fridge conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fridge conversion

I'm doing an old Hotpoint LP gas fridge conversion. Its all porcelain inside...I have the stack all done.

I have a 1500 watt hotplate inside....
    And its going to get hooked up to an Aubin controller..
    Do I need to drill vent holes on the side?

I was thinking a couple holes near the bottom and then building a closure to adjust them.
    Do I need them?

Yes you need them to draw air out the chimney. Adjustable is a good idea. This would be cool: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/300913027228?lpid=82
    sigpicSmoke meat, not crack
    Sullys bangin' ass jerkey-
    Pepperoni-Pernil-Spicy snack stix-Ryans crab cakes-Dip for smoked fish-Lox-Beer brittle-Pizza crust-Spinach and artichoke dip-Garlic link-Pizza Links-

Comment

figured...just wanted to double check..I have tile hole saws and plan on putting three 1" holes through the side.

Weld some pipe to an aluminum plate and then mount it so the pipes run through into the box, and then fashion a slider to adjust.

Comment

Here is one that I did this year.....

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25841
        Don..

2 of me best buds ever! R.I.P guys

Comment

I was looking through that thread...where do you have your vents?
          did I just miss them cruising through the pictures?

Comment

Originally posted by redruff View Post
            I was looking through that thread...where do you have your vents?
            did I just miss them cruising through the pictures?
            I cut them into all 4 sides of the pan I have my element in. I ontrol draft with damper in stack.

Last edited by merrell; 12-21-2013, 06:56 PM.
            Don..

Comment

Where do you put them things? Theyre awesome! My neigbors would $h!t themselves if i had a smokin fridge in my yard!
              sigpicSmoke meat, not crack
              Sullys bangin' ass jerkey-
              Pepperoni-Pernil-Spicy snack stix-Ryans crab cakes-Dip for smoked fish-Lox-Beer brittle-Pizza crust-Spinach and artichoke dip-Garlic link-Pizza Links-

Comment

Originally posted by Charcuteryan View Post
                Where do you put them things? Theyre awesome! My neigbors would $h!t themselves if i had a smokin fridge in my yard!
                Got mine in front of house but I also live in the country. Nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile away.
                sigpic

Comment

My neighbor walked into the garage while I as wrenching on it tonight!
                  He can't wait for me to get it done.

But I'm on a heavily wooded acre lot...no one will see it in the backyard.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by merrell View Post
                    I cut them into all 4 sides of the pan I have my element in. I ontrol draft with damper in stack.

Question about that element? I looked it up on Bass Pro. Is it wired up to plug right in to something?

I'm going to go that route in the revision process. I'll build an aluminum box to drop in like your pan.
                    That version will be Smokin'jesus 2014!

Comment

Originally posted by redruff View Post
                      Question about that element? I looked it up on Bass Pro. Is it wired up to plug right in to something?

I'm going to go that route in the revision process. I'll build an aluminum box to drop in like your pan.
                      That version will be Smokin'jesus 2014!
                      Yep...Has a standard 110 volt plug. Maybe 6ft long..... Mine came from bass pro.
                      Don..

Comment

Ok what next....
                        I cut two 1 1/2 vent holes in the side...they come into the box right in front of the hot plate.

I put a damper in the exhaust pipe.

Couldn't stands its no mores..so I plugged it in!

1. With the whole door opening...these suckers REALLY drop the temp when you open the door.
                        2. I threw a plain ole cheap meat thermometer in it near the top.
                        If I left the door closed for about 20 minutes it pegged the thermometer over 190! So I think it is going to get hot enough!
                        3. Couldn't resist...throw a hunk of hickory on the hot plate....it smoked up good!

I don't think its ready for prime time yet...I have not got the Auberin controller on it yet. But I think I'm going to love this thing!

Now to the questions. There is a pressed board type material that doesn't look like sawdust, but its brown and kind of minerally....I REALLY don't want to take the insulation out...this was a gas/lp fridge, I gotta believe this stuff can with stand fairly high temps.

So how do I season this thing? Wash it all good and just run some smoke through it for X hours?

Comment

You stay after that build!...I like it!
                          Sunset Eagle Aviation
                          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Wow that thing is beautiful. Please tell me it did not work and was too costly to repair. The only thing nicer than stainless is porcelain.

That would make a great multi-fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
                              Wow that thing is beautiful. Please tell me it did not work and was too costly to repair. The only thing nicer than stainless is porcelain.

That would make a great multi-fuel.
                              Well...owner said it worked but it was propane. He just cut the lines and yanked it out. Would have been an easy fix to get running.
                              It was on Craig's list, he wanted $100 for it....I gave him $50.

I'm going to revise it and build a an aluminum box and put a brinkman element in it. The box will be easy to swap out if I ever want to do something else.

I just gotta figure out how to get the probs in and it should be good for its maiden voyage.

How do I season it? Or is it not necssary?

Comment

Working...
                              X