Curious Aardvarks Sate Sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curious Aardvarks Sate Sauce

As this stuff pretty much always goes as soon as I make it I thought I'd share the recipe with you folk :-)

Curious Aardvark's Satay Sauce

Satay sauce is suitable both as a marinade/cooking coating and as a stand alone table dip and sauce.
    Traditional satay sauce uses coconut milk. I do not like coconut milk so I use ordinary milk. Personally I feel this makes a much more rounded sauce - that doesn't taste of coconut.

1 medium onion - finely chopped
    3 large or 5 small cloves of garlic peeled and chopped
    1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped ginger (I cheat and use it from a jar of ginger mousse I make)
    1 tablespoon olive oil (2x american tablespoon)
    1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper.
    1 1/2 tablespoons dark soy sauce (3x US tablespoon)
    3 large dessertspoons (american tablespoons) of smooth peanut butter (scoops really, don't be afraid to make big scoops :-) I end up using well over half a 340gram jar
    Skimmed milk - amount varies on thickness of sauce - but probably around a pint or 1/2 litre.
    Tabasco sauce to taste

1) add olive oil to medium saucepan and heat on a low setting.
    2) add the oinions and garlic and cook, with stirring till the oinions start to go translucent
    3) add 1/2 tsp freesh ground pepper
    4) turn up the heat slightly and add the soy sauce and ginger - stir well and cook for five minutes or so stirring all the time until it resembles a dark brown mush.
    5) add peanut butter and stir continuously until all the peanut butter has fully mixed with the oinion mixture
    6) add a little milk while stirring and combine thoroughly before adding some more.
    7) keep stirring and adding milk - turn heat up slightly - until satay sauce reaches the required consistency. I like mine thick enough to hld asoft peak - but thin enough to pour easily.
    8) after adding milk keep stirring till sauce starts to thicken and boil. If yoyu add too much milk add a little more peanut butter.
    9) taste and if you feel it's necessary add a little more soy sauce.
    10) then add tabasco sauce a drop or two at a time - A good satay sauce should have sufficient bite to be noticeable, but should never be hot enough to burn your lips. The heat should all come on the back taste after the whole peanut/garlic/oinion part you then get the heat.
    11) Satay sauce thickens considerably when cool - so if you want to use it as a warm dip make it slighlty thicker than if you want to use it as a marinade/coating.

Once made and cool satay sauce can be frozen for later use.

.To Use As A Marinade

Satay sauce is suitable as a marinade for just about everything.
    1) cut your meat into 1 1/2 inch 'cubes' - or prepare your prawns, scallops etc.
    2) place in a bowl and add a few tablespoons of cold satay sauce andmix well.
    3) leave overnight - or for however long you have.
    4) put your meat on skewers and bbq
    5) IMPORTANT - spoon some warm satay sauce over the kebabs after cooking and before serving.

One of the great things about this recipe is that if you add too much milk you can just add more peanut butter a soy sauce and problem solved :-)

(ooh satay shrimp - really should look at my own recipes more often lol)

Anyway try it out and let me know what you think :-)
    Attached Files
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Thanks CA... loved this on several occassions where I found myself working in Malaysia!
    Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

My best friend will come back from Florida for the summer and will bring me (I hope) about 10 lbs of rock shrimp and 10 lbs of Florida pinks. We've made kind of a tradition out of this. He supplies the shrimp and I supply the rest. Usually I marinade the pinks in a satay somewhat similar, but more traditional (I think). Mine goes like this.

4 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
      2 to 4 Thai chiles, seeded and minced (for a spicier sauce, leave the seeds in)
      2 cloves garlic, minced
      4 scallions, both white and green parts, trimmed and minced
      2/3 cup chunky peanut butter
      2/3 cup coconut milk, plus more if needed to thin the sauce
      1/4 cup Asian fish sauce or soy sauce, or more to taste
      2 tablespoon fresh lime juice, or more to taste
      4 teaspoons sugar, or more to taste

Combine the ginger, chile, garlic, scallions, peanut butter, coconut milk, fish sauce, lime juice, and sugar in a small, heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring well to mix, then reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until richly flavored, about 10 minutes. The sauce should be thick, but pourable; thin with coconut milk, if needed.

Remove from the heat and taste for seasoning, adding fish sauce, lime juice, or sugar as necessary; the sauce should be highly seasoned.

Then I'll marinade the pinks over night, skewer, grill, and baste every few minutes until done.

So that's mine.
      Next time I'm trying yours. It looks fantastic.

Tom

Comment

Alex,
        It sounds great, we love Satay around here and I can't wait to try this, Thanks for the recipe!!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

That sounds like SHIT

I'm taking away points for that!!!

just kidding! :)
          Thanks for taking time to put all that up.
          Lots of typing there.
          I'm not a big fan of Satay but enjoy it about once a year or so.
          I'll file it away and try it next time wifey wants me to do it.
          We usually use it with a chicken kabob.

Curry is about the same for me. Not a big fan but like it once in a while.
          I prefer it more dry and hot spicy than the super sauce creamy type, but that should be another thread.

Comment

Yours is definitely a more traditional thai recipe gunslinger.
            You've got all the classic thai ingredients in there.

One thing I'd mention about yours -
            1/4 cup Asian fish sauce or soy sauce, or more to taste
            Thai fish sauce is very spicy (also salty) so taste first rather than just substitute it for soy :-)

Reason my sauce is a lot simpler is simply that I wanted to increase the peanuttyness (gotta be a word). And I reduced the sauce down to it's basic flavour components.
            Like i say it's definitely not authentic - but I've yet to find anyone who hasn't liked it :-)

Thanks for comments and points folks !
            (got recipe points from bbally - I'm just a little bit chuffed lol)
            Last edited by curious aardvark; 05-13-2009, 07:44 AM.
            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
              Thanks for comments and points folks !
              (got recipe points from bbally - I'm just a little bit chuffed lol)

that's a damn fine thing to have happen...

sigpic

Comment

just a bump - it's hotta than icemans backyard in the uk at the moment.
                So bbquing.

Also found some of the peanut flour squirrel sent me many many years ago.
                It's still tight and vacpacked - so currently looking for my 'instant sate sauce' recipe.
                It's basically a dry 'rub' that turns into sate sauce with some milk and a little warming and mixing.
                Couldn't remmebr if I posted it here or not.

But hey, this stuff is just as good - and it's a great bbq sauce for whatever you're having today :-)

I'm looking at: lmon chicken kebabs, pigeon onna-stick, 11 count butterflied prawns.
                some bellpepper and onion sklewers and some marinated haloumi slices.
                With an eastern style pan cooked flat bread.
                And a mixed salad.

And sate sauce :-)
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

👍

SuperVman replies. WTF happened to him?
                  sigpic

Comment

I remember a few years back you were working on a recipe for this. If I recall you were using peanut powder. Glad you got it like you want it. I will definitely try it.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                      [emoji106]

SuperVman replies. WTF happened to him?
                      We Have the same bday. He usually sends me an email/text. He's around, not here though.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Working...
                      X