Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...

Old 07-06-2009, 03:17 PM
Lang Lover

sumosmoke Knows How To Mop The Meat
Default Bottom round roast

I've not smoked bottom round many times but while browsing the meat aisle, one small cut caught my eye. It was a little over 1.5#s and had a good thickness to it. I rubbed it down with montreal steak seasoning prior to feeding it to Lala.

Smoke details:
90% cherry wood / 10% pecan to generate the smoke
Internal smoker temp ranged from 225 - 275
Did not spritz with anything
Took roast to internal temp of 150 and rested for an hour before slicing

Packaged roast

Roast and rub

Rubbed down and on the smoker

Sliced

Lang 48 Patio | Brinkmann gourmet charcoal water smoker
Yellow Thermapen | Maverick ET-73 | Maverick ET-72

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 07-06-2009, 03:19 PM
Smokin meat Wu-Tang Style

wutang Is  A Name Known To All
wutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To All

Nice smoke ring. What, no side by side comparison?
KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan
Old 07-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Lang Lover

sumosmoke Knows How To Mop The Meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutang View Post
Nice smoke ring. What, no side by side comparison?
LOL ... didn't think of it but that was the only lonely cut of meat without a "vs" next to it! Nice catch!

Lang 48 Patio | Brinkmann gourmet charcoal water smoker
Yellow Thermapen | Maverick ET-73 | Maverick ET-72
Old 07-06-2009, 03:21 PM
Meat give me MEAT

lynsey123 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlynsey123 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlynsey123 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlynsey123 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlynsey123 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlynsey123 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlynsey123 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlynsey123 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlynsey123 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlynsey123 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlynsey123 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlynsey123 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlynsey123 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlynsey123 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlynsey123 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God

That looks real goooooooooooooooood.

Member # 200

Old 07-06-2009, 03:22 PM
Thin & Blue brother <3

Bbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To All
Bbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To All

Wow, I saw that sitting there in the background in Lala wondering what is that??
You got the beautiousest smoke ring on there.. nice and juicy.. yummy, I want a sammie!!!!

PROUD MEMBER # 49
The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged PINK THERMAPEN

Old 07-06-2009, 03:42 PM
Up in Smoke

SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All
SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All

Looks good to me. 150 is about right for a lean roast like that. Bottom round is what I use for jerky cause its usually quite lean.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:21 PM
Pit Master

sweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To All
sweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To All

Very nice, Laurel! Beautiful smoke ring!

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Chargriller Duo w/ SFB
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
Weber Smokey Joe
Brinkman Electric Smoker
Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
Pink Thermapen
Purple Thermapen
Old 07-18-2009, 04:53 PM
fire and brimstone

PreacherRodgers Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodPreacherRodgers Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodPreacherRodgers Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodPreacherRodgers Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodPreacherRodgers Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodPreacherRodgers Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodPreacherRodgers Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodPreacherRodgers Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodPreacherRodgers Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodPreacherRodgers Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodPreacherRodgers Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodPreacherRodgers Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodPreacherRodgers Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodPreacherRodgers Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodPreacherRodgers Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodPreacherRodgers Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God

nice real nice
Old 07-18-2009, 05:46 PM
Pit Master

erain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To All
erain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To All

awesome laurel!!! great smoke ring, that roast had some fairly decent marbling to it as well. nice piece a meat = great smoke!!! nice one laurel
Dutch Ovens and other CI
Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

Old 07-18-2009, 05:50 PM
Pit Master

Big Guy Is  A Name Known To All
Big Guy Is  A Name Known To AllBig Guy Is  A Name Known To AllBig Guy Is  A Name Known To AllBig Guy Is  A Name Known To AllBig Guy Is  A Name Known To AllBig Guy Is  A Name Known To AllBig Guy Is  A Name Known To AllBig Guy Is  A Name Known To AllBig Guy Is  A Name Known To AllBig Guy Is  A Name Known To All

Can some one tell me how to get drool off my key board. Great job.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:59 AM
Smoked-Meat Newbie

brnthumbinfl Is Just Starting Out

My son found this recipe after his wife bought a bottom round. Since then we have both tried it. We marinated the roast overnight, then shortened the cooking time and brought it up to 140. We both love rare beef. I both cases, the beef came out tender and juicy. We've been cooking London Broils this way for a while. Glad to add another cut.

brnthumb
Old 05-18-2012, 09:03 PM
Smokin' Fool

El Ropo Is Just Starting Out

Ouch. A lean roast like that should of been pulled at 130 and rested for 20-30 minutes for a perfect 135. IMO, it was destroyed.

150 for a lean roast, whether it be beef or pork is overcooked by a mile.

Remember, the internal temp will continue to rise for a while after pulling off the cooker. There is zero pink left in that thing.

I know everyone likes to be polite on forums, but someone has to be the bad guy. I guess I just volunteered.

Destroyed.

Modded Brinkmann Gourmet. Basic UDS. Rescued 22.5" OTS. Stubbs. B&B Oak Lump
Old 05-18-2012, 10:40 PM
In Memoriam

Fire it up Is  A Name Known To AllFire it up Is  A Name Known To AllFire it up Is  A Name Known To All
Fire it up Is  A Name Known To AllFire it up Is  A Name Known To AllFire it up Is  A Name Known To AllFire it up Is  A Name Known To AllFire it up Is  A Name Known To AllFire it up Is  A Name Known To AllFire it up Is  A Name Known To AllFire it up Is  A Name Known To AllFire it up Is  A Name Known To AllFire it up Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumosmoke View Post
That shot looks like it should be in a magazine either selling a seasoning or a cooking section, very nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by brnthumbinfl View Post
My son found this recipe after his wife bought a bottom round. Since then we have both tried it. We marinated the roast overnight, then shortened the cooking time and brought it up to 140. We both love rare beef. I both cases, the beef came out tender and juicy. We've been cooking London Broils this way for a while. Glad to add another cut.

brnthumb
brnthumbinfl.

What did you marinate it in?

Old 05-19-2012, 12:09 AM
Smokin' Fool

And it was turned into this brown piece of meat with a smoke ring:

Hey nothing personal to anyone, but that is past well done. It's not a brisket, it's a sirloin roast.

Should look closer to this:

http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/a...e/IMG_3722.jpg

Last edited by El Ropo; 05-19-2012 at 12:15 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:23 AM
In Memoriam

Fire it up Is  A Name Known To AllFire it up Is  A Name Known To AllFire it up Is  A Name Known To All
Fire it up Is  A Name Known To AllFire it up Is  A Name Known To AllFire it up Is  A Name Known To AllFire it up Is  A Name Known To AllFire it up Is  A Name Known To AllFire it up Is  A Name Known To AllFire it up Is  A Name Known To AllFire it up Is  A Name Known To AllFire it up Is  A Name Known To AllFire it up Is  A Name Known To All

Hey El Ropo, man that seems to really bug you.

Personally I love most of my meats a nice medium to med-rare but some people like their meat cooked different than you or I.
Hell, until I moved out on my own I had no idea that alllllllllll beef wasn't supposed to be well done (well before I moved out but you get what I'm saying) but that's the way Mom cooked meat.
Once I fell asleep and brought an EOR to almost 200, but it wasn't horrible and after a little jus and such all was fine.
Maybe sumo meant to bring it to well done maybe it went a bit past in resting but whatever the reason there's no need to bash it but great that you are offering up some helpful information.
This is a site of great smoke artists, and good folks.
We like our gator burgers rare and our toast buttered so let's not tell anyone how they should season their ramen noodles

Last edited by Fire it up; 05-19-2012 at 01:19 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:44 AM
Mistfit ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ

Texas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To All
Texas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ropo View Post
Ouch. A lean roast like that should of been pulled at 130 and rested for 20-30 minutes for a perfect 135. IMO, it was destroyed.

150 for a lean roast, whether it be beef or pork is overcooked by a mile.

Remember, the internal temp will continue to rise for a while after pulling off the cooker. There is zero pink left in that thing.

I know everyone likes to be polite on forums, but someone has to be the bad guy. I guess I just volunteered.

Destroyed.

I don't think your being the bad guy... It's your opinion, and like FIU said... It may be a preference.. I know folks that I have been to high end steak houses and order there bone-in ribeye well done.. They just do not want any blood in the meat...

Quote:
And it was turned into this brown piece of meat with a smoke ring:

Hey nothing personal to anyone, but that is past well done. It's not a brisket, it's a sirloin roast.

Should look closer to this:

Not trying to be the bad guy here....

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Old 05-19-2012, 11:35 AM
Smokin' Fool

The only thing that bugged me about this whole thread is all the polite folks who said it looked great without mentioning "well done++++".

Poor guy is gonna go buy another one and cook it the same way.

At some point, ya gotta call it like it is, and offer good advice. Telling people their 160 degree sirloin roast looks good is just encouraging them to ruin more expensive meat.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:42 AM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:

At some point, ya gotta call it like it is, and offer good advice. Telling people their 160 degree sirloin roast looks good is just encouraging them to ruin more expensive meat.
I thought it looked great for a well done slice of beef. Perhaps that was the goal?

And I would send that second pict back to the cooker...
Old 05-19-2012, 12:06 PM
Smokin' Fool

Fireitup, you are right, I'm whining about nobody else offering up alternative cooking solutions.

OK, I'll start.

Reverse sear. Slow smoke that puppy till it hits an internal of 115, then toss on a hot fire to sear both sides. Pull off fire no later than internal temp of 130. Tent under foil on cutting board for 20-30 minutes to allow juices to redistribute. During rest period, the temp will continue to rise to a perfect 135ish. Slice across the grain and enjoy a little bit of heaven.

Reverse sear allows the whole roast to come up to temp, so it's evenly cooked from end to end, from skinny side to big side. Try it, you'll like it.

When doing a cook like this, it's better to keep the roast as cold as possible before tossing on pit, better chance of developing bark and ring.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Beef