Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally finished... Maple syrup Evaporator from a fuel barrel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally finished... Maple syrup Evaporator from a fuel barrel.

make this short and sweet with lots of pics...

started out with a fuel oil barrel,

marked off area to cut out

sawzall action

save end piece from cutout section

built frame work for burner area and air channel

sheeted it out with steel, notice all surfaces are set on a slope which is to stack the firebrick on for insulation pushing all the hot air up to the evaporator pan area.

here we are back to the fuel barrel...

try and insert unit into fuel barrel, I had to open up the barrel in a cupla places to get the insert to fit, didnt consider the hypotenuse length.

fit the fire brick into place, diamond saw blade works well.

using refractory cement mortar the fire brick all up in place and fill in any gaps.

cemented a furnace rope seal on the evaporator pan surface.

got a barrel stove kit for a door and stack/damper...

Here is the actual s/s divided evaporator pan

the way this one works is the dividers are notched out to allow the sap to flow through the pan much the same way an Amaz N Smoker works.

here is all pieces in place including the raw sap pan, i am thinking of running a flu from the side of the barrel and run it up and around the raw sap pan and maybe preheat the sap maybe cutting a bit of time off the process.

The insert with the fire bricks is not fastened to the barrel in any fashion as the evaporator pan has to be perfectly level so I made leveling screws on each corner.

this is my draw off point which is on the opposite end of the pan from where the raw sap enters. the thermo on the pan is specially made for maple syrup making. as sap heats up the thermo wil make one full turn and settle in on the "0" mark when it is at boiling temp. as the sugar level increases so does the boiling point so when it gets to the "7", 212 + 7 = 219. I will draw off slightly before that and finish off in larger quantities for better consistancy.

Also props to Jim Shumacher of Smoky Lake maple equipment supplies and Maple Trader.com forum

Anyway we are in the middle of a boom season here and i really dont have much time to even post but because of the snowstorm I played catch up this morning and finished off stuff i had taken down close but not totally finished. Needless to say the new unit works awesome and that will be another post on the maple season maybe in a day or two.

thks for checking.
    Charbroil SFB
    GOSM
    MES
    Dutch Ovens and other CI
    Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
    Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Great work E!! Very nice!!
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Sweet!!!
      FBJ

WSM
      Med. Spicewine
      Stumps GF223
      KCBS/NEBS Member
      KCBS CBJ

Comment

WOW!
        sigpic

Comment

Well that is so cool! Not that I need one here in Florida!
          Sunset Eagle Aviation
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
            WOW!
            Double WOW!!!!
            Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
            Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
            1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
            Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
            Weber Smokey Joe
            Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
            Pink Thermapen
            Purple Thermapen

Comment

Now that an impressive build Great job E and thanks for posting .. not that I need one ... I just like to see someone elses handy work ....keep us posted on the results.

Oh and stupid question from the west coast ..... Why do you need to evaporate the syrup ...I'm guessing to thicken

Comment

Well E, that puts my setup of a turkey fryer and coleman stove to shame. Left my taps in, and my kid has been saying its been pouring out.... Gotta pay the bills tho. It was 90* and really hunid at work today..... Still I wish I was home. Love to get a look at your setup up close.
                Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Originally posted by Checkered Past View Post
                  Oh and stupid question from the west coast ..... Why do you need to evaporate the syrup ...I'm guessing to thicken
                  actually your evaporating the water from the maple sap to get it to the syrup point. Its almost water when you get it straight from the tree.

Originally posted by IrishChef View Post
                  Well E, that puts my setup of a turkey fryer and coleman stove to shame. Left my taps in, and my kid has been saying its been pouring out.... Gotta pay the bills tho. It was 90* and really hunid at work today..... Still I wish I was home. Love to get a look at your setup up close.
                  2 years ago i had 3 turkey fryers going at times and no way i could keep up not to mention go to work on top of it... not to mention the propane cost, i think it was over 200 bux. that said, you gotta be going for more than a cupla pints to run something like this.

I think you were collecting earlier this year prob because your snow was melted from around the tree, if i am correct your pic showed a silver maple, they have a bit different bark. But out in the woods the snow cover remained and kept the ground colder and held the run off. And now the weather has been holding in the ideal sugaring conditions, below freezing at night and above during the day. if forecast holds this could run another full week or even more. Awful late season but no sign of budding at all. I do have a feeling when it does end its going to be sudden.

I got another post in the works on how it works and just how this season is unfolding that you will like.
                  Charbroil SFB
                  GOSM
                  MES
                  Dutch Ovens and other CI
                  Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                  Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Wow!!!!

Here I thought you were just a Great Hunter & Fisherman!!!

Nice Work!!!

Bear
                    Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Serious fab work "E". Kudos on a great job...
                      ---------------------------------------------------
                      I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                      ---------------------------------------------------
                      KCBS CBJ

Comment

That's a really nice build E. Looking forward to your follow up post. One of these years I'm going to tap the dozen maples at dads place.
                        S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                        CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                        New Braunfels Bandera
                        UniFlame Gas Grill
                        Lil Chief

Comment

Working...
                        X