Pulled ham - second time of making.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulled ham - second time of making.

This is great stuff - all kudos to bear for bringing it to my attention :-)

Started with three shoulder joints. Probably 4-5 lb each (can't remember exactly).

They've been in my sweetcure for 2-3 weeks last couple weeks just waiting for weather and freetime to coincide. Which was yesterday
    This is one reason I mostly use a cure salt that has both nitrite and nitrate in it. Means there is no critical time to remove from fridge - you can leave it months if you like - though that has interesting side effects, a few weeks though is no problem at all.
    I deliberately used a low salt cure and rub so that between the two there would be enough salt and not way to much. With a standard bacon or ham cure you would end up with too much salt in the final product.

This would be the perfect project for the salt free Mad Hunky GP rub though
    (come on I must be on commissiojn by now )

Cure rinsed off and ready for seasoning.

Don't have enough MH left for three - so made up a slightly modified batch of my chinese rub instead. Added 1 tsp each of coriander and paprika to original recipe. Made a double batch.
    Light rub of ketchup and then liberal application of rub. Both sides.

Ready for the smoker

I put the probes in at the start. Rich doesn't - I do, mind you given that this is cured - there's no microbial issue anyway. But if it hadn't been cured, I'd have done it the same way

Once rubbed these went straight into the smoker which was already cruising at somewhere between 250-300. And that's as precise as I think it's necessary to be
    Used combination of bay and lilac wood. Because that was what was on hand.

Couple hours in and looking good. Temps between the top and bottom trays surprisingly well matched. Only swapped places once through the whole cook.

At this point I started thinking about dinner. Which was Pork and stilton sausage (new recipe). Stewing beef marinaded and treated with meat tenderiser powder, my burgers. Mini pittas with sundried tomatos, cheese, sweet pepper and garlic and some corn on the cob done walking dudes way. Potato salad and garlic bread.
    No pictures of any of this as I was cooking and watching telly at the same time

Pork went into foil before or just after dinner (can't remember) at 165 - bout 10 minutes between the trays reaching temp. Plenty natural juices in both trays so did not add any other liquid.
    Hit 195 at around 23:00 - stalled for a bit, or the temps simply weren't high enough with me buggering about grilling dinner over the coals - went in 15:30 so total cook time of 7.5 hours.

Started pulling at around midnight - when internal temp hit 150 (asbestos fingers)
    All three were very easy to pull (and eat)

Defatted Juices went into saucepan with lots of redcurrnt jelly, some balsamic vinegar and squirt of ketchup. Reduced to about half volume.

And mixed back into the pork. Hot damn this stuff is tasty

This is not out of focus - the camera was drooling

I pack my pp into smallish foil trays. Quicker and easier than vac pouches and seems to keep at least as well.

I get between 11-12 ounces per container. Which is enough for two serious pulled ham sarnies

Ended up with 13 containers - just under 10lb of pulled ham.
    Should keep me going for a while
    Attached Files
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Holy crap, those sandwiches are making some serious drool in my mouth!
    Mike
    Life In Pit Row

Comment

Nice!...thats some good looking pulled ham.
      Will have to try that for sure.
      Steve

Comment

Great looking ham,
        God, Family and Friends is what it's all about. Great food just brings them all together... First John1:9...
        Weber Performer Gold
        Masterbuilt 26" twins
        Big Chief Electric smoker
        Brinkmann barrel smoker
        LEM sausage stuffer
        Cabela's pro HD grinder
        Maverick ET-732
        ThermoWorks Thermapen
        GrillGrates

Comment

CA, you got me at "Defatted Juices went into saucepan with lots of redcurrnt jelly, some balsamic vinegar and squirt of ketchup. Reduced to about half volume."

Jeezus man, Arrrggghhh!!!
          Last edited by HawgHeaven; 10-07-2012, 05:01 PM.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

That looks freakin' AWESOME, CA !!!!!---------

You know for a fact that I'd be all over that stuff!!!!!

I generally probe my cured meats when I put them in the smoker, but wait a few hours on my non-cured hunks. Just the way I learned.

Bear
            Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
            Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

That looks fantastic mate ill have to try this some time.
              Btw how did you find the bay wood I've got a bit seasoning at the moment
              sigpic

Mary had a little lamb her father shot it dead, now it goes to school with her between two lumps of bread

Comment

Heh... I guess at some point I should get you a bag on the No Salt just so you can play around :{)

I have been doin' the pulled ham for a while, and it IS excellent, and a neat change from plain PP. Looks great man!
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Gotta try this sometime & it looks/sounds outstanding with that sauce in it

sigpic

Comment

Good looking stuff, Alex. Damn well made me drool over that sandwich.
                    sigpic
                    Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Originally posted by dales133 View Post
                      That looks fantastic mate ill have to try this some time.
                      Btw how did you find the bay wood I've got a bit seasoning at the moment
                      it comes from the 20ft bay tree in the garden :–)
                      had a serious pruning last year. same deal with the lilac wood.

cheers for points and comments

i have tried the salt free mh rich.
                      thought it needed salt
                      but for something like this, done with a regular strength salt cure, would be ideal and if you were to use TQ I would think it would be essential to use a no-salt rub for the cook
                      Last edited by curious aardvark; 10-08-2012, 05:34 AM.
                      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

I've got some decent cuttings of some 8 year old bay trees , biggest pieces are about 80 mm round.
                        Also got some native pepper tree trunks n branches, can't wait to try this on some beef
                        sigpic

Mary had a little lamb her father shot it dead, now it goes to school with her between two lumps of bread

Comment

pepper tree should be interesting.
                          Though not sure if you'll get the same sort of effect you get with bay trees.

The essential oils permeate every part of a bay tree - presumably it's some form of insect repellant. So the smoke from the wood does smell the same as the leaves.

Is it the fruit of the pepper tree that is used or the leaves ?
                          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Well it grows long vine like pepper clusters, it's verry closely relAted to its more famous Indonesian cousin.
                            The leaves are almost furn like and the barks leathery and green, was gona try a smoke with 20% pepper 40 percent hickory and 40 pear.
                            In my mind this should be a pretty good combo for beef
                            sigpic

Comment

go for it :-)
                              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                              X