steamed hard cooked eggs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steamed hard cooked eggs

During some recent surfing around different foodie websites, I came across a post on the benefits of steaming eggs rather than boiling to achieve a hard-cooked state. I was skeptical to say the least, as I didn't think it would make much difference in how the heat was applied, but I'm happy to report I was wrong.....very, very wrong in that assumption.

I decided to test the theory since I was making a batch of potato salad anyway, so I got out my steamer and put about an inch or two of water in it, added 10 extra large eggs and fired it up.

Once the steam started, I timed it at 14 minutes, then transferred the eggs immediately to a large bowl of ice water for 10 minutes.;

After the ten minutes I picked up the first egg and gently cracked both ends, then rolled it across the counter to crack the rest. Imagine my surprise and delight when the shell literally fell off the egg! large pieces that came off as slick as anything....I didn't even have to use the running water trick. As you can see below...the eggs all came out absolutely to perfection, and I must say I am now a convert to the steam method for hard cooking eggs.

Last edited by Hoser; 04-22-2018, 04:21 AM.
    sigpic

Smoked-Meat certified Sausagehead

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1443745685

Hmmm sooo..I guess the whole fresh/old egg thing don't matter- or salt in the water, or Venus aligned with Mars...
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Good tip Hoser. Gotta try this. My boiling method sure results in a tough to peel egg.
      sigpic

Comment

Nor does hanging it to the right or left, just say'n
        sigpicYeah...that's right...I'm smokin'.

The GOOD ONE smoker grill
        Weber 22 1/2 Wannabe (aka WW)
        Weber 22 1/2 Silver One Touch
        Smokey Joe New model, Smokey Joe 1984 model
        fire pit in the yard
        10 & 12 Lodge DO,
        Maverick ET73, ET732.
        A-MAZE-N SMOKER 5x8, RED HOT Thermapen
        MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric smoker

Rick

Comment

I Sous Vide them, shells fall right off and never "overcooked". No dark circle in the whites either. Steaming sounds faster though.
          Mark
          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

It's all about the egg if you ask me :)

As a chef we use our oven with steam and some are easy some isn't

Same when I boil them at home some are easy some isn't.

Best way if you don't want them to break when you boil is to have the eggs in room temp a while before you boil. It also gives a better result.

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much //Ronald Reagan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing // Edmund Burke

Comment

This is a good bump! Forgot aboot this. Gotta try it!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I need to try this. On my quail sites several people swear by it. I'm also curious if soaking a chicken egg in vinegar would help. Supposedly if you soak a quail egg in 50/50 water and vinegar the shell dissolves and leaves just the membrane.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
                  Supposedly if you soak a quail egg in 50/50 water and vinegar the shell dissolves and leaves just the membrane.
                  Really? Wow! how cool is that?!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                    Really? Wow! how cool is that?!!
                    Supposedly it only takes about 4 hours to dissolve and they swear the vinegar doesn't permeate the membrane so it doesn't affect taste. It's on the to try list if I could ever be able to eat my eggs instead of selling them.
                    sigpic

Comment

I've been steaming mine for 13 1/2 minutes for about a year, then into the ice bath. Saw the method on America's Test Kitchen (or was it Cooks Country). Works great. Another pealing tip is put some water in a container with a lid, put in couple of eggs, put the lid on and shake it around. The eggs should be pealed when you open it back up. Just need an 1" or so of water in the bottom to work. Try it.....
                      Dave

I love coming home. My back porch smells just like a BBQ joint.....

Comment

Working...
                      X