Posted On: 01-19-2018
Replies: 23
Views: 371
0 Venison pastrami...
Last Post: HawgHeaven
Posted On: 01-19-2018
Replies: 10
Views: 100
0 Venison Backstraps (Super-Tender & Tasty)
Last Post: AJ
Posted On: 01-18-2018
Replies: 12
Views: 194
More...
Mini Stats
Members 7,527 Entries 1
Members Entries
Threads 43,189 Reviews 1
Threads Reviews
Posts 648,535 Polls 37
Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...

Old 01-30-2012, 07:40 AM
Pit Master

Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All
Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All

Thank You Rudy & Michael !!!

Bear

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 01-30-2012, 10:21 AM
Mbr#2259

ExhaustedSpark Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherExhaustedSpark Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherExhaustedSpark Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherExhaustedSpark Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherExhaustedSpark Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacher
Default Very nice

Great looking salmon. I sure miss my fish.

www.wedlinydomowe.com/

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage...ure-calculator

ExhaustedSpark
Disabled
Member American Legion
Life Member NRA
Life Member ARRL
Old 01-30-2012, 12:45 PM
Pit Master

Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All
Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All

Thank You Karl !!

Bear
Old 02-27-2012, 06:17 PM
Fire Starter

billebouy Knows How To Maintain A Pit

Been makin' this Salmon following Bearcarver's step-by-step for a while now, saw it on another site, can't seem to remember where...

Here's this weekend's batch, farm raised Atlantic from Chili (can't keep waitin' on that Florida Salmon run, ya know...) Was on sale at SweetBay, $5.99 per.

Old MES 40, Alder in the AMNPS, nope, doesn't stick to the grates,

Hey Bear, add a link to this thread to your sig!

Here ya go:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Imported Photos 00030.jpg (54.7 KB, 46 views)
Old 02-29-2012, 07:12 AM
Pit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by billebouy View Post
Been makin' this Salmon following Bearcarver's step-by-step for a while now, saw it on another site, can't seem to remember where...

Here's this weekend's batch, farm raised Atlantic from Chili (can't keep waitin' on that Florida Salmon run, ya know...) Was on sale at SweetBay, $5.99 per.

Old MES 40, Alder in the AMNPS, nope, doesn't stick to the grates,

Hey Bear, add a link to this thread to your sig!

Here ya go:

Thanks Bille !!!
Yours looks Perfect !!!

Thanks for telling me---I thought I had a link for that in my Signature!!!
I will in a few minutes! Update--It's now in my Signature.

LOL---I worked hard on this one---Took me 7 batches to get it right !!!

Thanks Again, and glad you like it,
Bear

Last edited by Bearcarver; 02-29-2012 at 07:31 AM. Reason: This Step by Step is now in my Signature.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:44 PM
Pit Master

erain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To All
erain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To All

great looking salmon snackers Bear... i like that you did a bunch of expierimenting and comparisons and found out what you liked best...

really has a great color to it too... there is a place up here in Motley, a city i drive through on my way to lake of the woods... about half way to Minn Bills, but i stop in there every now and then just to see what they got going on... is a huge outfit and they have a huge amount of smoked fish as well as fresh fish for sale. but they make some interesting "snackers" too. all sorts of outer spices added CBP, cajun, tomato basil, to name some. will occaisionally try some just to see if is something i might be interested in trying to make meself.

great thread, thanks for sharing. definetly needs some ...
Dutch Ovens and other CI
Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

Old 02-29-2012, 03:12 PM
Pit Master

Thank You very much, Erain!!!

If I had a supply of fish like you bring in with hook, line, and tip-up, I'd be smoking a lot more fish!!!

Thanks,
Bear
Old 04-01-2012, 09:57 PM
Fire Starter

jhegg Is Just Starting Out

Bear,
I have now smoked three batches of salmon/trout/whitefish (using your brine) and brought them into work for a taste test. Without fail, the comments can be summarized as follows:

"That was the best smoked fish that I have ever had!"

I agree - Thank you!!!!!

Jim
Old 04-02-2012, 08:40 AM
Pit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhegg View Post
Bear,
I have now smoked three batches of salmon/trout/whitefish (using your brine) and brought them into work for a taste test. Without fail, the comments can be summarized as follows:

"That was the best smoked fish that I have ever had!"

I agree - Thank you!!!!!

Jim

Thank You Very Much, Jim!

I'm glad everyone likes it.
Believe it or not, it makes my day when I hear that about any of my Step by Steps.

Bear
Old 04-21-2012, 01:20 AM
Rub Mixer

Grogger27 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherGrogger27 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherGrogger27 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherGrogger27 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherGrogger27 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherGrogger27 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherGrogger27 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacher

Wow, Bear. I made a small batch of this up and it turned out great. Thanks for the recipe.

*~*~*~*~*~*

King-Griller Akorn Kamado
MES Electric 30"
ECB Gourmet Charcoal (mods in progress)
CharBroil Offset Smoker with mods
AMSPS & AMSTS
1951 International Harvester Fridge electric smoker (in progress)
Old 04-21-2012, 01:32 AM
Smoke it & they will come

Wingman Is  A Name Known To AllWingman Is  A Name Known To AllWingman Is  A Name Known To AllWingman Is  A Name Known To AllWingman Is  A Name Known To AllWingman Is  A Name Known To AllWingman Is  A Name Known To AllWingman Is  A Name Known To All
Wingman Is  A Name Known To AllWingman Is  A Name Known To AllWingman Is  A Name Known To AllWingman Is  A Name Known To AllWingman Is  A Name Known To AllWingman Is  A Name Known To AllWingman Is  A Name Known To All

Nicely done man!

Rob
Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
SmokingPit.com
Road-Quest.com

Yoder YS640
Yoder Wichita
Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale

Old 04-21-2012, 09:25 AM
Pit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grogger27 View Post
Wow, Bear. I made a small batch of this up and it turned out great. Thanks for the recipe.
That's Great!!!
Thank You!----Now do a bigger batch---You got all kinds of fish up there!!

Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
Nicely done man!
Thanks Buddy!

Bear
Old 04-21-2012, 04:38 PM
Learning from the Best

DDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To All
DDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To All

Good grief.

I just realized I forgot to give you some for this thread. Gonna go have yet another tasty salmon snack here in a few from my first ever salmon smoke using your method.

Dave
Weber Performer
Blue Thermapen
Auber Smoker Controller
Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88

-

"All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010
Old 04-21-2012, 06:11 PM
Pit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDave View Post
Good grief.

I just realized I forgot to give you some for this thread. Gonna go have yet another tasty salmon snack here in a few from my first ever salmon smoke using your method.

Dave
Thank You Dave!!
Glad you like it!!!

I gotta beat on my Kid to get me a mess of Salmon this year. That's not until around October.

Bear
Old 04-21-2012, 07:15 PM
Learning from the Best

DDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To All
DDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post
I gotta beat on my Kid to get me a mess of Salmon this year. That's not until around October.
I fear I'm most likely limited to store bought. Or some other unknown origin.

In which case I should probably freeze it for 30 days per your other tip?

I kind of glossed over that info when I read your thread in the beginning. Then I noticed it when I reread prior to getting everything ready. Fortunately the salmon I used had been in my neighbor's freezer for at least 2 months that I know of.

Haven't "horked" any of it up yet so we're good.

Dave
Weber Performer
Blue Thermapen
Auber Smoker Controller
Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88

-

"All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010
Old 04-22-2012, 09:19 AM
Pit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDave View Post
I fear I'm most likely limited to store bought. Or some other unknown origin.

In which case I should probably freeze it for 30 days per your other tip?

I kind of glossed over that info when I read your thread in the beginning. Then I noticed it when I reread prior to getting everything ready. Fortunately the salmon I used had been in my neighbor's freezer for at least 2 months that I know of.

Haven't "horked" any of it up yet so we're good.

Dave

Yeah---I got that from some University paper, a couple years ago. If you cook it to 160, the freeze isn't needed.
The freezing part had a chart. 30 days at Zero degrees, and shorter times for lower degrees, and longer times for higher than Zero degrees. I chose Zero, because that is exactly what my meat freezer is at all times.
A lot of peeps don't do that, and they're still kickin', but I don't have a problem playing it safe when I can.

If I couldn't wait that month, I'd take it to 160˚ internal, but I'd have to use higher temps, and do it quicker to keep it from getting too dry. Then I'd be getting less smoke on the fish.

Bear
Old 05-25-2012, 12:15 PM
Can't Get BIG W/O The Pig

BIGGLOPEZ Is  A Name Known To AllBIGGLOPEZ Is  A Name Known To All
BIGGLOPEZ Is  A Name Known To AllBIGGLOPEZ Is  A Name Known To AllBIGGLOPEZ Is  A Name Known To AllBIGGLOPEZ Is  A Name Known To AllBIGGLOPEZ Is  A Name Known To AllBIGGLOPEZ Is  A Name Known To AllBIGGLOPEZ Is  A Name Known To AllBIGGLOPEZ Is  A Name Known To AllBIGGLOPEZ Is  A Name Known To AllBIGGLOPEZ Is  A Name Known To AllBIGGLOPEZ Is  A Name Known To AllBIGGLOPEZ Is  A Name Known To AllBIGGLOPEZ Is  A Name Known To AllBIGGLOPEZ Is  A Name Known To AllBIGGLOPEZ Is  A Name Known To AllBIGGLOPEZ Is  A Name Known To AllBIGGLOPEZ Is  A Name Known To AllBIGGLOPEZ Is  A Name Known To AllBIGGLOPEZ Is  A Name Known To AllBIGGLOPEZ Is  A Name Known To AllBIGGLOPEZ Is  A Name Known To AllBIGGLOPEZ Is  A Name Known To AllBIGGLOPEZ Is  A Name Known To AllBIGGLOPEZ Is  A Name Known To All

Well done there Mr. Bear, Love me some Salmon. Just don't get to eat too much here in Az. The last one I did, did in the oven with a citrus glaze and served it with white rice and asparagus.

Thanks for sharing, I am going to have to try this soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1090776 - Copy.jpg (66.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg P1090777 - Copy.jpg (67.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg P1090778 - Copy.jpg (63.3 KB, 13 views)
Big Chief Electric smoker
Brinkmann barrel smoker
LEM sausage stuffer
Cabela's pro HD grinder
Maverick ET-732
ThermoWorks Thermapen
GrillGrates

Last edited by BIGGLOPEZ; 05-25-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:52 AM
Orycteropus Bbqensis

curious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To All
curious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To All

okay the brine looks pretty good.

But there are one or two pretty major contradictions in the text

Quote:
I have also read that there are two ways to eliminate parasites that are said to be in nearly all fish. You must either cook the fish to over 160 degrees, or freeze it for at least 30 days at Zero degrees or below (Or other temps for other lengths of time). Since I only want to smoke my Salmon & not cook them, I chose to freeze mine to 0 degrees for 30 days or more before smoking.
Okay fine you're making a cold smoked or low temp jerky style product

Or are you:-

Quote:
Keep smoker at 120˚ for about two hours.
Bump temp to 140˚
Two hours later, bump to 180˚
Remove pieces as they go above 140˚ internal.
How long this takes doesn't matter, just so they go over 140˚.
Some of mine have gone up to over 160˚, and it didn't hurt.
Well, to my mind going over 140 is proper cooked and definitely if it goes over 160.

Now don't get me wrong I'm not knocking the recipe and definitely not the cook :-)

But you might want to sort the text out a bit, and decide what you are actually making :-)

As it happens I picked up a bunch of cheap salmon yesterday and was wondering what to do with it.
Might give this a go - then again I might make salmon jerky - never actually done that.

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head
Old 05-26-2012, 08:16 AM
Pit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
okay the brine looks pretty good.

But there are one or two pretty major contradictions in the text

Okay fine you're making a cold smoked or low temp jerky style product

Or are you:-

Well, to my mind going over 140 is proper cooked and definitely if it goes over 160.

Now don't get me wrong I'm not knocking the recipe and definitely not the cook :-)

But you might want to sort the text out a bit, and decide what you are actually making :-)

As it happens I picked up a bunch of cheap salmon yesterday and was wondering what to do with it.
Might give this a go - then again I might make salmon jerky - never actually done that.

CA,
My two statements make sense to me (even after re-reading about 5 times).
The University paper I got the above information said in order to eliminate Parasites that are in nearly all fish, you have to either cook it to 160˚ internal, or freeze it to a few different temps, at differing lengths of time. I chose to use their "Freeze to ZERO for 30 days" because my Meat freezer is always at ZERO.

As for 140˚ being properly cooked in your mind, it is in mine too, but due to the above statement, 140˚ is not enough to get rid of parasites.

I got rid of the parasites by freezing to ZERO for 30 days, so my target was 140˚. Some of the pieces I tested were at 160˚ because they were thinner, and I said it didn't hurt them.

My method isn't "Cold-smoking", and it isn't "Hot Smoking to completely cooked" (over 160˚).
It is just what I posted.

I don't know what else to say. Maybe a different question would help.

I'll simplify a bit:
#1 Freeze at ZERO degrees for 30 days to get rid of parasite possibility.
#2 Smoke low & slow to get a lot of smoke on the fish. Go to 140˚ or more. If some of the thinner pieces get to 160˚, as long as they aren't too hard to eat, no problem. Taking the fish to 160˚ is not needed because of the freezing I did.

Bear

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Fish