Posted On: 01-19-2018
Replies: 23
Views: 365
0 Venison pastrami...
Last Post: HawgHeaven
Posted On: 01-19-2018
Replies: 10
Views: 97
0 Venison Backstraps (Super-Tender & Tasty)
Last Post: AJ
Posted On: 01-18-2018
Replies: 12
Views: 193
More...
Mini Stats
Members 7,527 Entries 1
Members Entries
Threads 43,189 Reviews 1
Threads Reviews
Posts 648,535 Polls 37
Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...

Old 05-29-2017, 09:19 AM
<--- Me Li'l Sous Chef

HawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To All
HawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To All

Kitchen sink or pan of cold water. Been doing it for years, and I'm still able to type this message...

~ P4 ~

There are good ships and wood ships,
The ships that sail the sea,
But the best ships are friendships,
And may they always be.

http://www.hhsbbq.com

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 05-29-2017, 10:54 AM
Pit Master

nickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To All
nickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawgHeaven View Post
Kitchen sink or pan of cold water. Been doing it for years, and I'm still able to type this message...
Me too for smaller size pieces or whole chickens and such. I just feel a little uncomfortable leaving a 10 pound piece in a sink overnight. It would never reach an equalized temp in the fridge, -20 to 40 would take weeks.

Texture was normal, taste normal. The only thing I would do different would be to take it direct from the bath to the smoker instead of letting the surface dry. so it would take on smoke.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:14 AM
<--- Me Li'l Sous Chef

HawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To All
HawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelmore View Post
Me too for smaller size pieces or whole chickens and such. I just feel a little uncomfortable leaving a 10 pound piece in a sink overnight. It would never reach an equalized temp in the fridge, -20 to 40 would take weeks.

Texture was normal, taste normal. The only thing I would do different would be to take it direct from the bath to the smoker instead of letting the surface dry. so it would take on smoke.

I thawed a small beef eye roast, still in its cryovac, yesterday in a tub of water, once it was thawed, I stuck it the fridge for an overnight rest. It is now taking a bath in the SV @ 134 with JAB, salt, pepper, butter. It will hit the coals for the sear this afternoon.

~ P4 ~

There are good ships and wood ships,
The ships that sail the sea,
But the best ships are friendships,
And may they always be.

http://www.hhsbbq.com
Old 05-29-2017, 11:57 AM
Learning from the Best

DDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To All
DDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To All

Well initially I would have been one to disagree and frankly was a bit horrified as I followed this thread early on. But food safety "discussions" have caused quite a few blow-ups here so I just kept quiet.

One thing that this thread had that most others don't is this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelmore View Post
Find a couple of year old 10.5 pork shoulder in -20 freexer. Vac packed . Basically a 10 pound block of frozen meat.

Into SV at 100 F for 4-5 or so hours to thaw.

Read time and temp on 10 different sites.

De bone and cut up into three different pieces. Still cold to touch internal.
Data. And verifiable facts.

That has more credibiiity than the "I did it and didn't die, therefore it must be safe." declaration.

Although it would have been interesting to know what the actual temp was when you de-boned it. "Cold to the touch" is pretty relative. 50 or even 60 is going to be cold to the touch.
Weber Performer
Blue Thermapen
Auber Smoker Controller
Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88

-

"All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010
Old 05-29-2017, 11:55 PM
Pit Master

nickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To All
nickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Although it would have been interesting to know what the actual temp was when you de-boned it. "Cold to the touch" is pretty relative. 50 or even 60 is going to be cold to the touch.
Yea I should have hit it with the instant read therm.....but I had more on my mind. There is a number of time/temp sites that refer back to the same one and it is metric.....and no I did not measure my pieces in millimeters. ....whistle:

The plus side of this adventure is that I learned a little bit more about food safety, I made room in the freezer, and having three pieces produced a lot of surface area for pork burnt ends.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Food & Cooking Safety