Smoked-Meat Forums

Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Helpful Information

Helpful Information Info, Tips & Tricks On Smoking Meats.

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Active Threads
0 Baking Bacon?
Last Post: Richtee
Posted On: 01-18-2018
Replies: 28
Views: 489
0 What beef cut for sausage?
Last Post: Bearcarver
Replies: 6
Views: 175
0 Venison Backstraps (Super-Tender & Tasty)
Last Post: Bearcarver
Replies: 9
Views: 165
0 Shredded Chicken Fritters
Last Post: chefrob
Replies: 20
Views: 241
0 DDave's Reverse Flow Build
Last Post: Mark R
Replies: 21
Views: 305
More...
Mini Stats
Members 7,522 Entries 1
Members Entries
Threads 43,186 Reviews 1
Threads Reviews
Posts 648,467 Polls 37
Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...
Old 07-03-2017, 04:29 AM
Smoked-Meat Newbie

tonychapple Is Just Starting Out
Default A really novice question - smoking woods

Hi everyone,

I've recently purchased a kamado Joe and some smoking wood chunks : apple, sweet chestnut, cherry, hickory, oak and plum

My question is about experimenting ...
I'd like to smoke different woods and see the difference ....

Do I need to do 1 wood cook a steak, then next day another wood cook a steak etc....

Or can I use 1 wood(cook steak), then a few hours later another wood etc. Or will the flavours get mixed up?

Many thank

Tony

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 07-03-2017, 06:08 AM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Hmm..well..your pit WILL develop a certain “seasoning” as time goes on. Probably most apparent with the first few smokes. But you’ll know the difference in the woods.
Smoke is often “layered” IE I will start with hickory and then go to apple for a “finish smoke” on ribs alot.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:42 AM
Smoked-Meat Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richtee View Post
Hmm..well..your pit WILL develop a certain “seasoning” as time goes on. Probably most apparent with the first few smokes. But you’ll know the difference in the woods.

Smoke is often “layered” IE I will start with hickory and then go to apple for a “finish smoke” on ribs alot.

Thanks for the reply ... at the moment I'm still at the stage of working out which wood I prefer - hence do I need to smoke different woods on different days to get an idea, or after a few hours or so, can I put a different wood on or will the BBQ still be flavoured by previous wood ......

Old 07-03-2017, 07:53 AM
Cookin with fire

SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All
SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All

Best way to learn what smoke flavors ya like is build lots of fires...

Try em all and then try em all again...

And to Smoked-Meat

Craig
Old 07-03-2017, 07:56 AM
Pit Masters Assistant

Jailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To All
Jailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To All

Yup, just experiment and see what you like. Everyones taste buds are different so youll have to figure out what you like best.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:10 AM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Another thing.. your tastes WILL be affected by hanging around the cooker. Almost always..the next day I notice subtleties in the flavor I did NOT the day of the cook. The smoke of course affects the nose, and that affects your tasting ability.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:03 PM
Pit Master

jwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To All
jwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To All

So,
Nice selection of wood. Organize them by strength of smoke. Hickory and Oak will be the strongest followed by your fruit woods. Heavier meats will tolerate a stronger smoke. I don't mean more smoke but heavier aroma. For instance I wouldn't necessarily smoke pork or chicken in oak but some do after they have gained experience with their tools.

Personally, I use my fruitwoods for a light sweet smoke flavor on white meats, especially fish. In my opinion, combinations of wood flavors is nice but always err on the conservative side and go with less of the stronger flavor. Like one chunk of hickory to two chunks of plum. A good hardwood will always overpower the flavor. And make sure you ALWAYS go light on the smoke. Those K joes don't have a tremendous amount of airflow so a little goes a long way. Plus you save on wood. So, start light and practice like the other guys said.

A good way to experiment is get a big pack of chicken thighs. do a few at a time until you get dialed in. They are relatively cheap and can always be eaten as is or chopped up for other things. no need to trash out a good ribeye if you get my drift.
Good luck

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...
Old 07-03-2017, 03:05 PM
Smoked-Meat Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbtulsa View Post
So,
Nice selection of wood. Organize them by strength of smoke. Hickory and Oak will be the strongest followed by your fruit woods. Heavier meats will tolerate a stronger smoke. I don't mean more smoke but heavier aroma. For instance I wouldn't necessarily smoke pork or chicken in oak but some do after they have gained experience with their tools.

Personally, I use my fruitwoods for a light sweet smoke flavor on white meats, especially fish. In my opinion, combinations of wood flavors is nice but always err on the conservative side and go with less of the stronger flavor. Like one chunk of hickory to two chunks of plum. A good hardwood will always overpower the flavor. And make sure you ALWAYS go light on the smoke. Those K joes don't have a tremendous amount of airflow so a little goes a long way. Plus you save on wood. So, start light and practice like the other guys said.

A good way to experiment is get a big pack of chicken thighs. do a few at a time until you get dialed in. They are relatively cheap and can always be eaten as is or chopped up for other things. no need to trash out a good ribeye if you get my drift.
Good luck

FANTASTIC reply !!! Thanks very much indeed

Old 07-03-2017, 03:14 PM
Cookin with fire

SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All
SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
So,

Good luck
It almost sounds like he knows what he's talking about

Craig
Old 07-03-2017, 07:08 PM
Pit Master

jwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To All
jwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To Alljwbtulsa Is  A Name Known To All

Shit, I don't ever know what I am talking about. Mostly I'm just talking. The only thing I know for certain is when two things happen: a girl hikes up her skirt and a man pours me a drink. Both times I say thank you and if I get them on the same day, it must be a holiday. Happy Fourth of July!!!!

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...
Old 07-03-2017, 08:40 PM
Cookin with fire

Quote:
Shit, I don't ever know what I am talking about. Mostly I'm just talking. The only thing I know for certain is when two things happen: a girl hikes up her skirt and a man pours me a drink. Both times I say thank you and if I get them on the same day, it must be a holiday. Happy Fourth of July!!!!
It almost sounds like he knows what he is talking about

Craig
Old 07-03-2017, 09:08 PM
TBS Sniffer

barleypop Is  A Name Known To All
barleypop Is  A Name Known To Allbarleypop Is  A Name Known To Allbarleypop Is  A Name Known To Allbarleypop Is  A Name Known To Allbarleypop Is  A Name Known To Allbarleypop Is  A Name Known To Allbarleypop Is  A Name Known To Allbarleypop Is  A Name Known To All

I would suggest using a mild wood to start out with if your not used to smoking meat. As mentioned try a pork butt and chicken, cheap and kinda hard to mess up. Also you don't want billows of smoke just nice wisps. If your tongue tingles and meat taste like an ashtray you created creosote by not applying light smoke. I would suggest tossing it at that point.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:00 AM
Orycteropus Bbqensis

curious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To All
curious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To All

I know it's supposed to make a difference, but honestly I've never noticed one.

Even the bay wood, which smellsa bit like bay leaves, doesn't make the food taste like bay.

One of the problems I find is that as the cook and person whos exposed to the smoke while cooking, it totally kills my taste buds towards smoke flavour.
I can pretty much only taste the smoke in food the day after I've smoked it.

So make sure you keep some for the next day :-)

Cold smoking on the other hand is much better as I just light the smokevark and bugger off for 18 hours. Or 5 if it's cheese.

But differentiating between different types of wood - never been able to. That said I always use very light tbs. And my food doesn't turn out black as pitch, like some I see round here. So maybe that's it

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Helpful Information