Smoked-Meat Forums

Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > The BBQ Tube

The BBQ Tube Here You Can Ask Questions On How To Make A Video, Best Camera For Your Dollar, And Video Making Software

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Active Threads
0 Anybody play with pressure cookers?
Last Post: crusty ol salt
Posted On: 01-23-2018
Replies: 18
Views: 211
0 Off-shoot of the Get Laid Shrimp...
Last Post: HawgHeaven
Replies: 8
Views: 62
0 Smoked Salmon (LOX)
Last Post: jwbtulsa
Replies: 2
Views: 33
0 Anyone know anything about this smoker??
Last Post: jgruberman
Replies: 42
Views: 600
6 Just a Lil Puerco Pibil...
Last Post: Slanted88
Replies: 12
Views: 154
More...
Mini Stats
Members 7,533 Entries 1
Members Entries
Threads 43,218 Reviews 1
Threads Reviews
Posts 648,978 Polls 37
Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...
Old 07-09-2017, 06:17 PM
Smoked-Meat Newbie

Steve J Is Becoming A Smoke GuruSteve J Is Becoming A Smoke GuruSteve J Is Becoming A Smoke GuruSteve J Is Becoming A Smoke GuruSteve J Is Becoming A Smoke GuruSteve J Is Becoming A Smoke GuruSteve J Is Becoming A Smoke GuruSteve J Is Becoming A Smoke GuruSteve J Is Becoming A Smoke GuruSteve J Is Becoming A Smoke GuruSteve J Is Becoming A Smoke Guru
Default Smoked Pulled Pork

Finally had a chance to do some pulled pork on the grill. This took about 8 hours to complete but was so worth it. I use a rub called "Bone Sucking Sauce" that I picked up from Lowe's. Let me know what you're making on the grill this weekend. Thanks for watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnzXenWu7zE

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 07-09-2017, 08:24 PM
Biltong King

Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All
Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All

Looks good!

There are some debates on here, and other places, regarding inserting a probe into your meatt when starting your cook, risking possible contamination? I am not up on all the data for this, and am just posting as a heads up for your consideration. I have done it in the past, butt dont anymore. Maybe some of the food safety gurus can chime in on this?

Smoke on Steve
Old 07-09-2017, 08:28 PM
<----Culinary Genius

gmotoman Is  A Name Known To Allgmotoman Is  A Name Known To Allgmotoman Is  A Name Known To Allgmotoman Is  A Name Known To Allgmotoman Is  A Name Known To All
gmotoman Is  A Name Known To Allgmotoman Is  A Name Known To Allgmotoman Is  A Name Known To Allgmotoman Is  A Name Known To Allgmotoman Is  A Name Known To Allgmotoman Is  A Name Known To Allgmotoman Is  A Name Known To Allgmotoman Is  A Name Known To Allgmotoman Is  A Name Known To Allgmotoman Is  A Name Known To Allgmotoman Is  A Name Known To Allgmotoman Is  A Name Known To All

Fish makes sense but when I use a temp probe it goes into the meat when i remember to do it. Sometimes at the beginning of the cook sometimes midway through sometimes i forget. That said, probes are always clean and I have never had an issue.

Dogs and cats living together MASS HYSTERIA!
Old 07-10-2017, 07:05 AM
HardHeadedSmoker

BrisketJunkie Is  A Name Known To All
BrisketJunkie Is  A Name Known To AllBrisketJunkie Is  A Name Known To AllBrisketJunkie Is  A Name Known To AllBrisketJunkie Is  A Name Known To All

We be doing a butt too on the Akorn. Slow smoke with MH all purpose rub and when bone slides give it a couple of Hastings with Bone Sucking sauce.

It's Better When Cooked in the Backyard and Served on the Porch
A man just can't have to many toys..
Akorn smoker
Old 07-10-2017, 08:13 AM
Orycteropus Bbqensis

curious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To All
curious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To All

good video.

Couple things I do.
Leave the meat in the trays and cook it in the tray. Keeps a micro climate around the meat that prevents it drying out, and keeps all the juices and you don't have to piddle about with catching them below the grill. Keeps the bbq clean.
That looks like a chargriller.
What charcoal basket setup do you have ?

I always stick the thermometer in when the meat is cold and rubbed. It's a total non-issue.
That said I cook a little hotter than you - chunk of shoulder that size I'd have done in 5-6 hours. And I pack the trays.
Nothing better than putting spare pp in the freezer for a quick defrost and heat in the microwave

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head
Old 07-10-2017, 10:05 AM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
good video.

I always stick the thermometer in when the meat is cold and rubbed.
Why? You know its about 40F already

IF there is contamination on the meat surface it is POSSIBLE that you carry it inside. Thats the only reason.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:39 AM
<--- Me Li'l Sous Chef

HawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To All
HawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To All

Thermapen. No probes 4me.

~ P4 ~

There are good ships and wood ships,
The ships that sail the sea,
But the best ships are friendships,
And may they always be.

http://www.hhsbbq.com
Old 07-10-2017, 12:06 PM
Pit Master

Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All
Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All

Looks Great Steve!!---

Nice Video too!

As for probing the meat:

Intact Muscle Rule:
The way I heard it from BBally (and he can correct me if my memory fails me):
If you inject a hunk of Whole Meat, or stick a probe in it too early (Before the outer 1/2" is up to 140), then you should treat the Whole meat as if it was Ground Meat.
Since it is no longer Intact Muscle you should get the whole thing, including the center from 40 to 140 in no longer than 4 hours (These numbers are rounded off).
You can also get the outer surface to 140, and then sterilize your Temp probe, and put it in to center at that time.
Some say 1 hour is long enough, but that depends on the Smoker Temp you're using. Some probe it at 2 hours, but I usually wait until 3 hours, because since I'm probably going to go for 9 hours or more, what's the big hurry to probe it before 3 hours?

So my theory is If you must inject the roast, make sure you use a high enough Temp to get it to 140 in 4 hours.
And if you don't inject, just wait at least 2 hours before probing the Roast.

Bear
Old 07-10-2017, 02:47 PM
Hero, Legend & Good Guy

The Great White North Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherThe Great White North Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherThe Great White North Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherThe Great White North Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherThe Great White North Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherThe Great White North Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherThe Great White North Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacher

Very nice Vid, Steve, looks like you had a great session.

I've heard varying facets of the "when to probe" as well as the "where to probe" debate over the years. My probe does get placed from the get go and I have never had an issue or concern about contamination, and I am up into the dozens as far as shoulders & hams go. I will share what I do to sterilize my thermometer probes which gives me that peace of mind.

First and foremost I make certain they have been completely (make that overly) washed of all stuck on bits and smoke discoloration and thoroughly dried after use & before storing them. They do not sit loose in a drawer either, they have their own tightly sealing tupper they stay in when not in use.

Secondly I rewash, rinse and then soak in a 10% bleach solution for at least 10 minutes before my final step prior to insertion.

Lastly, the thermometer stem or probe gets AT MINIMUM a 3 minute bath in a pot of water at a rolling boil, and then in one complete motion after pulling it out of the pot it goes into the meat AND STAYS THERE for the entire smoke or cook time.

Perhaps it seems a touch AR to some, but no one has gotten ill from my finished product yet.

Drinking is like playing golf... you'd best be prepared to play every club in your bag.

Steve the Bartender

There are no bad briskets... only poorly executed ones.

Steve the Food Man

Old 07-10-2017, 05:55 PM
Pit Master

Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All
Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great White North View Post

I've heard varying facets of the "when to probe" as well as the "where to probe" debate over the years. My probe does get placed from the get go and I have never had an issue or concern about contamination, and I am up into the dozens as far as shoulders & hams go. I will share what I do to sterilize my thermometer probes which gives me that peace of mind.

First and foremost I make certain they have been completely (make that overly) washed of all stuck on bits and smoke discoloration and thoroughly dried after use & before storing them. They do not sit loose in a drawer either, they have their own tightly sealing tupper they stay in when not in use.

Secondly I rewash, rinse and then soak in a 10% bleach solution for at least 10 minutes before my final step prior to insertion.

Lastly, the thermometer stem or probe gets AT MINIMUM a 3 minute bath in a pot of water at a rolling boil, and then in one complete motion after pulling it out of the pot it goes into the meat AND STAYS THERE for the entire smoke or cook time.

Perhaps it seems a touch AR to some, but no one has gotten ill from my finished product yet.

Yup---You've been lucky.
You can wash your probe 1,000 times, and wipe it with an alcohol wipe (like I do), and when you stick it in that Butt that is loaded with bacteria on the outside, you'll be pushing the bacteria right into the meat.
These aren't orders---Just Tips & Warnings.

Bear
Old 07-11-2017, 04:48 PM
Smoked-Meat Newbie

Steve J Is Becoming A Smoke GuruSteve J Is Becoming A Smoke GuruSteve J Is Becoming A Smoke GuruSteve J Is Becoming A Smoke GuruSteve J Is Becoming A Smoke GuruSteve J Is Becoming A Smoke GuruSteve J Is Becoming A Smoke GuruSteve J Is Becoming A Smoke GuruSteve J Is Becoming A Smoke GuruSteve J Is Becoming A Smoke GuruSteve J Is Becoming A Smoke Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishawn View Post
Looks good!

There are some debates on here, and other places, regarding inserting a probe into your meatt when starting your cook, risking possible contamination? I am not up on all the data for this, and am just posting as a heads up for your consideration. I have done it in the past, butt dont anymore. Maybe some of the food safety gurus can chime in on this?

Smoke on Steve
Thanks for the heads-up. I make sure it's clean before use.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:51 PM
Smoked-Meat Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great White North View Post

Those are some great tips. I don't think any of it is going overboard, especially when you consider that 1) contaminating meat can actually kill someone, and 2) no one hasn't complained or gotten sick from your food. Sounds like some great tips. I think I may start using some of them. Thanks for checking out the video.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > The BBQ Tube

Tags
bbq, pulled pork, smoked pork shoulder