Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...
Old 06-01-2009, 05:04 PM
BOOMER SOONER !!!!!!

doctor phreak Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddoctor phreak Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddoctor phreak Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddoctor phreak Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddoctor phreak Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddoctor phreak Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddoctor phreak Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddoctor phreak Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddoctor phreak Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddoctor phreak Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddoctor phreak Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddoctor phreak Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddoctor phreak Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddoctor phreak Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God
Question Kippered Beef

does anybody know is this consider jerky or is it considered a beef stick...and does anyone have a reciepe or a know how to make....i know its thick and not real hard to chew like jerky ....kinda of soft.....i would like to make some....any ideas...thanks
Weber 22.5 Performer
GOSM 3405gw
Boomer Sooner Drum
Maverick ET-732
Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

BIG Mac

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 06-03-2009, 11:51 AM
Orycteropus Bbqensis

curious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To All
curious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To All

I do remember eating this in the states and I think (prepared to be corrected lol) that it's simply a ground jerky.

I make my ground jerky in the dehydrator and yeah - it's a lot softer and moister than solid meat jerky.

The only ground beef jerky I've made was with chocolate and that's a secret recipe (really it is lol)
But I've made a few with ground pork that are excellent.

the oracle of all things - wkipedia says:
Quote:
As a verb, "to kipper" means to preserve by rubbing with salt or other spices before drying in the open air or in smoke. So beef or other meat preserved in the same fashion can reasonably be called "kippered."
But that's just normal jerky, so who knows what they mean by 'kippered' over there. You have such odd names for cuts of meat that I see no reason why the tradition shouldn't extend to the processed side of things as well :-)

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head
Old 06-03-2009, 12:05 PM
canal Zone Brat

Kyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor phreak View Post
does anybody know is this consider jerky or is it considered a beef stick...and does anyone have a reciepe or a know how to make....i know its thick and not real hard to chew like jerky ....kinda of soft.....i would like to make some....any ideas...thanks

sorry Doc no clue...just did not want to ignore the post..

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:07 PM
188 lbs. 232 lbs lost.

Gunslinger Is  A Name Known To AllGunslinger Is  A Name Known To AllGunslinger Is  A Name Known To All
Gunslinger Is  A Name Known To AllGunslinger Is  A Name Known To AllGunslinger Is  A Name Known To AllGunslinger Is  A Name Known To AllGunslinger Is  A Name Known To AllGunslinger Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
I do remember eating this in the states and I think (prepared to be corrected lol) that it's simply a ground jerky.

I make my ground jerky in the dehydrator and yeah - it's a lot softer and moister than solid meat jerky.

The only ground beef jerky I've made was with chocolate and that's a secret recipe (really it is lol)
But I've made a few with ground pork that are excellent.

the oracle of all things - wkipedia says:
But that's just normal jerky, so who knows what they mean by 'kippered' over there. You have such odd names for cuts of meat that I see no reason why the tradition shouldn't extend to the processed side of things as well :-)
I have wondered about this myself many times. And the only conclusion I have come to is this, and I'm sure I'm probably wrong but here goes;
American jerky as CA has said many times is cooked. And for the most part, as evidenced by most all the jerky posts in forums, is true.
Kippered seems to be anything salt cured and dried. Preserved, but not cooked.

Tom
Old 06-03-2009, 12:24 PM
Orycteropus Bbqensis

yeah but the kippered jerky I remember was pretty soft and chewy. if it had just been salted/cured and dried a bit it would have been similiar to biltong - which it wasn't.
It was definitely a ground processed jerky of some kind.
I'll go have another look online ;-)
Quote:
Kippered beef jerky means moisturized beef jerky. More moisture results in a more tender beef jerky and more taste!
Hmm could be using a chemical additive that helps water retention and an enzyme that softens the meat.
Given the incredible lack of information on this process I'm going with: chemically modified protein structures and chemically added moisture retention.
But you can definitely get a similiar and more natural product at home with ground jerky.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:44 PM
188 lbs. 232 lbs lost.

Gunslinger Is  A Name Known To AllGunslinger Is  A Name Known To AllGunslinger Is  A Name Known To All
Gunslinger Is  A Name Known To AllGunslinger Is  A Name Known To AllGunslinger Is  A Name Known To AllGunslinger Is  A Name Known To AllGunslinger Is  A Name Known To AllGunslinger Is  A Name Known To All

You do have a point, Anteater dude.
I'm going with this as a definition.
Kippered, kipper, or kippering-A mythical process known only to Greek gods.

Tom
Old 06-03-2009, 01:33 PM
Rub Mixer

Jimr Is Better Then Most In His Neighborhood At Grilling & SmokingJimr Is Better Then Most In His Neighborhood At Grilling & Smoking

I've eaten kippered beef sticks and have to agree with doc, they are softer and similar to jerky, the not-ground type, but seemed to be a little more salty and had an almost sour taste to it......much like a snack stick with citric in it. Would a brine with citric acid in it be used then semi-dried be the process??
Old 06-03-2009, 02:34 PM
188 lbs. 232 lbs lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimr View Post
Would a brine with citric acid in it be used then semi-dried be the process??
Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
Kippered, kipper, or kippering-A mythical process known only to Greek gods.
This is the only explanation.
Actually, maybe you're on to something. Never considered brine.

Tom
Old 06-04-2009, 07:54 AM
Orycteropus Bbqensis

hmm citric acid is a preservative - but would also break down muscle fibres.
The brine would add the moisture - particularly if it was injected (which, this being a commercial process it definitely would be).

Could be you're onto something there :-)

Old 06-11-2009, 10:16 PM
Pit Master

crusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To All
crusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To All

this was a very interesting article on the subject, i think i needed a couple additional science classes to get it all

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...8/ai_55412222/

This site talks about cold smoking the beef as part of the process

http://www.texascooking.com/Askdocjohn062006.htm

did some more research looking at this from a different view, kinda reverse engineered it. if kippered herring is herring that is split, brined and cold smoked, would not the same be true of kippered beef?

would that allow you a higher moisture content?

just brainstorming

good luck
Island of Misfit Smokers Member #94

weber smokie joe
18.5" weber prefomer
22.5" weber kettle
ECB
Chargriller SnP well modified
one ugly ass drum smoker
New Braunfels Bandera in dry dock for a service life extension overhaul

and

saving for a trailer mounted 60" reverse flow for my christmas present

Last edited by crusty ol salt; 06-11-2009 at 11:05 PM. Reason: additional thoughts from a burnt brain
Old 06-11-2009, 11:19 PM
Square and On the Level

supervman Knows How To Mop The Meat

Well, I SURE like my kipper snacks but those fishies ain't beef! :)
Old 06-11-2009, 11:26 PM
Pit Master

crusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To All
crusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To All

not trying to steal this thread here is a thread i started on kippers

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...5362#post35362

weber smokie joe
18.5" weber prefomer
22.5" weber kettle
ECB
one ugly ass drum smoker

and

Old 06-12-2009, 12:09 AM
Rub Mixer

Jimr Is Better Then Most In His Neighborhood At Grilling & SmokingJimr Is Better Then Most In His Neighborhood At Grilling & Smoking

After reading ol salt's link on beef snacks I noticed there was encapsulated citric in some of the products made. There would be a start to "conjuring" up a recipe......
Old 06-13-2009, 07:52 AM
Orycteropus Bbqensis

cool very interesting article crusty - cheers for link :-)

So the best way to try and make ypur own kippered beef would be with an injected flavoured cure and a very slow drying process - probably in the fridge or a salami drying cabinet (if ya got one lol). And finish off with a few hours of cold smoke

You could probably do something similiar with a modified biltong process as well.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:23 AM
Reverend Coot

travcoman45 Is Becoming A Smoke Gurutravcoman45 Is Becoming A Smoke Gurutravcoman45 Is Becoming A Smoke Gurutravcoman45 Is Becoming A Smoke Gurutravcoman45 Is Becoming A Smoke Gurutravcoman45 Is Becoming A Smoke Gurutravcoman45 Is Becoming A Smoke Gurutravcoman45 Is Becoming A Smoke Gurutravcoman45 Is Becoming A Smoke Gurutravcoman45 Is Becoming A Smoke Guru

I was brainstormin to, then all a sudden this great white flash an it was all over with!

The plant I toured made some kippered stuff, was injected with I beleive the citric acid an some spices heavy on salt cause ya could smell an taste the salt in the air, oh an the dreaded liquid smoke! Stuff was cold smoked, read that as stored in a cooler, then processed. Don't know ifin that how everbody does it, but theres wasn't bad, wasn't great, but wasn't bad. Sure somebody round here can make us some far better!
Hillbilly Drum Smoker -(Trident 1)

Lots a cast iron an a large butcher knife collection!
Be proud a who an what yall are, don't let nobody tell ya different!
"I am a Combat Engineer, if I say "Whoops" it's every man for himself!"
Familia Partia et Scientia
Family Country and Knowledge
www.hillbillyvittlesllc.com
Our Blog: http://oldcoothillbilly.wordpress.com/
Old 06-17-2009, 10:28 PM
Pit Master

now i know some of you wild and crazy jerky making machines out there have been pondering what kind of injection, the perfect brine, how long of a soak, and just how dangerous it is to cold smoke beef.

We can't let doctor phreak down and let this thread die on the vine...

okay maybe we can, but it sure would be nice to see some ideas.

what if is as easy as this guy says in this article Kippered beef has been put thru a smoke cycle and jerky is just dried

http://www.texascooking.com/Askdocjohn062006.htm

God Bless

weber smokie joe
18.5" weber prefomer
22.5" weber kettle
ECB
one ugly ass drum smoker

and

Last edited by crusty ol salt; 06-17-2009 at 10:50 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Jerky