Smoked-Meat Forums

Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Food & Cooking Safety

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Active Threads
0 Valentines dinner...Not trying to copy Fishawn...
Last Post: SMOKE FREAK
Posted On: 02-17-2018
Replies: 11
Views: 127
0 DDave's Reverse Flow Build
Last Post: TKOBBQ
Replies: 72
Views: 1,393
0 There are no Pics...
Last Post: Richtee
Replies: 19
Views: 321
0 Coconut Shrimp BAKED With A Mad Hunky Twist
Last Post: Fishawn
Replies: 15
Views: 278
0 Obviously love posting Food
Last Post: Spivitz
Replies: 51
Views: 1,103
More...
Mini Stats
Members 7,572 Entries 1
Members Entries
Threads 43,343 Reviews 1
Threads Reviews
Posts 651,216 Polls 37
Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...

Old 02-07-2012, 04:33 PM
Barque Berner

Mark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To All
Mark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMcG View Post
What's religion got to do with it
You have an extra "d" an your missing an "l", as in He........

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 02-07-2012, 04:41 PM
slicin and dicin

Jimh Is  A Name Known To All
Jimh Is  A Name Known To AllJimh Is  A Name Known To AllJimh Is  A Name Known To AllJimh Is  A Name Known To AllJimh Is  A Name Known To AllJimh Is  A Name Known To AllJimh Is  A Name Known To AllJimh Is  A Name Known To AllJimh Is  A Name Known To All

I thought all engineers were a little chaotic.....sorry Bob sometime I just can help myself
23"weber kettle

Old 02-07-2012, 04:52 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimh View Post
I thought all engineers were a little chaotic.....sorry Bob sometime I just can help myself
I'd take that as a compliment. Cant be helped really... we are faced with i-dots at every turn and gotta stay outta court.

McDonalds coffee too hot? Really?
Old 02-07-2012, 05:35 PM
<-----BITE ME!

DanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To All
DanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To AllDanMcG Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
You have an extra "d" an your missing an "l", as in He........
You guys are to easy
Old 02-07-2012, 05:55 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMcG View Post
You guys are to easy
Perhaps.... but...good.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:49 PM
Smokin Cowboy

mulepackin Is  A Name Known To All
mulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To Allmulepackin Is  A Name Known To All

Me, myself, I'm a cathartic engineer. Just ask my wife.

Beef. It's whats for dinner.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:36 PM
Pit Masters Assistant

Blowin Smoke Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlowin Smoke Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlowin Smoke Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlowin Smoke Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlowin Smoke Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlowin Smoke Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlowin Smoke Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlowin Smoke Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlowin Smoke Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlowin Smoke Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlowin Smoke Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlowin Smoke Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlowin Smoke Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlowin Smoke Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlowin Smoke Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlowin Smoke Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExhaustedSpark View Post
I wonder if the water stuffers sold by Eldons have a food safe stamp on them or some other type of marking we are supposed to look for. (Dakota stuffer)
Below is some copied text from Dakotah Sausage Stuffer site. I think you will find that any company legally manufacturing these type stuffers will use the proper materials.
---------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.dakotahsausagestuffer.com/operatestuf.htm
The Dakotah Sausage Stuffer operates on minimal water pressure (as little as 15# PSI). Precision injected to exact tolerances from food-grade ABS plastic. Listed as a 10 lb. capacity sausage stuffer. One person operation!

Old 02-08-2012, 12:43 AM
Rub Mixer

Adiochiro3 Is Becoming A Smoke GuruAdiochiro3 Is Becoming A Smoke GuruAdiochiro3 Is Becoming A Smoke GuruAdiochiro3 Is Becoming A Smoke GuruAdiochiro3 Is Becoming A Smoke GuruAdiochiro3 Is Becoming A Smoke GuruAdiochiro3 Is Becoming A Smoke GuruAdiochiro3 Is Becoming A Smoke Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExhaustedSpark View Post
A very interesting read but it still does not address the issue of using water pipe as a container. I would like to see some info on the directly referring to water pipe.
Thanks for posting this info also though.
Karl
I agree. I don't think the thing that started this (sausage stuffer) is really addressed here. If I'm brining/curing for long periods -- or just having food in contact with a surface for a good stretch of time -- then of course I will be extremely selective on containers. However, loading ground meat into a sausage stuffer for what amounts to a short period (10 min., max?) seems like an entirely different situation. Maybe I'm wrong...

The question on my mind is: "is it safe to have ground meat in contact with the pvc or abs for a few minutes?????"
Old 02-08-2012, 09:38 AM
Pit Masters Assistant

Blowin Smoke Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlowin Smoke Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlowin Smoke Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlowin Smoke Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlowin Smoke Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlowin Smoke Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlowin Smoke Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlowin Smoke Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlowin Smoke Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlowin Smoke Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlowin Smoke Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlowin Smoke Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlowin Smoke Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlowin Smoke Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlowin Smoke Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlowin Smoke Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adiochiro3 View Post
I agree. I don't think the thing that started this (sausage stuffer) is really addressed here. If I'm brining/curing for long periods -- or just having food in contact with a surface for a good stretch of time -- then of course I will be extremely selective on containers. However, loading ground meat into a sausage stuffer for what amounts to a short period (10 min., max?) seems like an entirely different situation. Maybe I'm wrong...

The question on my mind is: "is it safe to have ground meat in contact with the pvc or abs for a few minutes?????"
Assuming you are referring to non-food grade PVC and ABS. Well my thinking is why would I knowingly risk the chance of leaching heavy metals and known carcinogens into my sausage.

That homemade stuffer you are referring to if I remember cost around $500.00 to build. Owner stated in another forum that it was made out of sch 40 water pipe. The Dakotah stuffer runs between $160-$200 depending if you get the clear/solid tube and all made from food grade materials. Don't understand the benefits of the homemade unit.

Maybe I'm missing something here and that could be very well be possible.

Here is a viewable goggle book you can find test results and toxic properties of polymers and additives... I would have posted the content but the material has a copyright statement.

Last edited by Blowin Smoke; 02-08-2012 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Added information
Old 02-08-2012, 09:47 AM

chisoxjim Is  A Name Known To Allchisoxjim Is  A Name Known To Allchisoxjim Is  A Name Known To Allchisoxjim Is  A Name Known To All
chisoxjim Is  A Name Known To Allchisoxjim Is  A Name Known To Allchisoxjim Is  A Name Known To Allchisoxjim Is  A Name Known To Allchisoxjim Is  A Name Known To Allchisoxjim Is  A Name Known To Allchisoxjim Is  A Name Known To Allchisoxjim Is  A Name Known To Allchisoxjim Is  A Name Known To Allchisoxjim Is  A Name Known To Allchisoxjim Is  A Name Known To Allchisoxjim Is  A Name Known To Allchisoxjim Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowin Smoke View Post
Well my thinking is why would I knowingly risk the chance of leaching heavy metal's and known carcinogens into my sausage. .
pretty much says it all right there.

shortcuts and improvisation can kill when it comes to handling food.

i am also disappointed in regards to the cat who did the hit and run post that sparked this discussion.. pulling his pics and running away vs an adult discussion is pretty childish imo. I would have thought a moderator from another bbq site would know how to conduct themselves in a forum.

Twitter: @GrubSeeker

Last edited by chisoxjim; 02-08-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:48 PM
Mistfit ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ

Texas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To All
Texas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxjim View Post
pretty much says it all right there.

shortcuts and improvisation can kill when it comes to handling food.

i am also disappointed in regards to the cat who did the hit and run post that sparked this discussion.. pulling his pics and running away vs an adult discussion is pretty childish imo. I would have thought a moderator from another bbq site would know how to conduct themselves in a forum.
Therein lies the difference between men and boys... I guess they really don't want to uphold food safety... Shame...

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Old 02-13-2012, 06:29 PM
Pit Master

Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All
Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All

Very nice post here BlowingSmoke!!!!
Very informative!!!

Thanks,
Bear

BTW: Let us not forget that our "2012 A-Hole of the Year" is also a Mod from another BBQ Site.

Bear
Old 02-13-2012, 07:12 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post
our "2012 A-Hole of the Year" is also a Mod from another BBQ Site.
One may mention "other sites" here if they like. We don't much give a rat's ass
Old 02-13-2012, 07:36 PM
Pit Master

Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All
Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richtee View Post
One may mention "other sites" here if they like. We don't much give a rat's ass
Thanks Rich,
That was only me replying to post #29. Seemed to be the best wording to follow it with. There is usually a method to my madness, other than being afraid to mention the name of another BBQ site from this planet or another.

I agreed with Jim about the Moderator taking his ball and going home, but I found it more astounding how the brow-less wonder moderator conducted himself in the midst of Great Bunch of Smoked-Meat Inhabitants!

Bear
Old 02-13-2012, 10:00 PM
Rub Mixer

Adiochiro3 Is Becoming A Smoke GuruAdiochiro3 Is Becoming A Smoke GuruAdiochiro3 Is Becoming A Smoke GuruAdiochiro3 Is Becoming A Smoke GuruAdiochiro3 Is Becoming A Smoke GuruAdiochiro3 Is Becoming A Smoke GuruAdiochiro3 Is Becoming A Smoke GuruAdiochiro3 Is Becoming A Smoke Guru

Quote:
Assuming you are referring to non-food grade PVC and ABS. Well my thinking is why would I knowingly risk the chance of leaching heavy metals and known carcinogens into my sausage.

That homemade stuffer you are referring to if I remember cost around $500.00 to build. Owner stated in another forum that it was made out of sch 40 water pipe. The Dakotah stuffer runs between $160-$200 depending if you get the clear/solid tube and all made from food grade materials. Don't understand the benefits of the homemade unit.

Maybe I'm missing something here and that could be very well be possible.

Here is a viewable goggle book you can find test results and toxic properties of polymers and additives... I would have posted the content but the material has a copyright statement.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:23 PM
Pit Master

someAZdude Is  A Name Known To AllsomeAZdude Is  A Name Known To All
someAZdude Is  A Name Known To AllsomeAZdude Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
Therein lies the difference between men and boys... I guess they really don't want to uphold food safety... Shame...
This is why, as a newbie to smoking, curing, and all that goes with it (I have worked in restaurants for most of my life so am fairly familiar with safe food handling) I feel most comfortable here. The emphasis is on safety with a hearty dose of creativity, openness, and support. Can't think of a better site that I have seen on the web.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:11 PM

chisoxjim Is  A Name Known To Allchisoxjim Is  A Name Known To Allchisoxjim Is  A Name Known To Allchisoxjim Is  A Name Known To All
chisoxjim Is  A Name Known To Allchisoxjim Is  A Name Known To Allchisoxjim Is  A Name Known To Allchisoxjim Is  A Name Known To Allchisoxjim Is  A Name Known To Allchisoxjim Is  A Name Known To Allchisoxjim Is  A Name Known To Allchisoxjim Is  A Name Known To Allchisoxjim Is  A Name Known To Allchisoxjim Is  A Name Known To Allchisoxjim Is  A Name Known To Allchisoxjim Is  A Name Known To Allchisoxjim Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
The Dakotah stuffer runs between $160-$200 depending if you get the clear/solid tube and all made from food grade materials. Don't understand the benefits of the homemade unit.
neither do I, but I think we all know, or have known cats who are/were convinced that something they jerry-rigged together is superior to anything a person can buy.

Twitter: @GrubSeeker

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Food & Cooking Safety