Sharpening gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharpening gear

So I was about to pull the trigger on a lansky sharpening system when I spotted this kit and just bought it instead: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...f_rd_i=desktop

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-U...angle+4+Stones

Not only half the price of the cheapest lansky kit, but with much higher grit stones and more of them to boot.
    Reading the reviews - looks like it's as good as the lansky.

If it'll get the kai shun back to the lethal edge it had when i got it - or anywhere near close - I'll be a happy bunny :-)
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

That looks like the Edge-Pro here in the states.

http://www.edgeproinc.com/

Way back I bought a WorkSharp Ken Onion Edition sharpener, it does a real good job. Since then they have come out with a blade grinding attachment which has taken sharp for me to new levels. Now I have started dealing with Japanese knives and razor sharpness, while the WorkSharp does well, I sharpened one of my knives on a friend's EdgePro Apex with Shapton glass stones. OMG! Scary sharp! Needless to say I need one, it's actually arriving Fed-Ex today.

If that model works as well as the EdgePro I think you'll be very happy. One thing my friend turned me on to, there are a ton of stones available for the tool and the sharpening is better with better stones. I guess that makes perfect sense. Let us know how it works.

Comment

I have always wanted a wicked edge sharpener, but I don't want to plunk down 5 bills for a set of whet stones...I mean seriously. I am pretty good with an oil stone set since I spent a some time cutting meat at IBP before college. My knives have a good edge and I keep them up, but I do like the simplicity of these and for 35 bucks I would be silly not to buy one. Great tip Alex...

On Edit: $28.00 on Ebay. LINK

Here are a couple videos of these things...I couldn't listen to them as Mrs. Engineer was full on into a TV show and I had to watch them with the sound off, but they look interesting.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ifBwBoHIG9E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/G9J8JcRQajw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8q4zW2wzrxQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
      Last edited by BBQ Engineer; 02-11-2016, 09:21 PM.
      BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
      Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
      I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

A knock off of the original EdgePro. The EP was my first good sharper. A giant leap from pull through sharpeners. I go free hand with stones these days. Sharp took a turn for the better when I got the EP.

Comment

Please, please wear Kevlar gloves when using that gadget. I was cringing watching that video...I know somone who cut themselves pretty bad using a sharpener similar to that.
          Looks like a good deal though. Similar systems cost more years back.
          z
          Last edited by zombini; 02-12-2016, 07:38 AM. Reason: adding words
          sigpic
          GMG Daniel Boone
          UDS
          Weber 22.5" Kettle (blk)
          Vision Kamado grill
          Weber Genesis Silver
          Smokin Tex
          MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5
          Maverick ET 732
          Brown and lime green ThermaPens
          2 orange ThermoPops
          A-Maze-N Tube 18"
          A-Maze-N Smoker 5"x8"
          Vortex

Comment

Looks good to me. I have 2 Lansky's that I have had for many years and they will do the trick. However, this one looks even more versatile.
            A few of my favorite things:
            Good Whiskey
            Good Food
            Bad Girls
            sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
            Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

yep it's an exact copy of the apex model edge pro: http://www.edgeproinc.com/Apex-Model...System-p4.html

Even down to the carry bag. Came this morning - looks well impressive. heavy duty kit, no skimping on the steel rods either.

So I got four stones: 180, 400, 800 and 1500. As the first three are all the same colour and the surface writing won't last long - first job carved the numbers on the plastic on the back of the stones.
              Wiping cloth, marker pen (not included in the original kit) a really good manual - clearly copied from the apex one. It's actually written in english by someone who knows what they are talking about :-)

I was expecting the usual chinese to english translation.

Had a very quick play on my lap with the 800 stone on my little mantiss buzzard. 1 inch long curved blade and a tricky thing to sharpen.
              Seemed to work :-)

I'll have a real play tomorrow evening.
              But I'd have to say that so far I'm well impressed. Definitely quality build and no obvious corners cut. Love the bag - wasn't expecting that. It'll go to the bushmoot with me in august.

But if you don't have a decent sharpening kit - buy this, stupid money for a quality item :-)

Now I just need a couple of diamond stones to fit it, so i can sharpen my ceramic knife. Came so blunt it wouldn't even cut a bread roll.

After several hours with a diamond stone, it'll now cut meat as well as bread and hard vegetables - but would be nice to see just how sharp it'll go :-)

Hell looking on amazon the stones should have cost the same as the whole kit.

Pics:

Easy to carry

What's in the bag:

Set up with the 800 grit stone
              Attached Files
              Last edited by curious aardvark; 02-12-2016, 01:31 PM.
              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
                I have always wanted a wicked edge sharpener, but I don't want to plunk down 5 bills for a set of whet stones...I mean seriously.
                I have one of the first gen wicked edges. It's nice, does a good job. But I find that it's so bulky and heavy with the granite mounting plate that I don't drag it out as often as I should. i wanted to get the paperstone mount which is lighter, but they were out when I ordered and "upgraded" mine to granite for free. And you're right, the stones are more expensive than they should be for what they are which is why I still just have the 4 stones from the basic set. It really does do a great job though, and the newer versions are even better from what i've heard.
                Mike
                Life In Pit Row

Comment

well you might as well get one of these - definitely not too bulky, and for the money: why not :-)
                  Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Here's mine... love this thing. Three diamond surfaces, and no moving parts...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by zombini View Post
                      Please, please wear Kevlar gloves when using that gadget. I was cringing watching that video...I know somone who cut themselves pretty bad using a sharpener similar to that.
                      Looks like a good deal though. Similar systems cost more years back.
                      z
                      I've got cut proof gloves for whe using the knives - but why would I need them for the sharpener ?
                      I'm holding the handle of the knife, the handle of the shaft is a long way from the knife edge and I'm not applying any pressure (says so in the manual, very gentle pressure and slow movements works best).

I'll watch the videos :-)

My kit is closest to the one in the third video.
                      Differences: My manual is all in english and my stone mount is spring loaded so no buggering around with twiddling knobs (hur hur) and a much quicker stone changeover.
                      I hadn't realised the little side thing was supposed to swivel up and down though I tightened it right up

And apparently the patent on the edge pro is out of date. so it's not even an illegal copy

Can't find a diamond stone. But I can should be able to design and print a holder for a cheap diamond stone that'll fit the system.
                      Last edited by curious aardvark; 02-12-2016, 01:53 PM.
                      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Just a little precaution for the times when maybe your high level of awareness is not there. Be safe.
                        sigpic
                        GMG Daniel Boone
                        UDS
                        Weber 22.5" Kettle (blk)
                        Vision Kamado grill
                        Weber Genesis Silver
                        Smokin Tex
                        MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5
                        Maverick ET 732
                        Brown and lime green ThermaPens
                        2 orange ThermoPops
                        A-Maze-N Tube 18"
                        A-Maze-N Smoker 5"x8"
                        Vortex

Comment

lol - okay
                          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

I ordered a series 2 sharpener using a buy it now option on Ebay. To my door for $30 bux, and it has already been shipped. I anticipate it will work well. There is nothing that is special about the design of these, only that they keep a consistent angle to the blade. I'll report back on the ease of use and the quality of the build.
                            BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                            Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                            I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Chefknivestogo has a lot of non EP stones to fit the EdgePro. Nice high end stones cut to fit

Comment

Working...
                              X