Smoked-Meat Forums

Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > 911 Urgent Situations

911 Urgent Situations Emergency Forum , Need Help Fast ? Post Here!!!

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Active Threads
0 Just shrimp po'boy and potato chips
Last Post: driedstick
Posted On: 01-16-2018
Replies: 7
Views: 91
0 Venison Backstraps (Super-Tender & Tasty)
Last Post: Fishawn
Replies: 3
Views: 62
0 Shredded Chicken Fritters
Last Post: driedstick
Replies: 13
Views: 133
0 The most satisfying sound...
Last Post: HawgHeaven
Replies: 9
Views: 148
0 Did some belly
Last Post: TKOBBQ
Replies: 16
Views: 229
More...
Mini Stats
Members 7,522 Entries 1
Members Entries
Threads 43,183 Reviews 1
Threads Reviews
Posts 648,421 Polls 37
Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...

Old 01-22-2017, 07:01 PM
Pit Masters Assistant

strength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To All
strength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To All
Default Pulled Pork Attempt, keep it or pitch it?

I am in the process of attempting to smoke a 11# bone in pork butt. Seasoned and injected Saturday morning.
Here is the time line
0630- preheat MES40 to 225*
Light maze w apple and hickory
0700- add slab of baby backs to top shelf
0800- add 11# pork butt on 3rd shelf, foil drip tray underneath
0900- foil baby backs
1200- pull baby backs. IT 158*, insert probe into butt, initial temp reading was 127 after 5 hours, turn unit up to 240.
1330 turn unit up to 250. 2nd probe on shelf was reading 10* cooler than the smoker says.
1645- probe reads 149*. Place butt in foil pan with apple juice and cover with foil. Turn unit up to max (275*). Shelf probe still reading cooler than smoker says.
1730- probe reads 154*. Shelf probe is reading 270*.
Plan is to go until IT hits 195* then rest and shred.
So by not getting to 134* in 4 hours, is this cook best thrown away?
Outside temp has been low 60s and windy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 01-22-2017, 07:04 PM
Lake & BBQ Baby!!

barkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To All
barkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To All

I think you are fine... the outside I bet got to the needed temp... I would keep cooking...

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
Yoder YS640
Weber Genesis
Weber 18.5" Kettle
Weber Performer
Misfit # 1899

Old 01-22-2017, 07:35 PM
Cookin with fire

SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All
SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All

Keep cooking and don't be shy with the smoke...Sounds like an opportunity for a deliciously smoky batch of pork

Craig
Old 01-22-2017, 07:38 PM
Cookin with fire

SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All
SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All

on re-reading...Heck you're only 10 hours into what could be a 17 hour cook...Sorry if you planned on this for tonight's supper...Order pizza and let the porker have all the time it needs

Craig
Old 01-22-2017, 08:26 PM
Pit Master

crusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To All
crusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To All

Been there done that. Let your conscious be your guide.
Island of Misfit Smokers Member #94

I cuss like a Sailor, because I am a Sailor

Old 01-22-2017, 09:04 PM
Learning from the Best

DDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To All
DDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by strength_and_power View Post
I am in the process of attempting to smoke a 11# bone in pork butt. Seasoned and injected Saturday morning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by strength_and_power View Post
So by not getting to 134* in 4 hours, is this cook best thrown away?
I'd say you would have been fine if you didn't inject. If you hadn't injected only the outer 1/4" needed to get up to 135° in four hours. But since you did inject, that changes what the recommendations say. Recommendations for whole intact muscle no longer apply.

If I was going to inject I would have set the initial temp to 250°. But then I always start them at 240°.

127° after 5 hours on an injected butt? I'd toss it and either not inject or crank up the heat next weekend..

But it's your call. Not for me to decide. Just telling you what I would do based on my understanding of the recommendations.
Weber Performer
Blue Thermapen
Auber Smoker Controller
Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88

-

"All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010
Old 01-23-2017, 12:47 AM
Sausage Slinger

dward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To All
dward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To All

You are fine..... SMoke on...

I love coming home. My back porch smells just like a BBQ joint.....

Old 01-23-2017, 02:00 AM
Pit Masters Assistant

strength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To All
strength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusty ol salt View Post
Been there done that. Let your conscious be your guide.

According to my ex girlfriends, I have neither a conscious or a soul

Old 01-23-2017, 06:32 AM
Fire Starter

old retired cabinetmaker Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godold retired cabinetmaker Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godold retired cabinetmaker Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godold retired cabinetmaker Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godold retired cabinetmaker Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godold retired cabinetmaker Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godold retired cabinetmaker Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godold retired cabinetmaker Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godold retired cabinetmaker Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godold retired cabinetmaker Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godold retired cabinetmaker Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godold retired cabinetmaker Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godold retired cabinetmaker Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God

Your times are consistent with most of mine. An eight pound butt usually takes about 7hrs to reach 160 @ 240°. That's where I foil and take to 200 or probe tender. That usually takes 11-12 hrs. Eleven lbs should take 13-14 hrs. Not reaching 134 in 4 hrs is not a deal breaker. It's not fowl. It takes as long as it takes.
Really ugly drum
Bbq guru digi q
Red thermopen
Old 01-23-2017, 06:48 AM
Orycteropus Bbqensis

curious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To All
curious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To All

what did you inject it with ?

Reason being, yes the needle can introduce bacteria into the interior of the meat - but depending on what's in the solution, it can also be an antibacterial solution in it's own right.
Either way I think your meat should be fine.

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head
Old 01-23-2017, 07:00 AM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDave View Post
I'd say you would have been fine if you didn't inject. If you hadn't injected only the outer 1/4" needed to get up to 135° in four hours. But since you did inject, that changes what the recommendations say. Recommendations for whole intact muscle no longer apply.
Technically..this is correct. Altho chances are smaller with pork/beef, you MAY have inadvertently poked bacteria into the meat with the injection process.

While I cannot seem to find info on it, here’s a “poster” recommending 155° for any injected meats. Take note prime rib/rare roast peoples.

https://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/defau...ulesPoster.pdf
Old 01-23-2017, 07:51 AM
Pit Masters Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
what did you inject it with ?

Reason being, yes the needle can introduce bacteria into the interior of the meat - but depending on what's in the solution, it can also be an antibacterial solution in it's own right.

Either way I think your meat should be fine.

Creole butter

Old 01-23-2017, 08:02 AM
Pit Masters Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by old retired cabinetmaker View Post
Your times are consistent with most of mine. An eight pound butt usually takes about 7hrs to reach 160 @ 240°. That's where I foil and take to 200 or probe tender. That usually takes 11-12 hrs. Eleven lbs should take 13-14 hrs. Not reaching 134 in 4 hrs is not a deal breaker. It's not fowl. It takes as long as it takes.

At 2030, 12.5 hours in, the IT was 207. I verified this with a second thermometer and then pulled and placed in a cooler for 45 minutes.
Bone pulled right out and the meat pulled/shredded easily, almost too tender.I couldn't resist trying a small piece, I'm not dead and didn't end up spending my evening on the toilet so it was probably fine. Ultimately I decided this was just a visual experiment and ended up tossing figuring a $12 pork butt was not worth the potential down time considering my week is packed. It was a good learning experience and I'm sure the next one will be even better.

The rack of baby backs I did at the beginning did turn out great so there is some solace.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:03 AM
Pit Masters Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richtee View Post
Technically..this is correct. Altho chances are smaller with pork/beef, you MAY have inadvertently poked bacteria into the meat with the injection process.

While I cannot seem to find info on it, here’s a “poster” recommending 155° for any injected meats. Take note prime rib/rare roast peoples.

https://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/defau...ulesPoster.pdf

Looks like I have some reading to do

Old 01-23-2017, 10:25 AM
Pit Master

nickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To All
nickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To All

Just throw away the injector and rock it out again.

It does suck when you start second guessing your smoker, thermometers and judgement.

Sounds like you got a lesson on your smoker.

Test your thermometers right before your cook to solve that problem...

Have another beer to solve the judgment problem...

And get the picture of you throwing away a perfectly good piece of meat out of your head.......it most likely has happened to us all.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:35 AM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelmore View Post
it most likely has happened to us all.
Oh Yeah.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:42 AM
Orycteropus Bbqensis

Seems like a waste to me :-(
But each to their own I guess :-)

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head
Old 01-23-2017, 11:07 AM
Pit Master

Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All
Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDave View Post

If I was going to inject I would have set the initial temp to 250°. But then I always start them at 240°.

127° after 5 hours on an injected butt? I'd toss it and either not inject or crank up the heat next weekend..

But it's your call. Not for me to decide. Just telling you what I would do based on my understanding of the recommendations.

I agree with DDave, because this is what we were taught.
However there is always discussion about the "140° in no longer than 4 hours" thing (if you Inject or Probe before the outside is at 140° for some length of time.)
I always wait until 3 hours in to play it safe, and I don't inject.

Some would just eat some themself before allowing others to eat it. Some would toss it.

Bear
Old 01-23-2017, 12:12 PM
Learning from the Best

DDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To All
DDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To All

For the record, I'm just going by what bbally told us all those years ago in the Food Safety discussion thread and remaining cautious.

Yes I realize the risk of pushing bacteria into the meat and something happening is small. But I don't know for a fact that that didn't or is not going to happen. Therefore I don't feel comfortable telling someone "You're fine. Go ahead and eat it" when I don't in fact know that.

I guess I could with some confidence say "You're probably fine and the probability that you will turn into a hydro powered stool rocket is low" but I would rather give them the pertinent info and let them decide for themselves.
Weber Performer
Blue Thermapen
Auber Smoker Controller
Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88

-

"All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > 911 Urgent Situations