Smoked-Meat Forums

Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Helpful Information

Helpful Information Info, Tips & Tricks On Smoking Meats.

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Active Threads
0 Mad Hunky Home Run
Last Post: SMOKE FREAK
Posted On: 01-20-2018
Replies: 4
Views: 64
0 Buckburgers & Buck-a-Roni
Last Post: Bearcarver
Replies: 4
Views: 67
0 eye of round must be the newest hot cut
Last Post: Bearcarver
Replies: 3
Views: 96
0 More briskets
Last Post: crusty ol salt
Replies: 15
Views: 201
0 Rudy's with a twist
Last Post: SMOKE FREAK
Replies: 18
Views: 280
More...
Mini Stats
Members 7,528 Entries 1
Members Entries
Threads 43,197 Reviews 1
Threads Reviews
Posts 648,676 Polls 37
Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...

Old 03-23-2015, 10:23 AM
Pit Master

sweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To All
sweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To All

I've been using these cubes for a couple years now and always under the coals. I really like the ease of use and how fast they get the coals going. And if I'm heating up a Dutch oven or cast iron skillet, I can set it over the fire as soon as I light the cubes...no need to wait. But if I'm grilling or smoking I do make sure the cubes are completely burned before adding food to the grill. I do not smell them but the old man says they do give off an odor that he doesn't like. Also, make sure you keep them in their package until ready to use. I was going to give a few away one time to a friend and put about 3 in a Ziploc bag. Never gave them to my friend but a few weeks later I did try to use them and they would not light. It was like they had dried out and were more like Styrofoam.

We also use them to start our fires in the fire pit! Much safer than throwing gas on it. Not more fun but SAFER!

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Chargriller Duo w/ SFB
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
Weber Smokey Joe
Brinkman Electric Smoker
Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
Pink Thermapen
Purple Thermapen

Last edited by sweet_magnolia; 03-23-2015 at 10:53 AM.

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 03-23-2015, 10:46 AM
miss ya gary....

chefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To All
chefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To All

i love these lil' buggers.........anything to make life a little easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE ICEMAN View Post
Anyone ever use fatwood to start things up? My brother gave me some & I find it works pretty well to start up the briquettes with no discernible bad taste.
ice, i've heard of it but have not used it before.....source?

it's all good my friend..........
Old 03-23-2015, 11:48 AM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post
C4 would work great too---Burns nice & blue!!----Gotta be careful though!!
Another reason I am somewhat familiar with the stuff. It's the base of RDX :{)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_magnolia View Post

We also use them to start our fires in the fire pit! Much safer than throwing gas on it. Not more fun but SAFER!
I love you for soo many reasons

Yes..they are somewhat "volatile" wrap unused cubes in alum foil tight.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:17 PM
Pit Master

Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All
Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richtee View Post
Another reason I am somewhat familiar with the stuff. It's the base of RDX :{)

I figured they might be related in some way.

We used C4 all the time to heat C-Rations!!

Awesome Stuff!!

Bear
Old 03-23-2015, 06:21 PM
Fire Starter

Big Andy Is Just Starting Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishawn View Post
Do you store your charcoal inside? I grilled some filets on a relatives Weber last summer. Took aboot 2x the amount of time to start in a chimney with newspaper. The briquettes were stored outside for aboot 3 months,under cover, unopened, and apparently absorbed some of the moisture. The family said WHERE'S THE BEEF?
Yes, kept in the house the whole time. It was a 20lb. twin pack from Sam's. I think it was just a bad batch.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:48 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Andy View Post
. I think it was just a bad batch.
I've yet to find a really good one
Old 03-23-2015, 08:38 PM
Cookin with fire

SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All
SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Anyone ever use fatwood to start things up? My brother gave me some & I find it works pretty well to start up the briquettes with no discernible bad taste.
Im not positive but I think fatwood is strips of pine, rich in the resins and pitch that make pine burn so hot and fast...Sure its burned away and has no effect on the cook...I have thought of using it but...The cost plus the shipping...You know...

Craig
Old 03-23-2015, 08:59 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
Im not positive but I think fatwood is strips of pine, rich in the resins and pitch that make pine burn so hot and fast.
I thought it was what Oprah and Rosie grow for their entertainment?
Old 03-23-2015, 09:25 PM
Miracle Whip Free Zone...

THE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To All
THE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To All
Talking

Quote:
I thought it was what Oprah and Rosie grow for their entertainment?
Stick to your day job, Rich.

HORIZON 16" Classic Offset
SToK Tower Grill
Weber 18.5"
Weber Smokey Joe

Not to mention the occasional campfire

NRA Patron Life Member

"We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards. Strong beer is the milk of the old."
-Martin Luther-

Old 03-23-2015, 10:02 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Quote:
Stick to your day job, Rich.
yer all in trouble. I don't really have one.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:02 AM
Meat Mopper

Wahoo95 Is Becoming A Smoke GuruWahoo95 Is Becoming A Smoke GuruWahoo95 Is Becoming A Smoke GuruWahoo95 Is Becoming A Smoke GuruWahoo95 Is Becoming A Smoke GuruWahoo95 Is Becoming A Smoke GuruWahoo95 Is Becoming A Smoke GuruWahoo95 Is Becoming A Smoke GuruWahoo95 Is Becoming A Smoke Guru

I've used the Weber cubes in the past but recently began using Tumbleweeds instead

I place one underneath my chimney or my Vortex and it take no time to have the coals ready
Old 03-25-2015, 11:22 AM
Pit Master

Quote:
I love you for soo many reasons
Awww!

I have never seen fatwood or tumbleweeds in stores around here. I have often thought of making my own starter cubes out of the egg cartons or toilet paper tubes and dryer lint but why do all that work when I can spend less than 4 bucks on the Weber cubes.

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Chargriller Duo w/ SFB
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
Weber Smokey Joe
Brinkman Electric Smoker
Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
Pink Thermapen
Purple Thermapen
Old 03-25-2015, 05:39 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_magnolia View Post
I have often thought of making my own starter cubes out of the egg cartons or toilet paper tubes and dryer lint
You don't wanna do that anyway. I have been down wind of those dryer lint things... and what's that lint comprised of? Right... bad idea there.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:44 PM
Pit Master

Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All
Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
You don't wanna do that anyway. I have been down wind of those dryer lint things... and what's that lint comprised of? Right... bad idea there.

You're thinking about Belly Button Lint !!!

Bear
Old 03-25-2015, 05:49 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post
You're thinking about Belly Button Lint !!!
I'd likely feel better about that lint than what comes off of modern materials. If it were not for petroleum and chemists, we'd be pretty nekkid right now.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:18 PM
Pit Master

zombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To All
zombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahoo95 View Post
I've used the Weber cubes in the past but recently began using Tumbleweeds instead

I place one underneath my chimney or my Vortex and it take no time to have the coals ready

In my quest to find some weber starter cubes today I stumbled onto the tumbleweed starter at lowes today and picked up a box. Glad to hear they work.
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Genesis Silver
Smokin Tex
MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5
Maverick ET 732
Brown and lime green ThermaPens
2 orange ThermoPops
A-Maze-N Tube 18"
A-Maze-N Smoker 5"x8"
Vortex
Old 03-25-2015, 06:32 PM
<Worlds Strongest Button

Mikey Is  A Name Known To AllMikey Is  A Name Known To All
Mikey Is  A Name Known To AllMikey Is  A Name Known To AllMikey Is  A Name Known To AllMikey Is  A Name Known To AllMikey Is  A Name Known To All

Why mess with those cubes at 4 bucks a package when you can light hundreds of lump or briq fires with one of these for a whole lot less money in the long run? Only takes 10 seconds, go prep your meat and wah lah your fire is ready. Works great on the Amazn smoker as well

Propane torch.jpg

New Braunfels Bandera
New Braunfels Hondo
4-22 1/2" Weber Kettles
1-26" Weber Kettle
24"X72" Reverse Flow- Made in the U.S.A. by Me
Navy Corpsman-USMC '69-'73 Semper Fi
https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/
Old 03-25-2015, 06:44 PM
Pit Master

zombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To All
zombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
Why mess with those cubes at 4 bucks a package when you can light hundreds of lump or briq fires with one of these for a whole lot less money in the long run? Only takes 10 seconds, go prep your meat and wah lah your fire is ready. Works great on the Amazn smoker as well

Attachment 23746
Can you get the vortex a going with the torch?
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Genesis Silver
Smokin Tex
MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5
Maverick ET 732
Brown and lime green ThermaPens
2 orange ThermoPops
A-Maze-N Tube 18"
A-Maze-N Smoker 5"x8"
Vortex
Old 03-25-2015, 06:48 PM
<Worlds Strongest Button

Mikey Is  A Name Known To AllMikey Is  A Name Known To All
Mikey Is  A Name Known To AllMikey Is  A Name Known To AllMikey Is  A Name Known To AllMikey Is  A Name Known To AllMikey Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombini View Post
Can you get the vortex a going with the torch?
Sure can and you don't even need to use a chimney. Just dump the coals in the Vortex, touch the coals in a couple of spots, go prep your meat and then the fire is ready

New Braunfels Bandera
New Braunfels Hondo
4-22 1/2" Weber Kettles
1-26" Weber Kettle
24"X72" Reverse Flow- Made in the U.S.A. by Me
Navy Corpsman-USMC '69-'73 Semper Fi
https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Helpful Information