Smoked-Meat Forums

Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > 911 Urgent Situations

911 Urgent Situations Emergency Forum , Need Help Fast ? Post Here!!!

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Active Threads
0 Casings, seasonings cheese and the like
Last Post: Blinginpse
Posted On: 12-15-2017
Replies: 51
Views: 624
0 Safeway / Albertsons Ribeye Sale
Last Post: driedstick
Replies: 5
Views: 78
0 He said "you can't make bacon like"
Last Post: Uncle Sauce
Replies: 17
Views: 170
0 SV Reheating my Prime Rib
Last Post: rexster314
Replies: 12
Views: 179
0 Upgrading meat slicer
Last Post: rexster314
Replies: 38
Views: 327
More...
Mini Stats
Members 7,466 Entries 1
Members Entries
Threads 42,986 Reviews 1
Threads Reviews
Posts 644,918 Polls 37
Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...

Old 07-29-2017, 10:57 PM
Rub Mixer

strength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To All
strength_and_power Is  A Name Known To All
Default Canadian Bacon cure question

So on 7/18 I prepped some boneless pork loins for Canadian Bacon. Trimmed fat, rinsed, dried, weighed. 1 TBS TQ and 2 TBS brown sugar per pound. TQ applied first and rubbed in then brown sugar. Used a shallow pan and "mopped" the pan with the meat to pick up any stray cure. Bagged and in fridge. Today is day 11. Rinsing and soaking tonight prior to seasoning. Smoking tomorrow. Had a piece where the exterior coloring is a bit dark. I know there is some variance in the amount of liquid released during the curing process. Any thoughts on the pics below?
The sell/freeze by date on the cryo bag was 7/23
Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 07-30-2017, 12:40 AM
TBS Sniffer

barleypop Is  A Name Known To All
barleypop Is  A Name Known To Allbarleypop Is  A Name Known To Allbarleypop Is  A Name Known To Allbarleypop Is  A Name Known To Allbarleypop Is  A Name Known To Allbarleypop Is  A Name Known To Allbarleypop Is  A Name Known To Allbarleypop Is  A Name Known To All

I'm a #1 or #2 cure person personally, Hope ya didn't cure in a metal container. Meat against meat will make them off colored places, don't fret. I say smoke them. Didn't read the bagged part, my BAd!

Last edited by barleypop; 07-30-2017 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Can't read sometimes.
Old 07-30-2017, 12:47 AM
Pit Master

BYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To All
BYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To All

Why did you put the cure and sugar on in different applications rather than mixing the 2 together then applying the mixture? Could have missed the one side when rubbing the TQ on., but looks more like maybe you didn't get all or most of the air out of the bag before sealing the bag and putting it in the fridge. From there the pics look as though the meat(bag) wasn't turned everyday. Looks like it was put in the fridge and just let set for the entire or most of the curing time.

You should have followed this sticky, works every time for me.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3691
Old 07-30-2017, 09:32 AM
Rub Mixer

strength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by barleypop View Post
I'm a #1 or #2 cure person personally, Hope ya didn't cure in a metal container. Meat against meat will make them off colored places, don't fret. I say smoke them. Didn't read the bagged part, my BAd!

It was a metal baking pan I had the meat sitting in when I applied the TQ and the brown sugar. Meat was then placed in a ziplock and ultimately the fridge

Old 07-30-2017, 09:47 AM
Rub Mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYBBQ View Post
Why did you put the cure and sugar on in different applications rather than mixing the 2 together then applying the mixture? Could have missed the one side when rubbing the TQ on., but looks more like maybe you didn't get all or most of the air out of the bag before sealing the bag and putting it in the fridge. From there the pics look as though the meat(bag) wasn't turned everyday. Looks like it was put in the fridge and just let set for the entire or most of the curing time.

You should have followed this sticky, works every time for me.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3691

I followed Bear Carver's post on Canadian Bacon. He says to apply cure first then the brown sugar. When applying the cure, I would sprinkle some on the meat and rub it it, flip and repeated the process. Where the cure had been rubbed in, the meat would look a little chalky. I would sprinkle more of the measured cure on the wetter looking areas until the entire piece looked uniform if that makes sense? I would then do the same process with the brown sugar.
I did flip the meat during the curing process. I may have missed 1-2 days or flipped in evening instead of morning due to having too much stuff going on but it definitely did not just sit during curing. Fridge had been replaced 2 weeks prior and temp set to 37 degrees as verified by my Thermapen.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:25 AM
Pit Master

BYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To All
BYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To All

I was going by the second pic. By the color. It has the look of meat that didn't get turned. The lighter color(red) looks like it sat on that spot, the rest turned brown(exposed to air & liquid)

Hard to tell too much by looking at pics.

I did look at his step by step(2 of them) and they called for 2 tsp(teaspoons) of brown sugar, not 2 TBP(tablespoons). Don't know if that would have anything to do with it. Maybe make it real sweet.

"Weigh proper amount of Tender Quick for each piece of Pork Loinó1/2 ounce (One TBS) per pound. Rub TQ on first, trying to get it distributed evenly all over the piece of meat it was measured for. Rub on about 2 tsp of Brown Sugar per pound of meat, and put the piece of meat in the bag."

This is a WAG question. By chance when you flipped the bag, could the meat have rolled and ended up setting in the same position.
Old 07-30-2017, 11:25 AM
Pit Master

Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All
Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by strength_and_power View Post

That bright Pink in this Pic is usually what you get when the meat is against another piece of meat. That is also the color of the inside.
As long as it doesn't smell bad I'm sure it's fine, because that color difference means nothing. The amount of sugar won't change the color, and as long as you're between 1 tsp & 1 TBS of sugar per pound, it will be fine.

I always coat the whole thing with TQ first, so I know it gets all over the meat.
If you mix it with sugar or other things first, if it's not completely mixed when you put it on, the TQ might be on one end, and the rest of the stuff on the other end.
It will usually spread out once it becomes a liquid, but I still do it that way to be sure.

You should be good to go.

Bear
Old 07-30-2017, 12:35 PM
Pit Master

I already know I'm wrong to say anything, but....

"That bright Pink in this Pic is usually what you get when the meat is against another piece of meat."

Only one piece of meat. So it had to set against something long enough to cause it. Side or bottom of pan to cause it.

"As long as it doesn't smell bad I'm sure it's fine, because that color difference means nothing. The amount of sugar won't change the color, and as long as you're between 1 tsp & 1 TBS of sugar per pound, it will be fine."

I agree with the smell part, but the amount of sugar can cause a color difference. Light or dark brown sugar and he used 2 TBS per pound.

I'm sorry but to me it looks like it didn't cure right. Something caused that spot to not cure the same as the rest of that piece of meat.

But for maybe $4 worth of meat, I wouldn't chance it. JWWFM-YMMV
Old 07-30-2017, 01:40 PM
Pit Master

nickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To All
nickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To All

It looks like the pink is when the piece was cut.

Sounds like time and temp is on course. I would roll with it.

Bears step by step is a good guide.
Old 07-30-2017, 02:11 PM
Rub Mixer

To clarify, the first pic with the darker side is the outside. The second pic is the same piece flipped over.

Old 07-30-2017, 02:40 PM
Pit Master

Quote:
To clarify, the first pic with the darker side is the outside. The second pic is the same piece flipped over.

This is what I've been saying from the start about the pics and that it should have been flipped over properly several times during the curing time to avoid this. JMHO

Not saying Bear's guide is not good.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:21 PM
Pit Master

Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All
Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYBBQ View Post
I already know I'm wrong to say anything, but....

"That bright Pink in this Pic is usually what you get when the meat is against another piece of meat."

Only one piece of meat. So it had to set against something long enough to cause it. Side or bottom of pan to cause it.

"As long as it doesn't smell bad I'm sure it's fine, because that color difference means nothing. The amount of sugar won't change the color, and as long as you're between 1 tsp & 1 TBS of sugar per pound, it will be fine."

I agree with the smell part, but the amount of sugar can cause a color difference. Light or dark brown sugar and he used 2 TBS per pound.

I'm sorry but to me it looks like it didn't cure right. Something caused that spot to not cure the same as the rest of that piece of meat.

But for maybe $4 worth of meat, I wouldn't chance it. JWWFM-YMMV

First off---You aren't wrong to say anything.
I would agree that if it's the only piece in the bag, being against the side of the bag a long time could cause the bright pink, as if it was against another piece.

As for the sugar, I have used between 1 tsp and 1 TBS, and never saw a difference in color, but I never tried 2 TBS per pound, so you could be right on that too.

However I can show you those same colors in various cured meats of mine, and like I said, if it doesn't smell bad I'd go with it. Air getting to it can make varying colors on the surfaces. The way to tell if it's cured all the way is to cut it open & see if it's Pink all the way to center. It can't be cured in the center without the surface being cured. When mine are done, the inside is usually the only part that is Pink (Cured). Being pink is Not a sign of not being cured.

Bear
Old 07-30-2017, 06:34 PM
Barque Berner

Mark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To All
Mark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To All

The discolored areas, are they green? It's kinda hard to tell from the pics.

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!
Old 07-30-2017, 09:00 PM
Rub Mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
The discolored areas, are they green? It's kinda hard to tell from the pics.

No green. That would have gotten the fast trip to the trash

Old 07-30-2017, 09:04 PM
Barque Berner

Mark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To All
Mark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
No green. That would have gotten the fast trip to the trash

Prolly oxidation.

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!
Old 07-30-2017, 09:12 PM
Rub Mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post
First off---You aren't wrong to say anything.

I would agree that if it's the only piece in the bag, being against the side of the bag a long time could cause the bright pink, as if it was against another piece.

As for the sugar, I have used between 1 tsp and 1 TBS, and never saw a difference in color, but I never tried 2 TBS per pound, so you could be right on that too.

However I can show you those same colors in various cured meats of mine, and like I said, if it doesn't smell bad I'd go with it. Air getting to it can make varying colors on the surfaces. The way to tell if it's cured all the way is to cut it open & see if it's Pink all the way to center. It can't be cured in the center without the surface being cured. When mine are done, the inside is usually the only part that is Pink (Cured). Being pink is Not a sign of not being cured.

Bear

Not sure where I got the 2 TBS per pound on the brown sugar, brain fart on my end. Guess I will be the test dummy.
When I cure salmon, I will vac seal the bags. Is there any benefit to vac sealing CB instead of using ziplock? Heck, bag bags may actually be cheaper.
I saw one another post where the ingredients were measured in grams to make it more scalable. That was in regards to rubs but would there be any benefit when using TQ? I have a digital scale so changing between units is as easy as pressing a button.
I appreciate everybody chiming in, knowledge is king

Old 07-30-2017, 09:23 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Yes..by weight is ALWAYS preferred. Somewhere I, and perhaps others..have weighed out X samples of TQ and averaged readings... Hmm 12g pops into my mind..but go ahead..weigh out 10 and average. 6.25g for Cure #1 I believe is correct. If using cure 1 tho..you MUST mix with other ingredients first. TQ not required..but why make the job difficult? Mix it all up and distribute amount evenly.

Nothing wrong with that meat sir..Enjoy!
Old 07-30-2017, 10:07 PM
Pit Master

Quote:
Not sure where I got the 2 TBS per pound on the brown sugar, brain fart on my end. Guess I will be the test dummy.
When I cure salmon, I will vac seal the bags. Is there any benefit to vac sealing CB instead of using ziplock? Heck, bag bags may actually be cheaper.
I saw one another post where the ingredients were measured in grams to make it more scalable. That was in regards to rubs but would there be any benefit when using TQ? I have a digital scale so changing between units is as easy as pressing a button.
I appreciate everybody chiming in, knowledge is king

I explained why I apply the TQ alone---To make sure I get the whole piece covered & not have Sugar on one end & TQ on the other. (You wouldn't know it, because on a wet piece of meat Sugar looks the same as TQ) Seems hard for some to understand--Seems simple to me!!!

I'll tell you what happened:
As TQ moves into the meat, it turns it to a Pink/Red color. As it continues to move to the center, the outside loses it's Pink color as the center gets red. If the outside is against another piece of meat, or laying against the bottom or a side, those things will keep the air from getting to it, so it doesn't lose it's Pink/Red in those places. Being against something didn't keep your meat from curing---It just kept it from losing it's bright Pink color in that area, after curing.
None of the outside parts of my Cured meats are Pink when I'm done---Only the inside is Pink/Red.

If you had meat in that bag without curing it, it wouldn't have turned Pink/Red.

So like I said, since you used the right amount of cure for 11 days, there is nothing wrong with it. The only way it would be a problem is if you cut it in half & the interior was brown, instead of Pink/Red.

BTW: I have a Digital scale, but I don't always use it when using TQ. However it's actually easier to do partial ounces with a scale than to do partial TBS with a spoon.

Also: In answer to your other question---Vac Sealing won't hurt anything, but I never did because it's not needed---Zips are Fine & work Great.

Bear

Last edited by Bearcarver; 07-31-2017 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:51 PM
Pit Master

nickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To All
nickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richtee View Post
Yes..by weight is ALWAYS preferred. Somewhere I, and perhaps others..have weighed out X samples of TQ and averaged readings... Hmm 12g pops into my mind..but go ahead..weigh out 10 and average. 6.25g for Cure #1 I believe is correct. If using cure 1 tho..you MUST mix with other ingredients first. TQ not required..but why make the job difficult? Mix it all up and distribute amount evenly.

Nothing wrong with that meat sir..Enjoy!
x2 and with Bear.....nothing wrong just different ways to hit a ball out of the park.

I do weigh things out, more for constancy from batch to batch than anything. I do vac pak if possible. But it is just another tool. Not really needed but it works good. I do believe speeds up the cure time but do not have any facts to back it up so it is IMHO.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > 911 Urgent Situations