Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...

Old 07-31-2009, 06:37 PM
Rub Mixer

Smokin Bill Is Just Starting Out
Default Popeye’s Cajun Sparkle Recipe

While looking for Popeye’s mashed potato and gravy recipes, I stumbled upon this one and tried it. This stuff is GOOD!! The only thing I've tried it on is fried chicken and sprinkled some on mashed potatoes to see what it would do but this is some tasty stuff and could be used for lots of things.

Popeye’s Cajun Sparkle Recipe

• 1 tablespoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
• 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
• 1/4 teaspoon paprika
• 1/4 teaspoon msg
• 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

1. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
2. Makes 2 tablespoons.

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 07-31-2009, 06:40 PM
Let's Rock Louie!

Slanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To All
Slanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To All

May try it! Al Copeland is rollin over in his grave if this get's out! Dude alway's came to Destin stylin & profilin. RIP Al!

Old 07-31-2009, 07:01 PM
Square and On the Level

supervman Knows How To Mop The Meat

Sounds like a nice mix.

Never eaten at Popeye's.

There's only one in Mpls and let's just say that a person of my physical description should never be in that neighborhood at night.

I'll try it.
Thanks
Vman
Old 07-31-2009, 07:16 PM
Let's Rock Louie!

Slanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To All
Slanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To All

Yeah Man.....I understand.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:44 PM
Pit Master

Cajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God

Eating Popeye's right now. Red Beans and Rice, Dirty Rice, man good stuff. They are everywhere down here....Think they outnumber McDonald's
Old 07-31-2009, 07:52 PM
Rub Mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by supervman View Post
Sounds like a nice mix.

Never eaten at Popeye's.

There's only one in Mpls and let's just say that a person of my physical description should never be in that neighborhood at night.

I'll try it.
Thanks
Vman
In an effort to remain politically correct, I wont say there's probably lots of them in neighborhoods you wouldn't want to go to at night. I go about dinner time so there's still lots of light.

They have pretty good chicken and offer a hot (so they call it) batter which has a bit of a bite but I wouldn't call hot. I don't think they beat KFC's extra crispy but their mashed potatoes and gravy are kick butt; I would cut my left arm off for the recipe.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:00 PM
Pit Master

Cajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCajunsmoke13 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God

Best service around also...Wait all day at KFC here, Popeye's is fast, in every neighborhood around here. Would love the recipe too.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:11 PM
Rub Mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunsmoke13 View Post
Best service around also...Wait all day at KFC here, Popeye's is fast, in every neighborhood around here. Would love the recipe too.
At my local KFC if you want a bucket of extra crispy you have to go inside for it so you can watch and make sure they put all extra crispy in the bucket. I swear they even out their inventory with drive thorough orders and if they're a little light on EC (which they usually are) they throw some regular in and you wont know till you get home. Pisses me off.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:30 PM
Pit Master

Right there with you. Thanks for that recipe. Going to give it a try
Old 07-31-2009, 10:05 PM
188 lbs. 232 lbs lost.

Gunslinger Is  A Name Known To AllGunslinger Is  A Name Known To AllGunslinger Is  A Name Known To All
Gunslinger Is  A Name Known To AllGunslinger Is  A Name Known To AllGunslinger Is  A Name Known To AllGunslinger Is  A Name Known To AllGunslinger Is  A Name Known To AllGunslinger Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Bill View Post
In an effort to remain politically correct, I wont say there's probably lots of them in neighborhoods you wouldn't want to go to at night. I go about dinner time so there's still lots of light.

They have pretty good chicken and offer a hot (so they call it) batter which has a bit of a bite but I wouldn't call hot. I don't think they beat KFC's extra crispy but their mashed potatoes and gravy are kick butt; I would cut my left arm off for the recipe.
Bill, would you be sending your arm to me, or are you going to cut it off and keep it?

Popeye's Cajun Gravy

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 chicken gizzard
2 tablespoons minced green bell pepper
1/4 cup ground beef
1/4 cup ground pork
2 cups water
1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons milk
2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
Dash dried parsley flakes
Heat vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Sauté chicken
gizzard in the oil for 4 to 5 minutes until cooked. Remove gizzard
from the pan and let cool. Finely mince the gizzard after it has cooled.

Combine ground beef and ground pork. Mix with your hands until well mixed.

Add bell pepper to the saucepan and sauté it for 1 minute. Add ground
beef and pork to the pan and cook brown. Mash meat into tiny pieces as
it browns.

Add water and beef broth to the saucepan, then immediately whisk in
cornstarch and flour.

Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer
gravy until thick - about 30 to 35 minutes.

Tom
Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head
Old 08-01-2009, 12:22 AM
Thin & Blue brother <3

Bbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To All
Bbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Sounds like a nice mix.

Never eaten at Popeye's.

I'll try it.
Thanks
Vman
It does sound great, and with the gravey too... I am gonna try it too!
I am going with Vman here, there is one part of L.A., this would be where Reginold Denny was pulled out of his truck and beaten within an inch of his life for being the wrong color during the Rodney King fiasco, this used to be the only route to the Great Western Forum, where The G man played with the Kings, drove that route hundreds of times to and from hockey games back in the day and you could find a popeyes on every corner... never brave enough to stop and try it though.. Stopping at a red light was scary enough...

PROUD MEMBER # 49
The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged PINK THERMAPEN

Old 08-01-2009, 05:45 AM
Rub Mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
Bill, would you be sending your arm to me, or are you going to cut it off and keep it?

Popeye's Cajun Gravy

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 chicken gizzard
2 tablespoons minced green bell pepper
1/4 cup ground beef
1/4 cup ground pork
2 cups water
1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons milk
2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
Dash dried parsley flakes
Heat vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Sauté chicken
gizzard in the oil for 4 to 5 minutes until cooked. Remove gizzard
from the pan and let cool. Finely mince the gizzard after it has cooled.

Combine ground beef and ground pork. Mix with your hands until well mixed.

Add bell pepper to the saucepan and sauté it for 1 minute. Add ground
beef and pork to the pan and cook brown. Mash meat into tiny pieces as
it browns.

Add water and beef broth to the saucepan, then immediately whisk in
cornstarch and flour.

Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer
gravy until thick - about 30 to 35 minutes.
Geezzzzz all that for gravy? It better be a good match.

I'll probably keep it, the arm that is.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:52 AM
smoke 'em if ya got 'em

blues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To Allblues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To All
blues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To Allblues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To Allblues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To Allblues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To Allblues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To Allblues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To Allblues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To Allblues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To Allblues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Sounds like a nice mix.

Never eaten at Popeye's.

I'll try it.
Thanks
Vman
lol. try rollin' up to the mpls greydog station in a dodge stealth around 9pm-
i made sure i was locked & loaded.

right now i'd kill for some popeyes red beans & rice. the copycat recipe just didn't get it.
22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
& rotisserator
12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
my music recordings-
http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Old 08-01-2009, 07:04 AM
Pit Master

cajun_1 Is Becoming A Smoke Gurucajun_1 Is Becoming A Smoke Gurucajun_1 Is Becoming A Smoke Gurucajun_1 Is Becoming A Smoke Gurucajun_1 Is Becoming A Smoke Gurucajun_1 Is Becoming A Smoke Gurucajun_1 Is Becoming A Smoke Gurucajun_1 Is Becoming A Smoke Gurucajun_1 Is Becoming A Smoke Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbqgoddess View Post
It does sound great, and with the gravey too... I am gonna try it too!
I am going with Vman here, there is one part of L.A., this would be where Reginold Denny was pulled out of his truck and beaten within an inch of his life for being the wrong color during the Rodney King fiasco, this used to be the only route to the Great Western Forum, where The G man played with the Kings, drove that route hundreds of times to and from hockey games back in the day and you could find a popeyes on every corner... never brave enough to stop and try it though.. Stopping at a red light was scary enough...
Hehehe ... Remember those days ... lived about a mile from where "ol Rodney" took his lickin' ... now I live where the keys stay in the ignition & the truck stays where I park it for days on end ... What a life ...

The gravy sounds great also ... gonna give it a try ...

FUGLY= UDS ( Living Up To It's Name )
Traeger BBQ-150
# 168

Last edited by cajun_1; 08-01-2009 at 07:07 AM.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:26 AM
188 lbs. 232 lbs lost.

Gunslinger Is  A Name Known To AllGunslinger Is  A Name Known To AllGunslinger Is  A Name Known To All
Gunslinger Is  A Name Known To AllGunslinger Is  A Name Known To AllGunslinger Is  A Name Known To AllGunslinger Is  A Name Known To AllGunslinger Is  A Name Known To AllGunslinger Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Bill View Post
Geezzzzz all that for gravy? It better be a good match.

I'll probably keep it, the arm that is.
It's not a copy, it's the real McCoy. And you're welcome.

Tom
Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head
Old 08-01-2009, 09:02 AM
Rub Mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
It's not a copy, it's the real McCoy. And you're welcome.
I apologize, I guess I did leave out the thank you. Thank you.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:56 PM
Meat Mopper

eman Is Just Starting Out
Default popeyes knuckle sucking chicken

Gravy recipee looks good , Now can someone give me the seasoning blend for their spicy chicken???
Charcol ECB
09 MES 40
Old 09-11-2009, 05:02 PM
Rub Mixer

I haven't tried any of them yet but:

Popeye Fried Chicken

"Chicken pieces are dipped in a flavorful dry spice mix, eggs and cereal crumbs, then browned in hot oil and finally baked to a golden crisp."

INGREDIENTS:
3 cups self-rising flour
1 cup cornstarch
3 tablespoons seasoning salt
2 tablespoons paprika
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 (.7 ounce) package dry Italian -style salad dressing mix
1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
1 packet dry spaghetti sauce mix
3 tablespoons white sugar
3 cups crushed cornflakes cereal
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup cold water
2 cups oil for frying
1 (4 pound) whole chicken, cut into pieces

DIRECTIONS:
1. In a shallow dish or bowl mix together the flour, cornstarch, seasoning salt, paprika, baking soda, dressing mix, soup mix, spaghetti sauce mix and sugar. Place cereal crumbs in another shallow dish or bowl, and mix together eggs and water in a third shallow dish or bowl.
2. Heat oil (1 inch deep) in a large skillet over medium high heat. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
3. Dip chicken pieces into dry coating mix, egg/water mixture, cereal crumbs, briefly into dry mix once more, then drop into hot oil skin side down. Brown for 3 to 4 minutes, then brown other side of each piece.
4. Place browned chicken pieces in a 9x13 inch baking dish, skin side up, and cover dish with aluminum foil leaving one side open for escaping steam.
5. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 to 45 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and tender and juices run clear. Remove cover and bake another 5 minutes to let coating become crisp; serve.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:03 PM
Rub Mixer

Popeye's Fried Chicken

3 c Self-rising flour
1 c Cornstarch
3 tb Seasoned salt
2 tb Paprika
1 ts Baking soda
1 pk Italian Salad Dressing Mix Powder
1 pk Onion Soup Mix -- (1 1/2 Ounces)
1 pk Spaghetti sauce mix -- (1/2 Ounce)
3 tb Sugar
3 c Corn flakes -- crushed
2 Eggs -- well beaten
4 lb Chicken -- cut up

Combine first 9 ingredients in large bowl. Put the cornflakes
into another bowl. Put eggs and water in a 3rd bowl. Put enough corn oil into a heavy roomy skillet to fill it 1" deep. Get it HOT!
Grease a 9x12x2 baking pan. Set it aside. Preheat oven to 350~. Dip chicken pieces 1 piece at a time as follows: 1-Into dry coating mix. 2-Into egg and water mix. 3-Into corn flakes. 4-Briskly but briefly back into dry mix. 5-Drop into hot oil, skin-side-down and brown 3 to 4minutes on medium high. Turn and brown other side of each piece. Don't crowd pieces during frying. Place in prepared pan in single layer, skin-side-up. Seal in foil, on 3 sides only, leaving 1 side loose for steam to escape. Bake at 350~ for 35-40 minutes removing foil then to test tenderness of chicken. Allow to bake uncovered 5 minutes longer to crisp the coating. Serves 4. Leftovers refrigerate well up to 4 days. Do not freeze these leftovers. Leftover coating mix (1st 9 ingredients) can be stored at room temp in covered container up to 2 months.

The original recipe contains only 5 things.. one is water.. one is egg and the rest is secret.

The spicy recipe contains special Cajun spices all combined in a bag or jar, that you can buy here in Louisiana Cajun country everyday to substitute one of the original ingredients.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Sauces & Rubs