Smoked-Meat Forums

Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > 911 Urgent Situations

911 Urgent Situations Emergency Forum , Need Help Fast ? Post Here!!!

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Active Threads
0 Project
Last Post: Fishawn
Posted On: 12-13-2017
Replies: 17
Views: 155
0 Tres leche cake
Last Post: Blue Dog BBQ
Replies: 0
Views: 1
0 Thin Blade Knives?
Last Post: Fishawn
Replies: 18
Views: 160
0 Ribeyes with chimichurri.
Last Post: Blue Dog BBQ
Replies: 1
Views: 7
0 Suckling pig???
Last Post: Richtee
Replies: 2
Views: 19
More...
Mini Stats
Members 7,464 Entries 1
Members Entries
Threads 42,981 Reviews 1
Threads Reviews
Posts 644,840 Polls 37
Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...

Old 01-23-2017, 12:46 PM
Sausage Slinger

dward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To All
dward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richtee View Post
Technically..this is correct. Altho chances are smaller with pork/beef, you MAY have inadvertently poked bacteria into the meat with the injection process.

While I cannot seem to find info on it, here’s a “poster” recommending 155° for any injected meats. Take note prime rib/rare roast peoples.

https://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/defau...ulesPoster.pdf
Not to hijack the thread, but this brought up an interesting thought. This omits the effect of lower temps over time (ie, pasteurization), so the 140* rule might not really be as hard a line to tow as it once was.

This has been well hashed out in the sous vide threads, but if the internal temp was in the 134* range after 4 hours, it is well within the guidelines published for sous vide cooking (even if a little bacteria or two was pushed inside the time of exposure to the lower temp had done the job). If you go by the USDA poster, every piece of meat I've put in my sous vide bath was a lethal time bomb looking for a victim.

I love coming home. My back porch smells just like a BBQ joint.....

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 01-23-2017, 12:54 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Yes..there are those guides. But also, remember that SV is a precise temp controlled environment... and more predictable than a pit..hell a damned oven possibly. Soo - fudge factor present.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:07 PM
<--- Me Li'l Sous Chef

HawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To All
HawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To All

I don't inject for two reasons. One is the bacteria thing, and the other is it is a pain in the arse to clean the needles. And I don't like poking holes in my meat.

~ P4 ~

There are good ships and wood ships,
The ships that sail the sea,
But the best ships are friendships,
And may they always be.

http://www.hhsbbq.com
Old 01-23-2017, 01:58 PM
Rub Mixer

strength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To All
strength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
Seems like a waste to me :-(
But each to their own I guess :-)

Life lessons aren't always free. This one cost me $12 and some time.

11#s of meat is a good bit, looks even larger after shredding. Plan was to eat some, freeze some and give some away. I can't in good conscience give away food that could cause sickness. Lessons leaned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2017, 06:53 PM
Pit Master

crusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To All
crusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawgHeaven View Post
And I don't like poking holes in my meat.
Amazing what a quote says when it is out of context
Island of Misfit Smokers Member #94

weber smokie joe
18.5" weber prefomer
22.5" weber kettle
ECB
Chargriller SnP well modified
one ugly ass drum smoker
New Braunfels Bandera in dry dock for a service life extension overhaul

and

saving for a trailer mounted 60" reverse flow for my christmas present
Old 01-23-2017, 07:43 PM
Pit Master

zombini Is  A Name Known To All
zombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawgHeaven View Post
I don't inject for two reasons. One is the bacteria thing, and the other is it is a pain in the arse to clean the needles. And I don't like poking holes in my meat.
Thats funny. I really like your way of thinking:
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Genesis Silver
Smokin Tex
MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5
Maverick ET 732
Brown and lime green ThermaPens
2 orange ThermoPops
A-Maze-N Tube 18"
A-Maze-N Smoker 5"x8"
Vortex
Old 01-23-2017, 07:45 PM
Orycteropus Bbqensis

curious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To All
curious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To All

it's ppp - who says it's out of context

And yeah, given how long stuff in sous vide is out of the 'comfort zone' why aren't you all dead ?
(not ice, obviously)

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head
Old 01-23-2017, 09:20 PM
Cookin with fire

SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All
SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All

All the SV shit aside

I doubt there was a problem...Betting all of us have been in that same situation and didn't know it

I don't inject because I'm too lazy...That and I don't think butts need injecting Quote that one
Old 01-24-2017, 01:51 AM
Rub Mixer

strength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To All
strength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
All the SV shit aside

I doubt there was a problem...Betting all of us have been in that same situation and didn't know it

I don't inject because I'm too lazy...That and I don't think butts need injecting Quote that one

That is interesting. Before the wired thermometers and such how did one know?

I will only be rubbing the butt and not injecting it next time. I also won't be getting such a big butt, after pulling it, it definitely was a butt load of meat

Old 01-24-2017, 09:00 AM
Pit Master

BYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To All
BYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by strength_and_power View Post
That is interesting. Before the wired thermometers and such how did one know?

I will only be rubbing the butt and not injecting it next time. I also won't be getting such a big butt, after pulling it, it definitely was a butt load of meat

People took the time to learn their cookers. How they cooked and at what temp they cooked the best at. They didn't constantly open the lid and check. They know that for a ribs, butt, or brisket cooked at a certain temp that they don't need to be checking the IT til say 3 hours in. They also went by the look and feel of the meat because every piece of meat is different.
Basically they learned to cook without all the new equipment before they started using the new stuff. Just because a piece of meat has cooked for 4 hours or the IT is 195°, doesn't mean the meat is done(poultry excepted for temp). Learn to do a bend test or toothpick poke for ribs, probe tender test for brisket or butts.
Seems like now days people new to smoking think it's all going by a clock or temp gauge to tell if something is done. Then they ask why when it doesn't come out the way they expect it to. The time and temp are just tools to use. Not the end all.

JMHO-YMMV

Last edited by BYBBQ; 01-24-2017 at 09:35 AM.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:16 AM
Pit Master

BYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To All
BYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To All

I also don't see a need to inject a butt. Maybe if you were cooking in a comp, but not for general eating at home.

Again....JMHO-YMMV
Old 01-24-2017, 12:15 PM
Rub Mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYBBQ View Post
I also don't see a need to inject a butt. Maybe if you were cooking in a comp, but not for general eating at home.

Again....JMHO-YMMV

I doubt I will inject a butt again. I had read in here where a guy injected a butt, the pics looked good, my experience injecting a turkey produced favorable results, I had a new bottle of creole butter left over from a 3 pack so hey, why not? If you don't try, you will never know.
The biggest takeaway from all this is realizing the need to make sure the temp readings are accurate and adjust as needed. This tidbit should help with future cooks across the board.

Old 01-28-2017, 10:20 AM
<--- Me Li'l Sous Chef

HawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To All
HawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYBBQ View Post
People took the time to learn their cookers. How they cooked and at what temp they cooked the best at. They didn't constantly open the lid and check. They know that for a ribs, butt, or brisket cooked at a certain temp that they don't need to be checking the IT til say 3 hours in. They also went by the look and feel of the meat because every piece of meat is different.
Basically they learned to cook without all the new equipment before they started using the new stuff. Just because a piece of meat has cooked for 4 hours or the IT is 195°, doesn't mean the meat is done(poultry excepted for temp). Learn to do a bend test or toothpick poke for ribs, probe tender test for brisket or butts.
Seems like now days people new to smoking think it's all going by a clock or temp gauge to tell if something is done. Then they ask why when it doesn't come out the way they expect it to. The time and temp are just tools to use. Not the end all.

JMHO-YMMV
Yup, I totally agree. I stopped using all the wires and probes years ago. Look. Feel. Take its temp toward the end with a Thermapen/Thermopop... Nice probes on both to get that feel.

~ P4 ~

There are good ships and wood ships,
The ships that sail the sea,
But the best ships are friendships,
And may they always be.

http://www.hhsbbq.com

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > 911 Urgent Situations