No announcement yet.

Upgrading meat slicer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One more thing, if one of those three doesn't come with a sharpener, I wouldn't go over $250. Those are expensive. Hobart guy told me if they don't have one they're not worth much.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
      One more thing, if one of those three doesn't come with a sharpener, I wouldn't go over $250. Those are expensive. Hobart guy told me if they don't have one they're not worth much.

Ok yea I knew about the sharpener this one I got has worn out and I know I need to have it. Thanks for the reminder
      Though for sure.

Would you hold out for the 3 names mentioned or would u be scared to attempt the LEM?

Comment

What about:

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/ava.../177SL312.html

I don't have one but have heard a lot of good about it.

I picked up a Berkeley for 100.00, off of Craigslist, really like it but looked over 2 years before finding the right deal.

Or

http://shop.vacuumsealersunlimited.c...icer-19068.htm
        Last edited by TKOBBQ; 12-08-2017, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Ive never heard of them. Looks like a good unit

Comment

Originally posted by Blinginpse View Post
            They do look alike don't they. Quick glances shows LEM is good bit cheaper and comes with a automatic 5 year warranty rather than buying it extra for 57$ more.

You might want to look at the specs a bit closer. The one you linked is a 10" model whereas the one I have is a 12" model. The larger blade allows one to slice larger pieces of meat ( read bacon slabs as a prime example). Details my man, always a good idea to pay attention to the details.

You may look for a restaurant equipment supplier close to you as they often sell used pieces and would stand behind what they sell I would imagine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ok yea I knew about the sharpener this one I got has worn out and I know I need to have it. Thanks for the reminder
              Though for sure.

Would you hold out for the 3 names mentioned or would u be scared to attempt the LEM?

I guarantee LEM does not make that slicer. They buy a container of them from China and the manufacturer prints LEM on the box.

Quality wise, you get what you pay for like all things in life. You got to look at many factors, cost, amount of usage, warranty, parts availability etc and make an informed decision based on your needs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would hold out for a hobart 1612 It is gear driven parts are all over in the aftermarket world. Sharpener stones are available.

Work horses.

For what I see of your operation i would go commercial. A five year warranty is great until you have a bunch of guys standing around with a couple of hundred pounds of bacon and ham to slice and halfway through you find out you need it.

I also bet you need to foot the shipping bill to them.

What is the closest city to you? I stumble on stuff all the time that I think are deals if I was closer. I can put something on my watch list for you.

Hell if I was closer I would trade you out of some pork for the globe I am rebuilding.

What are you using for a grinder?

Welcome to Gilligans island......It is enjoying to have a member ask the right questions and has an eagerness to learn. That is how I stumbled on this place a few years back.....

Comment

What brand is your old one?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
                    What brand is your old one?
                    I forgot to ask him that.

And what is wrong with it? I have multiple resources for commercial parts.

Comment

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
                      I forgot to ask him that.

And what is wrong with it? I have multiple resources for commercial parts.

Sorry guys I just peeking in as I can. Old 1 is Hobart and the bearing has gone out on it

Comment

the lem will only slice 1mm thin.
                        That's actually pretty thick, Well the last thing I sliced up was a leg of parma ham, so 1mm would have been pretty thick for that.
                        Man was that hard going. Not only was the leg covered in a really slippery layer of cured fat, but the meat was really hard - well it would be.
                        Ended up carving/hacking it into biggish chunks that I sliced wafer thin.

And the thing about slicing very hard meat very thin, is that it takes bloody ages.
                        First time I've had the unit get hot to the touch.

I've had a graef slicer for about 5 years, brilliant bit of kit. Small lightweight unit that will slice over 9 inch long bacon, it'll chop through bone (not deliberately, but didn't slow it down any) really hard jerky, you name it.

In the us some of the chef's choice slicers are made by greaf - some aren't.

Things my slicer has that most of yours don't have.
                        Extra long sliding carriage, one button removal, button also locks it in place for storage.
                        One hand blade removal - takes a second to remove and replace. This makes cleanups a breeze.
                        Titanium nitride coated blade. Showing no wear after 5 years, and like I said, it's sliced through some pretty tough stuff.
                        Direct connect worm gears - gives better torque at lower wattages.
                        Internal cable storage.

weighs 7lb - not a misprint. There are a couple of threads from when I bought it around here somewhere.

I had a cheapo chinese one before and that couldn't slice marshmllow accurately.

Damn, make that 7 years ! :http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...ighlight=graef

And just to confirm that the original blade, even after 7 years with absolutely no sharpening, I still won't run my finger along the edge of the blade.
                        No sign of wear or bluntness.

I've even sliced freshly baked bread with it, only thing that doesn't squash the loaf.
                        Last edited by curious aardvark; 12-08-2017, 11:48 AM.
                        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Sorry guys I just peeking in as I can. Old 1 is Hobart and the bearing has gone out on it
                          Possible to get a picture of it? I would bet nicklemore would be able to tell you if parts are available if you're interested in fixing it, might be cheaper. Or we could possibly find one off eBay that has an issue and between the two have one good running unit.
                          sigpic

Comment

Get me the model number and which bearing (motor or blade)

Comment

I'll see what I can do. It was leaking grease and such out into the blade and getting my meat dirty. After taking it apart seems I remember the earring was busted. Looked around for bit couldn't find anything so gave up n was gonna just replace new

Comment

Take a look here
                                https://www.nbsparts.com/meat-grinders/
                                Mark
                                sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                                Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Working...
                                X