Salmon Throwdown - Mad Hunky - vs - BC Salmon Rub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salmon Throwdown - Mad Hunky - vs - BC Salmon Rub

Haven't done a good head to head taste test in a while, but I was smoking salmon this weekend, and thought I'd give this a try.

So in this corner, we have the Mad Hunky salmon brine and cure.

In the opposite corner is the British Columbia Salmon Rub.

On the Mad Hunky, I mixed this per directions...3 TBS of this to 2 TBS of tender quick. It was pretty salty (Tender Quick does that IMHO), so I added 6 more TBS of Mad Hunky to tame the salt...I know, I deviated from the directions...I'm such a rebel.

The BC salmon rub is just a rub and not a brine / cure, so I wanted to even these out a bit. I applied the product to the salmon fillets.

Mad Hunky

BC Salmon Rub

I let them sit overnight and this is what they looked like.

Smoked them to 150° with some cherry smoke.

Served half of each fillet to me and Mrs. Engineer with some Red Lobster Cheddar Biscuits and some steamed broccoli.

The results.

Mrs. Engineer did not know which was which, I only told her that we were doing a head to head taste test of the two different samples. Mrs. Engineer liked the color of the BC Salmon Rub better. Taste test, she thought the MH was too salty (I didn't). Both were delicious...but taste wise, the Mad Hunky was much more flavorful, and we unanimously agreed that it was simply better. I believe I can control the salt by not adding the tender quick and simply using this as a rub. It made for a much tastier end result...it was delicious. We both love smoked salmon and this was really really good. Once again Rich has a winner with the salmon gig.
    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Great post Dana! I also love smoked salmon, butt me household does not... therefore, I don't eat it very often. That looks like a really super supper! Have some super supper salmon

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Thanks for the comparison. The stuff on it’s own contains 3% salt. So you might add another teaspoon to the 3 for about 10%...still a very low number.

Also I think the cure adds to the flavor... so perhaps use .25 teaspoon of Pink/Cure 1 with that salt for that amount of salmon.

Using it straight up..it has no cure...

Interesting comparison. From the looks of that other stuff... your “much more flavorful” comment could be construed as “We actually tasted the fish”
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Thanks for the showdown! I've been meaning to do a similar one with the MH and my own way of doing salmon and seeing which is preferred, but haven't had time yet. Soon though... soon.
        Mike
        Life In Pit Row

Comment

Oh... I should mention those of you cold/cool smoking..MUST use the TQ/cure.

Dana..with your “hot smoke” you had no issues.

PSA..YMMV..FYI...Toadjaso
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Hey Rich,

I agree that the cure does enhance the flavor so I intend to use some with your product, but reduce the salt as you indicated. If I were to cold smoke, I'd follow the instructions as written (that's why I took artistic liberty to deviate this go round). I do, however "hot" smoke it so I understand that it isn't required. When I say it was more flavorful, your product has a more well rounded profile to it and made a better and more savory result...it really did enhance the flavor of the salmon. I chose to put this against the BC salmon rub as it is very well reviewed and quite popular too. Their slogan is "It tastes as good as it looks...Will convert any non fish lovers". It looks good in the container and tastes excellent out of palm...and I must say it does produce a tasty fillet. But, Mrs. Engineer and I both luxuriated over the different samples talking about what we thought. Yours was the hands down winner. It will be my go to salmon rub. I let Mrs. Engineer know that since I didn't do a cold smoke we could control the salt to her taste she was really enthusiastic about it.
            BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
            Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
            I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
              Yours was the hands down winner. It will be my go to salmon rub. I let Mrs. Engineer know that since I didn't do a cold smoke we could control the salt to her taste she was really enthusiastic about it.
              I am pleased..and again thank you. And..she’s got a sensitive palate. She should be making seasonings too :) Maybe I need an employee?

Comment

I have never cured fish on purpose. (Except for Riches Salmon Brine) That said, if you like that effect, why not use cure#1? You could better control the salt that way. It would have to be measured carefully and mixed WELL! Probably easier to mix the whole package, rather than a single use. Just a thought.

As an after thought, if you are smoking fresh water fish - particularly Great Lake fish, cure is not a bad idea. Fresh water fish have a whole different set of parasites and bacteria than salt water fish. I only smoke wild caught salt water fish. Many folks don't have that available.

Never make sushi or savitchi with fresh water fish!
                Mark
                sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Great post and head to head Dana. Both look great!
                  sigpic

Comment

Great head to head taste test. Both look very tasty.
                    Jim

Comment

yeah if rich's stuff already has salt, then use cure #1.

I would add that all the cold smoked salmon made in the uk (thousands of tons a year) is cured just with salt and sugar. There are no addded nitrites.

That said - obviously you use a lot more salt than is in rich's rub, which is mainly to add flavour.

But TQ ?
                      That's pretty much just adding extra salt. makes more sense to use a more concentrated cure which won't change the saltiness of rich's rub.
                      Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Thanks for the Great Test & Report, Dana!!
                        Much Appreciated!

As an avid TQ user, I have to agree with those who say not to use TQ with any other Rub or Brine that has a salt content. If cure is needed, or wanted to be used with something with a salt content, I would go with the Cure #1.

Just my 2 Piasters.

Bear
                        Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post

But TQ ?
                          That's pretty much just adding extra salt. makes more sense to use a more concentrated cure which won't change the saltiness of rich's rub.
                          At 3% salt in the base product..it’s not enough salt. The TQ provides 2 functions, the salt and the cure. He could cut the amt of TQ some.

Or, use canning salt to his desire and Cure 1 to accomplish the curing..only NEEDED in cool/cold smoke situations..but preferred in all..because it DOES affect the flavor.

Comment

Working...
                          X