First go with Mad Hunky Salmon brine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First go with Mad Hunky Salmon brine

Brined and vac bagged for 23 hours and into the MES.

Smoking away

Finished product.

I think it turned out good. The brine was excellent....Thanks Rich for the pointers.
    z
    sigpic
    GMG Daniel Boone
    UDS
    Weber 22.5" Kettle (blk)
    Vision Kamado grill
    Weber Genesis Silver
    Smokin Tex
    MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5
    Maverick ET 732
    Brown and lime green ThermaPens
    2 orange ThermoPops
    A-Maze-N Tube 18"
    A-Maze-N Smoker 5"x8"
    Vortex

We talked... yeah... it’s not a fried filet. But happy you enjoyed it.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Looks great and the docs keeps suggesting more fish so... When Wild caught I'll give it a try. Now to find best wood to use. No longer access to citrus or mangrove.
      sigpic
      It's Better When Cooked in the Backyard and Served on the Porch
      A man just can't have to many toys..
      Akorn smoker

Comment

Originally posted by BrisketJunkie View Post
        Looks great and the docs keeps suggesting more fish so... When Wild caught I'll give it a try. Now to find best wood to use. No longer access to citrus or mangrove.
        Alder is the classic. HD and possibly some Do-It hardwares carry chunks or chips of it usually...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
          Alder is the classic. HD and possibly some Do-It hardwares carry chunks or chips of it usually...
          Road trip. HD 60 miles away this side of Knoxville. Maybe better to have it shipped. Eyes get big in those kind of stores. Much bigger than my wallet. I do love slow smoked salmon.
          sigpic
          It's Better When Cooked in the Backyard and Served on the Porch
          A man just can't have to many toys..
          Akorn smoker

Comment

looks great! I love smoked salmon. As Rich said, Alder would be the traditional wood, at least here in the PNW, but I find any fruit wood, or maple work just as well.
            Mike
            Life In Pit Row

Comment

I initially ate this warm for supper last night and thought you know..I am just not a salmon fan. I used to smoke a lot of carp and buffalo back in the 70s and I never really enjoyed it until it was fridged overnight and eaten cold the next day.....same story here. I tried some of this salmon a bit ago and can't quit eating it. The taste of the brine really shines thru now. Great stuff Rich!
              z
              sigpic
              GMG Daniel Boone
              UDS
              Weber 22.5" Kettle (blk)
              Vision Kamado grill
              Weber Genesis Silver
              Smokin Tex
              MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5
              Maverick ET 732
              2 orange ThermoPops
              A-Maze-N Tube 18"
              A-Maze-N Smoker 5"x8"
              Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by zombini View Post
                I initially ate this warm for supper last night and thought you know..I am just not a salmon fan. I used to smoke a lot of carp and buffalo back in the 70s and I never really enjoyed it until it was fridged overnight and eaten cold the next day.....same story here. I tried some of this salmon a bit ago and can't quit eating it. The taste of the brine really shines thru now. Great stuff Rich!
                z
                My pleasure sir :{) I am happy you enjoy the stuff!

Comment

I'm with you, I like my salmon better cold. Great with crackers and a little bit of wasabi
                  Mike
                  Life In Pit Row

Comment

Originally posted by PitRow View Post
                    I'm with you, I like my salmon better cold. Great with crackers and a little bit of wasabi
                    Zackly!
                    Sunset Eagle Aviation
                    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

z
                      X3. Cold for me also. Tiger Sauce with smoked Salmon/Steelhead on a Ritz. Or mixed with cream cheese as a cracker dip, again with a dab of Tiger Sauce on top.
                      sigpic

Comment

You have a good tiger sauce recipe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        sigpic
                        GMG Daniel Boone
                        UDS
                        Weber 22.5" Kettle (blk)
                        Vision Kamado grill
                        Weber Genesis Silver
                        Smokin Tex
                        MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5
                        Maverick ET 732
                        2 orange ThermoPops
                        A-Maze-N Tube 18"
                        A-Maze-N Smoker 5"x8"
                        Vortex

Comment

You have a good tiger sauce recipe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Yeah, the store!

Just kidding, I buy it from the store, bottled. It's a family favorite with smoked fish and smoked fish dips. Might be available on Amazon?
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                            Yeah, the store!

Just kidding, I buy it from the store, bottled. It's a family favorite with smoked fish and smoked fish dips. Might be available on Amazon?
                            When I googled it I found mayo horseradish base sauce recipes but also seen bottles of tiger sauce for sale that looked more like a red hot sauce?...

I did make a salmon spread with 6oz of the salmon. It is good on a cracker. I topped with a little Franks, but pretty much put that on everything.

this the stuff?

Thanks Z
                            Last edited by zombini; 07-11-2017, 08:42 PM. Reason: adding pic
                            sigpic
                            GMG Daniel Boone
                            UDS
                            Weber 22.5" Kettle (blk)
                            Vision Kamado grill
                            Weber Genesis Silver
                            Smokin Tex
                            MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5
                            Maverick ET 732
                            2 orange ThermoPops
                            A-Maze-N Tube 18"
                            A-Maze-N Smoker 5"x8"
                            Vortex

Comment

I think his brine for fish was awesome. Rich was very generous and shipped us a sample of his salmon. (obviously salmon is kinda shitty in Oklahoma). My son and I ate the whole fillet standing in the kitchen with some soft goat cheese and crostini. FREAKING AWESOME!! Wish I could not have to take out a second mortgage to get some good salmon down here.

Hmmm..... maybe I should offer to trade some tri-tip with somebody...pound for pound. Cows are cheap in Oklahoma...
                              sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Working...
                              X