Pickled eggs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickled eggs

I wasn't sure where to put this because it's really more of a snack than a side, but Rich can move it wherever he wants I guess.

Ron inspired me the other day with his post about German pickled eggs, and I thought I would turn out a batch of my own. I didn't used the recipe he posted, as I thought the "pucker factor" would be higher than I like with all that vinegar and no water. Anyway...here is the recipe I came up with.

Here's what we need to get started

3 dozen eggs
    2 cups white vinegar
    2 cups red wine vinegar
    juice from 1 jar of pickled beets
    2 Tbsp pickling spices
    1 onion, sliced
    5 bay leaves
    6 cloves of garlic, sliced
    1 cup sugar
    4 cups water

Now...I know I have been raving on and on about this, but you folks really have to try it...do not boil your eggs...steam them!
    I cooked three dozen eggs in my pasta cooker for 14 minutes after the steam was visible. This method is unbelievable...when they were done I peeled the three dozen eggs to perfection in under 10 minutes. Shells just about fell off them.

As soon as they were done, I removed them to a large bowl full of ice water for 10 minutes.

While the eggs cooled down for 10 minutes, I sliced my onion and garlic, and brought the remaining ingredients to a simmer and cooked long enough to melt the sugar and steep the spices a bit.

Then Layered the eggs into a large jar with alternating layers on onion, and a few pieces of sliced garlic.

Here's what they look like all done and ready for the fridge:

It was tough waiting, but here in one opened up after three days...very tasty! Just the right amount of pucker and a touch of sweet. They are very good after only three days, so I can only hope they will improve as the weeks go by.

Last edited by Hoser; 04-22-2018, 04:30 AM.
    sigpic

Smoked-Meat certified Sausagehead

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1443745685

Oooohhh... nice job Hoser!! They look great!! I love pickled eggs, butt no one can be around me for a day or two afterwards... just sayin'...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Nice Job Hoser!!!

I love Pickled Eggs, but I usually cheat & just use leftover Pickled Red Beet Juice. Probably has less kick & more sweet.

Yours look Great !!

Bear
      Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
      Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Dave Dave Dave! They look great to me - I think you came up with something pretty good there!

I'm going to be trying to Schwarzmeerdeutsche recipe that I posted sometime this week, but your observation about the lack of water has me thinking - I might see if I can get in touch with the author of the recipe just to make sure there isn't an equal amount of water to balance the vinegar. It is possible that she accidentally forgot to include it when she posted her recipe. When I find out from her about how her ancestors made it (with or without water added), I'll try it her family's way and see what comes out of it.

Points for trying this treat, and also for improvisation! I love the effect of the beet juice, which is something done quite a bit in various parts of Europe.
        Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
        Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

Nice job Hoser! Those look great and I love the color that you got on them!
          Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
          Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
          A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
          A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
          Frogmats
          Maverick ET 732
          Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

Hope you got some of those odor eliminating shorts with the activated charcoal sewed in to the backside.....
            Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

They look great Hoser. We just use straight pickled beets to make ours, beets, juice, a little vinegar, and whole cloves. A couple of eggs, and a few beets make a great snack.
              Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
              My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
              @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

I'll give that recipe a go! I am banned from more than three!
                Sunset Eagle Aviation
                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Thank you for the post Hoser, those look great! Think I'll make some for deer camp this year.
                  jeanie

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/

Comment

Here we are after one week in the pickle. White portion of the egg is all pink now, and it's just barely starting to get into the yolk.
                    No change in the "pucker factor" ...so far I'm liking this recipe.
                    Last edited by Hoser; 04-22-2018, 04:30 AM.
                    sigpic

Smoked-Meat certified Sausagehead

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1443745685

Comment

Originally posted by Hoser View Post
                      Here we are after one week in the pickle. White portion of the egg is all pink now, and it's just barely starting to get into the yolk.
                      No change in the "pucker factor" ...so far I'm liking this recipe.
                      My Gawd, that looks like me ex-wife... Butt seriousLee, they look great... nice penetration!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Tasty! Thanks for sharing the recipe!
                        Dirtsailor A.K.A. Case

GOSM, (4) Mini-WSM, Mini-ZA, UDS, 1967 Casa Q, StoveTec Rocket Stove, 12" & 18" AMNTS, (2) Mav ET732,
                        iGrill Therm

Comment

Hoser those look great. One thing I do with mine that you might want to try is I give the eggs a small plunge cut with a paring knife just down into the yolk. It lets the brine penetrate the yolk and pickle from both the outside and the inside. The yolk also absorbs the brine a lot more than the white does and they taste fantastic.

Originally posted by TasunkaWitko View Post
                          I might see if I can get in touch with the author of the recipe just to make sure there isn't an equal amount of water to balance the vinegar. It is possible that she accidentally forgot to include it when she posted her recipe.
                          My brine recipe calls for 2 1/2 cups vinegar and a 1/2 cup water per dozen eggs. I like plenty of pucker in mine so I try to keep the water to a minimum. You will definitely want SOME water in the brine or you'll end up with a bunch of little rubber balls. The water helps keep the texture of the egg more like an egg.
                          Bored Guy Blog

Comment

Re:

Ahhh yes, them pickled eggs and pickled (marinated) mushrooms are old time Appalachian favorites. You can't hardly go around any road side honky-tonk here without finding 5 gallon jars of pickled eggs, sausages, I've even seen pickled spam, bologna, and cucumbers & onions with dill during the summer.

Every Man Cave that has a fridge should have a jar of pickled eggs and some cold beers.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc1URQgQWNo

Comment

Nice experiment Hoser
                              I'll be trying this recipe. I love the Beet juice!
                              JT

Comment

Working...
                              X