Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...

Old 08-30-2010, 12:17 PM
Orycteropus Bbqensis

curious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To All
curious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To All
Default Review of Graef Navis N1 Food slicer

You've never heard of graef slicers have you ?
Well neither had I untill a week or so ago.

Made the decision to invest some money in a slicer that would actually do what i wanted it too.
The 40 job from ebay, works - after a fashion. But never sliced even and hated slicing cooked meat (which is kinda what i want slicer for lol). It could do short slices of bacon.

Did a lot of research, read a lot of reviews and eventually decided to chance my arm on a german make, Graef. On the grounds that they've been making slicers for 60 odd years and the average german hausfrau & jager, doesn't put up with badly made junk
In europe germany is the byword for quality build and serious engineering.
Also I've yet to see anything but a 5 star review for ANY model graef. Plus they are compact units and storage space is limited.

There are a lot of models in the graef range. But the N1 has won design awards and seemed to fit my needs. ebay price: 189 ($290), bit steep. Amazon price 133 ($200) - SOLD

It arrived thursday.

The front.

The back - note the 'floating' design that lets you put your tray directly beneath the blade. Nothing should ever end up under the slicer itself.
Slices fall directly onto your tray, plate, cutting board etc

Is the blade sharp - oh yeah, also coated with titanium nitride, so won't need sharpening any time soon :-)

Lots of neat design ideas:-

Internal cable storage

One button pushes in to lock the carriage and pulls out to allow easy removal of the carriage.

Blade can be removed and replaced in a few seconds - with one hand.
Remove blade and cradle for easy cleaning in seconds.

The cradle slide well over for slicing things up to 9inches in width - and if you want to slice wider, just remove the cradle :-)

So how does it slice. Like a bloomin' dream !

I'd never have tried to slice bread on the old slicer, but this one works a treat.

Had a couple of pound chunk of my sweetcured honey roast ham.

Bloody brilliant :-)
Blade slid through cooked ham like a plasma torch through icecream.
Can't wait to make some decent width bacon

I love everything about this bit of kit. From the push button that lets you do one or 2 slices or locks on for continuous slicing, the the sheer ease it can be taken apart for wiping down.

In short, I'm pleased as punch, happy as a dog with two tails, chuffed to bits, or any other euphenism for happy as larry you care to mention

If you're looking for a slicer and you can get a graef - my advice: get one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cablestorage_301x600.jpg (18.9 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg cradlelocks_800x600.jpg (41.7 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg longcuttingwidth_800x453.jpg (36.3 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg slicesbread_543x600.jpg (32.0 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg slicesham_358x600.jpg (27.5 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg the back_741x600.jpg (26.9 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg the front_674x600.jpg (35.4 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg titaniumcoated blade_800x600.jpg (28.3 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg tray&blade easy toremove_398x600.jpg (21.4 KB, 150 views)

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 08-30-2010, 12:34 PM
Meat give me MEAT

lynsey123 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlynsey123 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlynsey123 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlynsey123 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlynsey123 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlynsey123 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlynsey123 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlynsey123 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlynsey123 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlynsey123 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlynsey123 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlynsey123 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlynsey123 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlynsey123 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Godlynsey123 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God

Boy that is one nice slicer, if I had that I would be happier than a two peckered Owl.

Member # 200

Old 08-30-2010, 12:35 PM
188 lbs. 232 lbs lost.

Gunslinger Is  A Name Known To AllGunslinger Is  A Name Known To AllGunslinger Is  A Name Known To All
Gunslinger Is  A Name Known To AllGunslinger Is  A Name Known To AllGunslinger Is  A Name Known To AllGunslinger Is  A Name Known To AllGunslinger Is  A Name Known To AllGunslinger Is  A Name Known To All

Looks like a quality slicer Alex. I'd have to learn German to purchase one (and the translator on iGoogle isn't that good), so I'll have to stick with me old Hobart.

Tom
Old 08-30-2010, 12:37 PM
miss ya gary....

chefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To All
chefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To All

looks pretty cool. how do you sharpen the blade when needed........i noticed it is sort of a stepped tooth.

it's all good my friend..........
Old 08-30-2010, 12:37 PM
Biltong King

Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All
Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All

Great Review Mate!.... Looks like a fancy bit of kit..... I Like it
Old 08-30-2010, 01:16 PM
Orycteropus Bbqensis

curious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To All
curious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To All

I'm not sure you do sharpen the blades.
The titanium nitride coating is just a shade shy of diamond hardness.

If it does need sharpening much I'll get one of these
But I have the same coating on a set of drill bits. Had them years and they'll drill through metal or wood - don't seem to get blunt and coating hasn't worn off.
So we'll see.

I guess in a couple of years when it eventually gets blunt - I'll either buy another blade or apply a few strokes of a super fine diamond file.

Oh yeah it comes with a manual in about 8 different languages (english is one tom :-) and a 2 year warranty - which extends to england.

Given the sheer variety and low cost of slicers in the states and the large number of shops you can go in to look at them. Finding quality kit isn't an issue over there.
Over here there just aren't placews you can go to see this kind if kit. And what you pay for what you get is ridiculous.

Now I've got a graef - when I finally get the food business up and running I'll definitely get a graef commercial model slicer.

But this little beauty will do me till then.

I've also sliced cheese and some cold beef with it :-)

Currently got 6lb and a 2.5 pound slicing sausage in the smoker (sat in the garden tending the smoker typing this) that's going to be real pleasure to slice :-)

Last edited by curious aardvark; 08-30-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:28 PM
<Worlds Strongest Button

Mikey Is  A Name Known To AllMikey Is  A Name Known To All
Mikey Is  A Name Known To AllMikey Is  A Name Known To AllMikey Is  A Name Known To AllMikey Is  A Name Known To AllMikey Is  A Name Known To All

Does Graef make a slicer that is 60 hertz which is suitable for use in the United States? Damn fine looking slicer!!

New Braunfels Bandera
New Braunfels Hondo
4-22 1/2" Weber Kettles
1-26" Weber Kettle
24"X72" Reverse Flow- Made in the U.S.A. by Me
Navy Corpsman-USMC '69-'73 Semper Fi
https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/
Old 08-30-2010, 02:01 PM
Orycteropus Bbqensis

dunno I'll look at the box. I find that most kit is dual voltage these days. I do know that graef sells as far as south africa.

Mine is 240 volt, 50hz only.

be a shame if they don't make us compatibe range. There are some nice slicers available over there. But this just so many neat little touches I think they'd sell even in the us market.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:14 PM
miss ya gary....

chefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To All
chefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
I'm not sure you do sharpen the blades.
The titanium nitride coating is just a shade shy of diamond hardness.

If it does need sharpening much I'll get one of these
that's what i was wondering, if they sold a sharpner........with that yer set to go.

it's all good my friend..........
Old 08-30-2010, 03:48 PM
Orycteropus Bbqensis

I still reckon it'll be some considerable time before it gets blunt. Titanium nitride is seriously hard stuff.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:10 PM
Pit Master

Zeeker Is  A Name Known To All
Zeeker Is  A Name Known To AllZeeker Is  A Name Known To AllZeeker Is  A Name Known To AllZeeker Is  A Name Known To AllZeeker Is  A Name Known To AllZeeker Is  A Name Known To AllZeeker Is  A Name Known To AllZeeker Is  A Name Known To All

That is just one beautiful slicer CA...Kudos on your purchase...
KCBS CBJ
Zeek
Old 08-30-2010, 04:12 PM
<Worlds Strongest Button

Mikey Is  A Name Known To AllMikey Is  A Name Known To All
Mikey Is  A Name Known To AllMikey Is  A Name Known To AllMikey Is  A Name Known To AllMikey Is  A Name Known To AllMikey Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
dunno I'll look at the box. I find that most kit is dual voltage these days. I do know that graef sells as far as south africa.

Mine is 240 volt, 50hz only.

be a shame if they don't make us compatibe range. There are some nice slicers available over there. But this just so many neat little touches I think they'd sell even in the us market.
Just checked on Amazon and it's not available here. What a shame as I'd cough up the bones for that unit.

New Braunfels Bandera
New Braunfels Hondo
4-22 1/2" Weber Kettles
1-26" Weber Kettle
24"X72" Reverse Flow- Made in the U.S.A. by Me
Navy Corpsman-USMC '69-'73 Semper Fi
https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Last edited by Mikey; 08-30-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:01 PM
Wannabe Smoker

MossyMO Is  A Name Known To AllMossyMO Is  A Name Known To AllMossyMO Is  A Name Known To AllMossyMO Is  A Name Known To AllMossyMO Is  A Name Known To All
MossyMO Is  A Name Known To AllMossyMO Is  A Name Known To AllMossyMO Is  A Name Known To All

Sounds like your happier than a tall dog in a meat locker CA !!! Nice looking slicer, I checked eBay for the US and no one is listing them for overseas shipping.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:30 PM
Barque Berner

Mark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To All
Mark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To All

I know you can buy the "commercial" Graef's here but it doesn't look like the "home use" variety is available.

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!
Old 08-30-2010, 08:10 PM
Keepin' on Smokin'

Bassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To All
Bassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To All

Nice score on the slicer, CA! Looks like a real quality unit.

Smoke Vault 24
Old 08-30-2010, 09:16 PM
In Memoriam

Scarbelly Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodScarbelly Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodScarbelly Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodScarbelly Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodScarbelly Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodScarbelly Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodScarbelly Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodScarbelly Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodScarbelly Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodScarbelly Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodScarbelly Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodScarbelly Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodScarbelly Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodScarbelly Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodScarbelly Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodScarbelly Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodScarbelly Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God

That is one sweet looking slicer - it should serve you well for a long time - nice score

Old 09-16-2010, 10:49 AM
Fire Starter

Kwakman99 Is Just Starting Out
Default Motor noise level

How's the noise level of the motor when using it? I've seen (or heard) the Waring Pro FS150 in action and holly cow that things is noisy. I know most of the cheaper slicers are noisier because of the lower build quality, I'm just trying to find something that is as quiet as possible. I've found the same slicer you have in the US but under the Chef's Choice label, go figure.

So if the motor isn't too noisy I'll be placing my order.

Thanks.

Newbie to forum.

Last edited by Kwakman99; 09-16-2010 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:09 AM
Orycteropus Bbqensis

If you could post the link to the chef's choice job, that would be great :-)

Noise wise - like I said in the email quieter than a food processor but noisier than a coffee machine
I'd say it was fairly quiet. But you can hear it. I've got to slice a slab of bacon up today I'll see about posting a short video clip for you :-)

ps. here's the link to the chef's choice models

Checking with the graef site I'd say all the models that say: 'made in germany' are graef. The models that just say 'imported' they're probably chinese.
They don't have the navis n1 - but they all seem to have similiar features and build quality.
Good prices too. Although none of them have the 150watt motor mine has. If I was going for one of those I'd probably pay the extra cash and get the 640

I looked at the 640 when i was pricing them up over here but it was more expensive and didn't seem to do anything the n1 didn't do (although I think the 640 tilts), and had a lower rated motor. That probably doesn't make any difference, but hey I paid less for more - that always works for me :-)
At the price from that link - I'd say you can't go far wrong :-)

Noise of slicer in operation.

On reflection i'd say it's probably as noisy as my food processor - which is a fairly quiet one lol radio isn't on very loud but the slicer definitely drowns it out.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by curious aardvark; 09-17-2010 at 07:10 AM.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:46 PM
Fire Starter

Kwakman99 Is Just Starting Out

CA - Cool! Thanks for the vid. I'll post the link but seeing how they only have 2 in stock I want to be certain that I get first pick if I decide to buy it.

Last question, do have to keep your hand on the "on" button to keep the blade working like in a pulse situation? If so, how do you find this setup?

Thanks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > The Tool Crib