Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...
Old 08-27-2009, 05:34 PM
Fire Starter

Green Horn Knows How To Maintain A Pit
Default Rump Roast help

Hello all,
As the name suggest I'm new to smoking. So far I've cooked one chuck roast. I thought it turned out pretty well. Even my wife who told me she didn't really like smoked food enjoyed. She liked it enough she bought me a rump roast and wants me to smoke it. I'm in need of your wisdom. What should I use as a rup, how long should I cook it, how long to let it sit afterwards? The roast is 2.5lbs and the smoker I'm using is an entry level Brinkman. Thanks in advance for any guidence you can give me!

Last edited by Green Horn; 08-27-2009 at 05:43 PM.

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 08-27-2009, 05:57 PM
Smokin meat Wu-Tang Style

wutang Is  A Name Known To All
wutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To All

We need a little more info. What texture of final product are you going for? Sliced beef or Pulled/shredded beef? The rump roasts I have done have had enough fat to take to a pulled beef. This means that you will smoke it until it has reached an internal temp of around 200 degrees. The time this takes will vary based on temps. But 60-90 minutes per pound is a fair guidline. I would also wrap it in foil with some liquid once it got above 160-165 degrees internal. The rub is up to you, you could keep it simple with salt, black pepper and some garlic. Or you could get as fancy as you want. And I would let it rest for at least 30-60 minutes before pulling.
KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan
Old 08-27-2009, 05:59 PM
Smokin meat Wu-Tang Style

wutang Is  A Name Known To All
wutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To All

By the way, welcome to the site!
KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan
Old 08-27-2009, 06:00 PM
Pepper Head

Abelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To All
Abelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To All

I've never done a rump roast but it will go a lot faster than the chuck. Temps at 225-250 like a chuck but it says 30 minutes per lb and the internal of 145 is considered well done. 135 is where I would stop but that's all personal preference as you know.

I would use whatever rub you used on the chuck and that way, you'll be able to compares apples to apples so to speak. It's hard to beat a chuck or a brisket though.

Good luck!

P.S There you have it, Wutang knows his stuff and has experience so stick with that. The temps I gave assumed you were slicing. Even at this age, I still can't always remember that rule about assuming LOL.
Masterbuilt 7 in 1

Last edited by Abelman; 08-27-2009 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:07 PM
Smokin-N-Tokin

roadrunr Knows How To Mop The Meat

First welcome to the site.

I've never done a rump roast, but I have smoked rib roasts. I agree you should pull it around 135 - 140 tops, unless yer doin shredded beef, then go to 195-205. Heres a couple posts I found that may help ya out also.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2526
http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2432

2 Weber Kettles
Weber Smokey Joe
Chargriller Smoking Pro Offset
Brinkman ECB
Charbroil 940X
Project UDS
Brinkman Turkey Fryer
Old 08-27-2009, 06:12 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Welcome to Smoked-Meat Green! Wutang gave ya good info... sliced or pulled. I'm gonna give a little seasoning advice.

You are gonna want to use a rub for the meat- a decent simple rub
2 teaspoons (tsp) paprika
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp cracked black pepper
2 tsp Kosher salt

If using garlic SALT and onion SALT- drop 1 tsp Kosher from recipe

You could add a teaspoon of: rosemary, thyme, cumin- whatever flavors you enjoy if you know about them.

I am a fan of coating the meat in regular old mustard rubbed on, then shaking rub to completely cover meat. No, you won't really taste mustard, but it helps hold the rub, and contributes to "bark", that wonderful dark brown tasty stuff on the outside of the hunk.

You could also mop the meat during smoking- I use a simple 1/3 cup each water, bourbon and cider vinegar with a bit of pepper, brown sugar and kosher salt. Wait to mop until rub has set, or dried a bit..on the meat- so ya don't wash it off.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Richtee; 08-27-2009 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:37 PM
Fire Starter

thank you all for your replys. I'm going to slice the beef. With slicing do you let it rest for less time? I'm thinking I should pull it when it hits about 135 - 140 for more of a medium cook. Richtee I like your ideas about the rubs and mop. Do you make your own mustard rub? If so can I get the directions for that? I like the idea of trying different rubs and different techniques.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:45 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

The mustard is rubbed on as a base for the dry rub. You COULD additionally add dry mustard powder to the dry rub tho... personally, I'd add a tsp of rosemary and cumin to the rub I mentioned earlier, but some folk do not care for those flavors.

And for slicing a 15 or so min rest would be good.

Did you mean a mustard based BBQ sauce? Here's a recipe I have for that.

Cup Yellow Mustard
Cup Red Wine Vinegar
Cup White Sugar
3 Tbsp. Dark Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp. Butter
2 Tsp. Salt
Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce (Lea & Perrins)
Tsp. Soy Sauce
Tsp. Tabasco Sauce
1 Tsp. Course Ground Black Pepper
1 Tsp. White Pepper

In a medium saucepan, combine ingredients, stirring to blend. Bring to boil, then lower to simmer for at least 30 minutes. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before serving.

TIP: I use a handheld upright blender at the simmer point to really give it a good blend and aerate the sauce. It makes for a much “smoother” finished product!
Old 08-27-2009, 06:56 PM
Fire Starter

Sorry I'm a little slow on the uptake. When you said old mustard rub you ment mustard like for a hotdog.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:56 PM
Shoot it, Cook it, Eat it

RowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To All
RowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To AllRowdyRay Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Horn View Post
thank you all for your replys. I'm going to slice the beef. With slicing do you let it rest for less time? I'm thinking I should pull it when it hits about 135 - 140 for more of a medium cook. Richtee I like your ideas about the rubs and mop. Do you make your own mustard rub? If so can I get the directions for that? I like the idea of trying different rubs and different techniques.
Rich is referring to good old mustard. French's or whatever brand is readily available. Just rub that on the meat and the rub will stick to it better.

Rich's rub suggestion works well, as does Montreal steak seasoning or Tone's garlic and rosemary seasoning. It's really up to you. If you like peppery, I'd use Rich's recipe and zing it up how you like. I've done it all 3 ways and turns out great.
S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
New Braunfels Bandera
UniFlame Gas Grill
Lil Chief
Old 08-27-2009, 07:10 PM
Mistfit ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ

Texas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To All
Texas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To All

The boys have you covered GH.. It is common to slather mustard on meats so there rubs stick and create a good bark. Not everyone does it, I will on certain occasions. but for the most part I do not.

BTW... Welcome to the site.. Feel free to ask any other questions..

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Old 08-27-2009, 07:43 PM
Fire Starter

RowdyRay I agree with you on the Montreal seasoning. We also use the ones they make for hamburger, chicken .
Old 08-27-2009, 09:06 PM
Cookin with fire

SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All
SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All

For beef I would replace the good ol mustard with a good rub down of worchestershire. Then shake on your rub. And I would go no farther than 140-145 for slicing. AND always slice cross the grain for the most tender eats.

Welcome and good luck...and let us know how it turns out for ya.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:55 PM
BOOMER SOONER !!!!!!

doctor phreak Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddoctor phreak Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddoctor phreak Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddoctor phreak Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddoctor phreak Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddoctor phreak Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddoctor phreak Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddoctor phreak Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddoctor phreak Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddoctor phreak Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddoctor phreak Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddoctor phreak Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddoctor phreak Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddoctor phreak Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God

well i little late to help you out ..the guys here pretty much said what i would say....so i will just tell ya.... to the forum great place to be at and learn a trick or two and always take pics ( we can be brutal about that especially bubba lol )
Weber 22.5 Performer
GOSM 3405gw
Boomer Sooner Drum
Maverick ET-732
Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

BIG Mac

Old 08-28-2009, 12:04 AM
Fire Starter

I will take pictures and post them when I cook on Saturday. Doc I plan on hanging around this site a lot. That is one good thing about being out of work. I will have plenty of time to read up and try some things out. I hope to find some good sales!
Old 08-28-2009, 07:30 AM
Keepin' on Smokin'

Bassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To All
Bassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To All

You've got all the information you need for your smoke, so I'll just say to the forums. Glad to have you here and we're looking forward to seeing some pictures of your cooking projects.

Smoke Vault 24
Old 08-28-2009, 03:22 PM
Thin & Blue brother <3

Bbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To All
Bbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To All

Green Horn from down south in Smoky So Cal!
You have all the info you need, I bet your rump will be perfect. I too would use the worchy sauce in stead of the mustard. I would make a little paste with the worchy sauce a bit of the rub and maybe a little toma paste, then brush that on the roast, then dust the rub over that. Pull it at 135, let it rest to redistribute the yummy juices..... for my taste, the difference between 135 and 140 internal, becomes to over done for me... but thats just me!

Again welcome, I look forward to your drool-vue!

PROUD MEMBER # 49
The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged PINK THERMAPEN

Old 08-28-2009, 03:25 PM
Chipotle Dude- In Memoriam

richoso1 Is Better Then Most In His Neighborhood At Grilling & Smokingrichoso1 Is Better Then Most In His Neighborhood At Grilling & Smoking

Welcome my new friend. You'll find plenty of good help from great folks here where the smoke is thin and blue. Smoke and seeds forever.
Pepperhead Award posthumously-

Miss you Rich- How's the ABT's up there?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Beef