Double-Barrel Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double-Barrel Smoker

I had to snap pix for a woman on another site whose son is building her one after seeing mine, so I thought I would share them here. Many thanks to Mike Sell, whose site is unfortunately now down, for the invaluable help the site provided me in the design. I am honored to have been able to see it while it was still up. I never met you or talked to you, Mike, but you helped me out!

Materials:

3 -- 55-gallon closed barrels of similar design (1 is used to make the smoke chamber door, so it overlaps the cutout, and for the diffuser panel OR you can use the cutout metal for the diffuser panel.)
    3 -- 3" door hinges
    2 -- fixed casters
    2 -- swivel casters
    1 -- barrel stove kit (Vogelzang)
    1 or 2 -- double barrel stove adapting kit
    (You can buy 1 kit and order an extra damper from Vogelzang, or buy 2 kits and use the dampers from both, with extra parts left over. If, as I did, you buy the kits on end of heating season closeout, you will save buying the two kits over ordering the parts.)
    3 -- racks (available from Wal_mart or other grill parts outlets...I had to cut one in half)
    10 feet -- 2" angle iron
    8 feet -- 1" angle iron
    Nuts and bolts to put it together (each Vogelzang kit will have all nuts and bolts for its parts).
    1 -- grill thermometer
    1 kit -- door gasket rope (attach this to door with JB Weld, not the glue provided)
    16 or so -- Firebricks to line the bottom barrel, halfway up.
    Something for a handle, which may be as simple as 1" conduit bolted to the lid.

I welded some parts of this up, but you can just as easily bolt it all together. I bought all my stuff on closeout or end-of-season discount, except I ordered the extra damper, which cost me more than just buying the second kit. I have right at $180 in my smoker. Your costs may vary, especially if you find free barrels and scrounge other items I had to buy.

Be sure you burn a fire in the smoker at around 350 degree before using it, to take care of any contaminants in the barrels and season it in a bit. Like all smokers, it will get better the more you use it.

The pix are kind of self-explanatory. If you build one and have questions, let me know. I will try to help.

Nice build... I always wondered how you would make the temps even in the top barrel... Nice baffle idea.. That will work..

Thanks for sharing your build...
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

nice job i can't wait to see that thing loaded and working
      Please ignore all spelling errors and typos my pet monkey does all of my corespondence

Comment

Originally posted by PreacherRodgers View Post
        nice job i can't wait to see that thing loaded and working

Oh, it's been loaded a lot of times! I've had 90-plus pounds on it at one time. You must've missed my goat pic, posted elsewhere...

That's about 30 pounds of meat there. Leg quarters and ribs from 2 goats. Weather permitting, I will smoke 32 pounds of Boston butt this weekend.

Texas-Hunter, the diffuser also makes a great place to set two foil roasting pans to catch drippings, which is why the bottom of the smoke chamber barrel looks so clean and free from grease.
        Last edited by Jimbob; 05-21-2009, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Sweet! I guess the only suggestion I have is an ashing door in the bottom of the fire chamber might be nice. Altho it's prolly pretty easy to shovel out thru the loading door.

What kind of temp range ya get with that?
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

nice build for the baffle idea out of leftover drum
            Terry here
            Still have Christene

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
              Sweet! I guess the only suggestion I have is an ashing door in the bottom of the fire chamber might be nice. Altho it's prolly pretty easy to shovel out thru the loading door.

What kind of temp range ya get with that?
              No need for a door, it shovels right out in about 3-4 scoops. I can close it all up early if the meat is done, put foil and a plastic bucket over the chimney, and the fire will go out and save me some wood coals for next time. The bottom half of the firebox is lined with firebrick, which raises the floor a couple inches to make shoveling it out even easier.

I love this thing to cook with! The two best things about it to me are that the fire is separate from the smokebox, and that I can burn 100% wood if I choose. There is a huge difference in taste between a 100% wood smoke session and meat that has been smoked with wood as a secondary fuel. I've done both in this smoker.

Temp range is 175 to 500. I could actually grill on it if I wanted, but I use it for smoking exclusively. I try to keep it 190-225, never over 250. I have a redline on the thermometer at 250, so even from the house I can take a pair of binoculars and see what the temp is.

morkdach, thanks for the points. It took some R&D to realize I had to make the openings really big. You can see in the pix I where started out drilling holes, and quickly figured out in my test burn that I'd never get enough of those drilled. So I got out the Sawzall!

Comment

After looking at your smoker for the past 15 minutes I need to get out a wet vac. I'm very new to this as you can gues by my user name. How do you start the fire in the bottom barrel and can you smoke smaller quantities of meat without wasting the wood? Do you use water when you are smoking and if so do you just palce it on the rack in the upper barrel? I know it needs to go into a pot. Just sensing some smart a** replies from some people. I know I would.
                Again great job on your smoker!!!!

Comment

Just an FYI: Green Horn sent me a detailed PM of questions, too, and I answered them all that way. I just saw his post here. Hope to see some pix of yours when it is done, Green Horn!

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbob View Post
                    Just an FYI: Green Horn sent me a detailed PM of questions, too, and I answered them all that way.
                    Yer a good man Jimbob! - Well dammit- as soon as I can GIVE more anyway...
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I really like your baffle and if and when I get around to building my 275 gallon smoker with a sfb, I may just borrow your idea, if'n it's OK with you.

Comment

I would be honored, MichChef.

Comment

Nice looking smoker, Jimbob. Nothing finer that a big smoker full of meat.
                          sigpic
                          Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Rock On JimBob! You got that double ought loaded!
                            Sunset Eagle Aviation
                            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Working...
                            X