Smoked-Meat Forums

Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Cooking With Iron

Cooking With Iron If You Cook It With Dutch Ovens Or Cast Iron Pans, Here's Where You Want To Show It.

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Active Threads
0 DDave's Reverse Flow Build
Last Post: SMOKE FREAK
Posted On: 01-18-2018
Replies: 22
Views: 322
0 Venison Backstraps (Super-Tender & Tasty)
Last Post: AJ
Replies: 12
Views: 184
0 OK dammit. The Cold’s got me down.
Last Post: Fishawn
Replies: 25
Views: 326
0 More briskets
Last Post: Fishawn
Replies: 7
Views: 64
0 Rudy's with a twist
Last Post: SMOKE FREAK
Replies: 12
Views: 203
More...
Mini Stats
Members 7,527 Entries 1
Members Entries
Threads 43,189 Reviews 1
Threads Reviews
Posts 648,535 Polls 37
Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...

Old 03-16-2017, 07:38 PM
Pit Masters Assistant

Jailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To All
Jailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To All
Default American Culinary Cast Iron

Anybody buy any of these? According to the website the are the company that's left of the merger of Wagner and Griswold cast iron brands. They also offer Wagner Ware aluminum cookware as well.

Reason I ask is they offer polished cast iron for what seems like reasonable prices. Might be a decent alternative to Lodge at similar prices, especially if it truly does have a better finish. I'm thinking of trying out one of the 10.5 inch polished pans just to see if they are any good.

Is it too good to be true?

http://www.wagnerware.com/

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 03-16-2017, 07:58 PM
Barque Berner

Mark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To All
Mark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To All

I don't know. I thought Griswold bought out Wagner, then Griswold went out of business... Maybe acquired the rights??? Lemme check with some folks that might know sumptin.

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!
Old 03-16-2017, 08:47 PM
Barque Berner

Mark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To All
Mark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To All

My Cousin that collects CI, says "my money would be on imported cookware. That largest skillet is $45 and in comparison, lodge on sale in stores is probably $55 to 60. I didn't see any chest puffing about made in America either. An American made Finex skillet is $125 so if you are looking for the name, don't care where it's made, its probably decent cookware. Its all about the inspection before it leaves the plant."
He is not familiar with it. The Wagner and Griswold American plants closed decades ago.
In other words probably Chinese, prolly shouldn't buy unseen. Might be okay if you can look at it. If it is online be careful.

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!
Old 03-16-2017, 08:55 PM
Cookin with fire

SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All
SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All

Well I wanna here about it if you buy it...

Craig
Old 03-16-2017, 08:56 PM
Pit Masters Assistant

Jailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To All
Jailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To All

That's kind of what I was wondering. I also noticed a lot of "American heritage" on their website but no mention of American made.

I'm going to contact them and ask if it's made in the USA or imported.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:54 PM
Pit Master

BYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To All
BYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To All

That company acquired the rights to the designs and names about 17 years ago. They are an import company. Lots of complaints on the products. In fact some of the look-ups on the business say they maybe out of business and the last phone number no longer works. Also the last address for them is a residential home address they were doing business from.

I think I would pass on buying from them. JMHO
Old 03-16-2017, 10:47 PM
Pit Masters Assistant

Thanks for the info. The site looks a bit antiquated and that's what led me to post here.

Usually if it sounds too good to be true it generally is.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:54 AM
RIP Cowgirl Cassidy

BBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To All
BBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To All

If a person were so inclined to chuck up a few abrasive disks, they could polish cast iron in their own workshop. There are quite a few videos on you tube, here is one that shows it through stages and it produces a pretty good finish...however, for those prices I'd probably just go with those.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:13 AM
Pit Master

BYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To All
BYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To All

Before you buy, Google the owning company and make your decision then.

The actual company name is.....

American Culinary Corporation, Inc.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:44 AM
Pit Masters Assistant

Found another interesting option while looking around this morning. Stargazer cast iron. New upstart from a kickstarter campaign but it looks like the real deal. They only offer a 10.5 inch pan and aren't shipping until June of this year but it looks very promising.

https://www.reddit.com/r/castiron/co..._month_review/

http://imgur.com/a/JJLXK
Old 03-17-2017, 11:12 AM
RIP Cowgirl Cassidy

BBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To All
BBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To All

Jailer,

If smooth polished interior is what you are after you may also look at the Carbon Steel Pans...I got one a couple months ago and have used it every day...it has never seen the inside of a cabinet...It is smooth as glass and slick as teflon...about the same weight as a comparably sized cast iron. I will own more of these before I add cast iron to my stable.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42727

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:40 AM
Pit Masters Assistant

I saw your post as well as gracoman's and have been looking those as an option as well. My only experience so far has been a lodge skillet and I'm less than impressed. Do the carbon steels work good on an electric cook top?
Old 03-17-2017, 11:52 AM
Pit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailer View Post
I saw your post as well as gracoman's and have been looking those as an option as well. My only experience so far has been a lodge skillet and I'm less than impressed. Do the carbon steels work good on an electric cook top?
Better than cast iron pans. If I needed new pans, I would go steel over cast iron. JMHO
Old 03-17-2017, 12:03 PM
Stick-in-the-mud

gracoman Is  A Name Known To Allgracoman Is  A Name Known To Allgracoman Is  A Name Known To Allgracoman Is  A Name Known To Allgracoman Is  A Name Known To All
gracoman Is  A Name Known To Allgracoman Is  A Name Known To Allgracoman Is  A Name Known To Allgracoman Is  A Name Known To Allgracoman Is  A Name Known To Allgracoman Is  A Name Known To All

Carbon steel is a hard sell here.

Perhaps this will help you decide.

Steak sear on my 12" carbon steel pan when it was new

Fully Accessorized Primo XL Oval,
-BBQ GURU DigiQ DX2,
-AMNPS
-And various other do-dads, gimmicks,
gizmos and hornswaggles
Old 03-17-2017, 10:20 PM
Pepper Head

Abelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To All
Abelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To All

I love the carbon steel concept. I will own one soon I hope.

Thanks for all of the info!
Masterbuilt 7 in 1
Old 03-18-2017, 05:46 PM
Meat Mopper

Wahoo95 Is Becoming A Smoke GuruWahoo95 Is Becoming A Smoke GuruWahoo95 Is Becoming A Smoke GuruWahoo95 Is Becoming A Smoke GuruWahoo95 Is Becoming A Smoke GuruWahoo95 Is Becoming A Smoke GuruWahoo95 Is Becoming A Smoke GuruWahoo95 Is Becoming A Smoke GuruWahoo95 Is Becoming A Smoke Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracoman View Post
Carbon steel is a hard sell here.

Perhaps this will help you decide.

Steak sear on my 12" carbon steel pan when it was new
That's beautiful!

How do you clean the carbon steel pans....do you treat them like Cast Iron?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2017, 06:40 PM
Pit Masters Assistant

Yes they are treated like cast iron. I imagine a good de glazing with some hot water would be in order after a sear like that.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:41 PM
Let's Rock Louie!

Slanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To All
Slanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To All

got plenty of CI...got a 14" de buyer coming, ordered today...will report...Cheers!

Old 03-18-2017, 08:54 PM
Stick-in-the-mud

gracoman Is  A Name Known To Allgracoman Is  A Name Known To Allgracoman Is  A Name Known To Allgracoman Is  A Name Known To Allgracoman Is  A Name Known To All
gracoman Is  A Name Known To Allgracoman Is  A Name Known To Allgracoman Is  A Name Known To Allgracoman Is  A Name Known To Allgracoman Is  A Name Known To Allgracoman Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailer View Post
Yes they are treated like cast iron. I imagine a good de glazing with some hot water would be in order after a sear like that.
Most times a rinse in hot water (before the pan completely cools) and a quick scrub with a nylon brush does the trick.

For problems, I pour hot water in a cooled pan and gently "scrub" with a chainmail scrubber. Dry and lightly coat with oil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-suTmUX4Vbk&t=260s

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/03/w...-cookware.html

Fully Accessorized Primo XL Oval,
-BBQ GURU DigiQ DX2,
-AMNPS
-And various other do-dads, gimmicks,
gizmos and hornswaggles

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Cooking With Iron