Smoked-Meat Forums

Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > 911 Urgent Situations

911 Urgent Situations Emergency Forum , Need Help Fast ? Post Here!!!

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Active Threads
0 Poor Man's amazin smoker
Last Post: nickelmore
Posted On: 12-13-2017
Replies: 11
Views: 157
6 Cinnamon Roll Shooters...
Last Post: THE ICEMAN
Replies: 5
Views: 151
0 Thin Blade Knives?
Last Post: nickelmore
Replies: 9
Views: 53
0 Searing meat
Last Post: Fishawn
Replies: 1
Views: 19
0 Sanitizing equipment
Last Post: Fishawn
Replies: 23
Views: 369
More...
Mini Stats
Members 7,462 Entries 1
Members Entries
Threads 42,975 Reviews 1
Threads Reviews
Posts 644,723 Polls 37
Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...

Old 11-04-2017, 09:08 AM
Smoked-Meat Newbie

aperez49 Is Just Starting Out
Default Smoker broke overnight

Hi everyone this might be first post but would appreciate some help. I was doing a shoulder overnight and at 2am it was up over 170 already. When I woke up 830 temp was down to 98. Is it safe to finish cooking in oven? Seems my heating element broke. Really appreciate any and all help.

Thanks!

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 11-04-2017, 09:47 AM
Lake & BBQ Baby!!

barkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To All
barkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To All

When in doubt toss it out....

If it were me, and I was just feeding myself, I would cook it in the oven and take a chance.... if I were going to feed to others I would toss...

You did get it above 165 so that killed everything.. I just don't know how long it was below 140 that would have me worried.

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
Yoder YS640
Weber Genesis
Weber 18.5" Kettle
Weber Performer
Misfit # 1899

Old 11-04-2017, 10:06 AM
Smoked-Meat Newbie

aperez49 Is Just Starting Out

That’s kind of my thought too. I’m cooking it in the oven but will probably just chuck it. Sucks. Thanks though.
Old 11-04-2017, 02:32 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

What’s yer weather like? Cold? Ehh... still risky somewhat.

Sorry man.
Old 11-04-2017, 02:33 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Oh..and welcome to Smoked-Meat :{)
Old 11-04-2017, 04:01 PM
Sausage Slinger

dward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To All
dward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To All

Well, if the meat was over 170* internal, it was cooked through. The question would relate to what happened after that point. If you pop it in the oven to finish as pulled pork at 195* to 205*, any surface bacteria will also be killed (again). I seriously doubt there will be a problem. If anything, any issue will likely relate to the texture of the meat (but that is a guess).

Basically it was no different than a fully cooked pork roast for slicing when you last checked the temp.

I love coming home. My back porch smells just like a BBQ joint.....

Old 11-04-2017, 04:40 PM
<--- my mobile office

Ryan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To All
Ryan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To All

Should be fine, temp an average of 11 degrees an hour so it was under 140 for slightly less than 4 hours. I would've have fridged it, reheated later and sliced.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:50 PM
Learning from the Best

DDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To All
DDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperez49 View Post
That’s kind of my thought too. I’m cooking it in the oven but will probably just chuck it. Sucks. Thanks though.
You made the right call.

Chance are you would have been fine. But then chances are also you might have turned into a hydro powered stool rocket and spent a fun day on the commode.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CoolingReheating.jpg (53.9 KB, 113 views)
Weber Performer
Blue Thermapen
Auber Smoker Controller
Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88

-

"All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010
Old 11-04-2017, 08:04 PM
Meat Mopper

Spivitz Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodSpivitz Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodSpivitz Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodSpivitz Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodSpivitz Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodSpivitz Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodSpivitz Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodSpivitz Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodSpivitz Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodSpivitz Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodSpivitz Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodSpivitz Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodSpivitz Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodSpivitz Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God

Weak Man, sorry
Old 11-04-2017, 08:42 PM
Cookin with fire

SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All
SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All

To me...And maybe to me alone...

I can't imagine putting meat in a smoker of any kind and going to sleep...
That has bad news written all over it...

BBQ is a food of love and should be treated that way...
Old 11-04-2017, 09:34 PM
Pit Master

nickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To All
nickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
To me...And maybe to me alone...

I can't imagine putting meat in a smoker of any kind and going to sleep...
That has bad news written all over it...

BBQ is a food of love and should be treated that way...
I am in your camp,,,,but have been known to nod off a few times.....I learned a very memorable lesson that night.....don't hold your beer.

But with all the new gadgets out there I may try a set it and forget it for a few hours.

There are a number of monitors that you can set a low temp alarm for just this purpose.

I am testing a WiFi one from Tappacue. I can set it and check from my phone. I figure if something would happen I can call the wife to tell her to call fire department or turn on the oven....
Old 11-05-2017, 12:57 PM
Fishawn Wannabie

Doug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDoug S. Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDave View Post
You made the right call.
Chance are you would have been fine. But then chances are also you might have turned into a hydro powered stool rocket and spent a fun day on the commode.
Ouch I'd chuck it also
Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
Weber 18.5" Kettle
Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
Weber Smokey Joe
Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
The Vortex
Old 11-06-2017, 12:45 PM
The Mad Hunky!

I agree... perhaps this could have been handled a little more “gently”. But I know Dave pretty well..and..well, he’s just a fact based kinda guy. It’s not personal..he works best with known quantities IMO. Which..in this arena, is of paramount importance. Again..altho I DO know most of the mitigating factors here and COULD make a SWAG... I will not. I’m a chicken

And sure..we do NOT typically know if our meat has been compromised. Granted it is a SMALL risk..even if so..assuming good hygiene practices etc. To me..that’s a FAIR assumption. NOT a guarantee. We ALL seen the number of recalls, etc. that happens industry wide on a regular basis.

And yeah..I’d have liked to seen the answer to the “cold” question..but in hindsight..there’s just too much UNKNOWN here. I mean the mass of the smoker/grate combo would matter. Ugh... I don’t need a headache

PS: Your so called “dumb hicks” pretty much supported, and continue to support all the “brainiacs” we have. Many times using wit, guile and experience..ALL of which..overall..are the best teachers when the rubber “meats” the road ;{)

An anecdote... as a young shaver I was in the local hardware store buying BB’s for my Red Rider. Farmer in front of me bought some washers. The clerk said $$2.75, and the farmer says “Damn..next time I’m just gonna drill some holes in a few quarters!”

I will never forget that “dumb hick” Mr. Buford Clark. He taught me alot.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:48 PM
Pit Master

bwerth42 Is  A Name Known To Allbwerth42 Is  A Name Known To Allbwerth42 Is  A Name Known To All
bwerth42 Is  A Name Known To Allbwerth42 Is  A Name Known To Allbwerth42 Is  A Name Known To Allbwerth42 Is  A Name Known To Allbwerth42 Is  A Name Known To Allbwerth42 Is  A Name Known To Allbwerth42 Is  A Name Known To Allbwerth42 Is  A Name Known To Allbwerth42 Is  A Name Known To Allbwerth42 Is  A Name Known To Allbwerth42 Is  A Name Known To Allbwerth42 Is  A Name Known To Allbwerth42 Is  A Name Known To Allbwerth42 Is  A Name Known To Allbwerth42 Is  A Name Known To Allbwerth42 Is  A Name Known To Allbwerth42 Is  A Name Known To Allbwerth42 Is  A Name Known To Allbwerth42 Is  A Name Known To Allbwerth42 Is  A Name Known To Allbwerth42 Is  A Name Known To Allbwerth42 Is  A Name Known To Allbwerth42 Is  A Name Known To All

Don't go away, Ryan! Us dumb country hicks need to stick together!

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

Old 11-06-2017, 03:04 PM
Orycteropus Bbqensis

curious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To All
curious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To All

The meat was cooked and smoked - so the outside inch or so is also cured - how is this any worse than shoving it in a cooler for a few hours ?
And given its sterile and in a sterile environment - where are you getting bacteria from to make you ill ?

Got to admit sometimes you guys just plain don't make any sense.
there's food safety and then there's scientific fact. Sometimes round here never the twain shall meet.

The so called 'danger zone' (which doesn't apparently apply to sous vide) does not apply in this case.

The meat is cooked, so danger zone no longer applicable.
meat is smoked, so no surface bacteria of any consequence.
meat is in a smoker that has been hot enough to kill most bacteria.
Oh yeah and the interior surface of most smokers is toxic to just about anything.
Where is the issue ?

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head
Old 11-06-2017, 06:47 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
Where is the issue ?
You drive on the wrong side of the road for starters.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:17 AM
<--- my mobile office

Ryan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To All
Ryan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To All

I just want to add, we all made assumptions here and yes it's correct to err on the side of safety. However we as a forum didn't have all the info to help make an educated guess. We have to make sure we know a bit more before just tossing a piece of meat. Like I said in a post I deleted, the animal gave it's life to be on our dinner table, let's do it justice. Ambient temperature in my mind was the missing info here. Imagine if he tossed the meat and we found out ambient temperature was 20 degrees (we're having that here at night now) I'd feel sick if that piece of meat was tossed cause in those temps it was more than likely fine to eat. I told Dave last night I feel an experiment coming. When things slow down I'll be taking a butt to 170 and shut the smoker off. I'm curious to see at what rate the temperature drops.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:59 PM
Orycteropus Bbqensis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richtee View Post
You drive on the wrong side of the road for starters.
As I have mentioned in the past - cars were invented here - so therefore the correct side is the left. After all it keeps your sword arm free :-)

But more to the point - the meat was fine.

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head
Old 11-07-2017, 03:12 PM
🌵

THE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To All
THE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To All
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
As I have mentioned in the past - cars were invented here - so therefore the correct side is the left. After all it keeps your sword arm free :-)

But more to the point - the meat was fine.
Really? While it is arguable as to the definitive origins, it is generally accepted that Karl Benz produced the first... https://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/auto.html
It seems to me he was German & it also seems to me that the Germans drive in the RIGHT side of the road. If you have information otherwise, please provide it, I enjoy learning of new things...

As for the original subject of this thread, please continue... I have learned much.
Weber Smokey Joe

Not to mention the occasional campfire

CHRISTMAS MAY BE A WEE BIT LATE...

NRA Patron Life Member

"We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards. Strong beer is the milk of the old."
-Martin Luther-

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > 911 Urgent Situations