Smoked-Meat Forums

Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > 911 Urgent Situations

911 Urgent Situations Emergency Forum , Need Help Fast ? Post Here!!!

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Active Threads
0 SWBEFPB.......southw estern........burnt. .....ends. ....from.......
Last Post: DanMcG
Posted On: 02-22-2018
Replies: 4
Views: 46
0 Lamb Chops n Breakfast
Last Post: THE ICEMAN
Replies: 21
Views: 289
9 Hey look what I found...
Last Post: THE ICEMAN
Replies: 27
Views: 316
0 DDave's Reverse Flow Build
Last Post: Mark R
Posted On: 02-21-2018
Replies: 81
Views: 1,669
0 Brick built gas smoker
Last Post: Slanted88
Posted On: 02-21-2018
Replies: 13
Views: 168
More...
Mini Stats
Members 7,577 Entries 1
Members Entries
Threads 43,363 Reviews 1
Threads Reviews
Posts 651,590 Polls 37
Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...

Old 08-19-2017, 08:52 PM
Fire Starter

christntdynomite Is Just Starting Out
Default All pink ribs

This is my third rack of ribs to smoke on my offset. All three have come out pink through out. I was thinking they should be white with a pink ring. Am I not cooking them long enough? Am I adding too much smoke? They are getting up to temp before I pull them. The color just seems off.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 08-19-2017, 08:54 PM
Cookin with fire

SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All
SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All

Hard to tell without a pic to look at...

But...If the ribs are done and edible...What's the worry...
Old 08-19-2017, 09:01 PM
Pit Master

nickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To All
nickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To All

I would guess that they may be "enhanced" Posting a picture of the package and the ribs would help.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:01 PM
Fire Starter

Just concerned I was pulling them too soon. I know its hard to get accurate temp read on ribs. I wrapped them in foil and put them back on.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:14 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

No one temps ribs. Well..OK..maybe some do. But..post a pict. And..what’s yer rub? Maybe ya cured them? Hammy?
Old 08-19-2017, 09:23 PM
Cookin with fire

SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All
SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richtee View Post
No one temps ribs. Well..OK..maybe some do. But..post a pict. And..what’s yer rub? Maybe ya cured them? Hammy?
Good point
Old 08-19-2017, 09:42 PM
Fire Starter

Stirling Knows How To Maintain A Pit

How was the bite and flavor?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 08-19-2017, 10:03 PM
<--- my mobile office

Ryan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To All
Ryan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To All

They baby backs? They can sometimes get pink all the way threw.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:55 PM
Pit Masters Assistant

Jailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To All
Jailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To All

I've had ribs with little meat get pink all the way through. If you cooked them long enough I wouldn't worry about it. It's basically a smoke ring all the way through.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:57 PM
Fire Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelmore View Post
I would guess that they may be "enhanced" Posting a picture of the package and the ribs would help.
Smith field st Louis,I used an all American rib rub from wall mart.I never took a pic just ate them. I'll get a pic next run all three came out like this. Lol

Old 08-20-2017, 12:02 AM
Fire Starter

Quote:
I'm not sure ,maybe cured.I'll post some pics on the next cook.Maybe yiubguys can help me get what I'm looking for.

Old 08-20-2017, 12:05 AM
Fire Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailer View Post
I've had ribs with little meat get pink all the way through. If you cooked them long enough I wouldn't worry about it. It's basically a smoke ring all the way through.
I think it was just like a ring all the way through possible. Idk I'll document better next run an get some pics up.maybe the pros can help a rocky out

Old 08-20-2017, 07:20 AM
Orycteropus Bbqensis

curious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To All
curious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To All

depends on how you're making the smoke and how much smoke.
the curing agent is created by wood not being thoroughly combusted. So if the wood is wet or not hot enough - you'll get a larger cure/smoke ring.

You'll also be generating some fairly unpleasant compounds as well.
So check the wood and combustion temps/method.

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head
Old 08-20-2017, 09:30 AM
Tailgater

HornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To All
HornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To All
Default All pink ribs

I recently cooked some racks of Smithfields baby back ribs from Walmart for a graduation party.

Your right, the baby backs on the top do have a pink tinge compared to the longer spare ribs on the bottom. You know they're nice and done when they start pulling back from the bone...

So now I have a question for the experts... I usually smoke my briskets & ribs with Oak or Pecan. Lately when I pull the briskets off to finish in the oven I've been switching to some Apple wood I recently picked up for the ribs. Notice the dark black bark on the ribs in the top left of the pan. I hope this is normal for Apple wood as I never had that dark a bark when I smoked the ribs with Oak or Pecan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by HornedToad; 08-20-2017 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:31 AM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Hmm almost looks like yer temps crept up some... Or..ya got a hot spot? apple’s not all that heavy a smoke. Properly burnt anyway.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:44 AM
Tailgater

HornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To All
HornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To AllHornedToad Is  A Name Known To All
Default All pink ribs

Quote:
Hmm almost looks like yer temps crept up some... Or..ya got a hot spot? apple’s not all that heavy a smoke. Properly burnt anyway.

Those baby backs were on the far side top rack of my reverse follow away from the hot spot and under the smoke stacks. It seems every time I use the Apple I get a really dark almost black bark. I've also noticed the Apple burns really hot and takes less wood to hold temp.

I was kinda hoping it was the wood and not my cooking skills... but I have been known to char a thing or two.

Last edited by HornedToad; 08-20-2017 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:07 AM
Pit Master

BYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To All
BYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To All

Is the apple wood seasoned and dry? It does appear as if something is amiss. Do you lay your splits on top of the firebox to make sure they are warm and dry before you put them in the fire box(helps with a cleaner burn)?
It does look like the temp may have gotten away from you at some point and got a hot spot in your cooker.

Pull back of meat is not a good or true indicator of doneness of ribs. I have seen ribs that were done with no pullback and others that had a lot of pullback and were not done.

Last edited by BYBBQ; 08-20-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:23 AM
Tailgater

The Apple seems well seasoned by the splits in the end of the logs and I've learned my lesson the hard way about smoking with wet wood.

That Apple has crystallized sap all over it and I was thinking this sugar was causing the dark char???

Old 08-20-2017, 11:26 AM
Tailgater

Didn't mean to hijack your thread dynamite, but I just happen to have some pics on my camera roll of the Smithfield ribs you were takin about.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > 911 Urgent Situations