Bottom round roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bottom round roast

I've not smoked bottom round many times but while browsing the meat aisle, one small cut caught my eye. It was a little over 1.5#s and had a good thickness to it. I rubbed it down with montreal steak seasoning prior to feeding it to Lala.

Smoke details:
    90% cherry wood / 10% pecan to generate the smoke
    Internal smoker temp ranged from 225 - 275
    Did not spritz with anything
    Took roast to internal temp of 150 and rested for an hour before slicing

Packaged roast

Roast and rub

Rubbed down and on the smoker

Sliced

Lang 48 Patio | Brinkmann gourmet charcoal water smoker
    Yellow Thermapen | Maverick ET-73 | Maverick ET-72
    sigpic

Nice smoke ring. What, no side by side comparison?
    KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Originally posted by wutang View Post
      Nice smoke ring. What, no side by side comparison?
      LOL ... didn't think of it but that was the only lonely cut of meat without a "vs" next to it! Nice catch!

Lang 48 Patio | Brinkmann gourmet charcoal water smoker
      Yellow Thermapen | Maverick ET-73 | Maverick ET-72
      sigpic

Comment

That looks real goooooooooooooooood.
        Chargriller Pro w. sfb
        Ducane 4100 propane grill
        Brinkman Electric

Member # 200

Comment

Wow, I saw that sitting there in the background in Lala wondering what is that??
          You got the beautiousest smoke ring on there.. nice and juicy.. yummy, I want a sammie!!!!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Looks good to me. 150 is about right for a lean roast like that. Bottom round is what I use for jerky cause its usually quite lean.
            Craig
            sigpic

Comment

Very nice, Laurel! Beautiful smoke ring!
              Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
              Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
              1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
              Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
              Weber Smokey Joe
              Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
              Pink Thermapen
              Purple Thermapen

Comment

nice real nice
                Please ignore all spelling errors and typos my pet monkey does all of my corespondence

Comment

awesome laurel!!! great smoke ring, that roast had some fairly decent marbling to it as well. nice piece a meat = great smoke!!! nice one laurel
                  Charbroil SFB
                  GOSM
                  MES
                  Dutch Ovens and other CI
                  Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                  Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Can some one tell me how to get drool off my key board. Great job.
                    Col. Big Guy

Comment

My son found this recipe after his wife bought a bottom round. Since then we have both tried it. We marinated the roast overnight, then shortened the cooking time and brought it up to 140. We both love rare beef. I both cases, the beef came out tender and juicy. We've been cooking London Broils this way for a while. Glad to add another cut.

brnthumb

Comment

Ouch. A lean roast like that should of been pulled at 130 and rested for 20-30 minutes for a perfect 135. IMO, it was destroyed.

150 for a lean roast, whether it be beef or pork is overcooked by a mile.

Remember, the internal temp will continue to rise for a while after pulling off the cooker. There is zero pink left in that thing.

I know everyone likes to be polite on forums, but someone has to be the bad guy. I guess I just volunteered.

Destroyed.
                        sigpic

Modded Brinkmann Gourmet. Basic UDS. Rescued 22.5" OTS. Stubbs. B&B Oak Lump

Comment

Originally posted by sumosmoke View Post
                          That shot looks like it should be in a magazine either selling a seasoning or a cooking section, very nice

Originally posted by brnthumbinfl View Post
                          My son found this recipe after his wife bought a bottom round. Since then we have both tried it. We marinated the roast overnight, then shortened the cooking time and brought it up to 140. We both love rare beef. I both cases, the beef came out tender and juicy. We've been cooking London Broils this way for a while. Glad to add another cut.

brnthumb
                          brnthumbinfl.

What did you marinate it in?
                          There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

And it was turned into this brown piece of meat with a smoke ring:

Hey nothing personal to anyone, but that is past well done. It's not a brisket, it's a sirloin roast.

Should look closer to this:

http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/a...e/IMG_3722.jpg
                            Last edited by El Ropo; 05-19-2012, 12:15 AM.
                            sigpic

Modded Brinkmann Gourmet. Basic UDS. Rescued 22.5" OTS. Stubbs. B&B Oak Lump

Comment

Hey El Ropo, man that seems to really bug you.

Personally I love most of my meats a nice medium to med-rare but some people like their meat cooked different than you or I.
                              Hell, until I moved out on my own I had no idea that alllllllllll beef wasn't supposed to be well done (well before I moved out but you get what I'm saying) but that's the way Mom cooked meat.
                              Once I fell asleep and brought an EOR to almost 200, but it wasn't horrible and after a little jus and such all was fine.
                              Maybe sumo meant to bring it to well done maybe it went a bit past in resting but whatever the reason there's no need to bash it but great that you are offering up some helpful information.
                              This is a site of great smoke artists, and good folks.
                              We like our gator burgers rare and our toast buttered so let's not tell anyone how they should season their ramen noodles
                              Last edited by Fire it up; 05-19-2012, 01:19 AM.
                              There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X