Smoked-Meat Forums

Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Where To Buy It

Where To Buy It You Have A Great Place You Buy Your Smoking & Grilling Stuff. Feel Free To Share It Here.

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Active Threads
0 What's the Thermometer Eyebrow For?
Last Post: DDave
Posted On: 02-19-2018
Replies: 9
Views: 111
0 Hi there, folks.
Last Post: SmokinOutBack
Replies: 1
Views: 13
0 Newbie questions
Last Post: HawgHeaven
Replies: 4
Views: 35
0 Cooks from this weekend
Replies: 4
Views: 61
0 Instant Pot (Not For Smoking)
Replies: 24
Views: 371
More...
Mini Stats
Members 7,573 Entries 1
Members Entries
Threads 43,350 Reviews 1
Threads Reviews
Posts 651,301 Polls 37
Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...

Old 12-13-2017, 01:28 AM
Biltong King

Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All
Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All
Default Thin Blade Knives?

I have a nice mixed set of Wusthof and Henckels and a couple other filet knives and they are great, no complaints. BUT! I really like the Thin Blades of a set I have had for several years, called Kiwi. They were cheap, don't hold an edge very well, and are prone to "denting"or whatever you want to call it on the edges. Sounds like great gear right? Well, it's not very high quality, butt cuts certain stuff 2x faster/easier than some of me main gear.

Does anybody have any Thin Blade knives, moderately priced, that they use and would recommend? I like low maintenance, and prefer low to moderate cost. Shun ceramic is out, as I heard one of our members dropped it into the sink while hand washing and the blade broke. Looking for something that "thrives on neglect" Just me

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 12-13-2017, 01:41 AM
Wrap it in bacon

Blue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBlue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBlue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBlue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBlue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBlue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBlue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To All
Blue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBlue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBlue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBlue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBlue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBlue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBlue Dog BBQ Is  A Name Known To All

Here is my kit. The two on the right are thin blade knives. A six inch shun and a wusthof flexible. These are great knives. Razor sharp. A little pricey but are work horses.

Sent from my A573VC using Tapatalk

Weber 22.5 kettle
Smokin in the Smokies
Here's to swimmin with bowlegged women.
Jerry
Old 12-13-2017, 01:43 AM
Wrap it in bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dog BBQ View Post
Here is my kit. The two on the right are thin blade knives. A six inch shun and a wusthof flexible. These are great knives. Razor sharp. A little pricey but are work horses.

Here is a better picture.

Weber 22.5 kettle
Smokin in the Smokies
Jerry
Old 12-13-2017, 01:55 AM
Biltong King

Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All
Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:

Very nice!

Of the 2 thin blade knives on the right, which one would you choose, if you could only have 1 to use?

Just curious.

I have a few serrated edge Wusthof's that I use for either carving
Or/and bread cutting, etc.

I think a non serrated (straight) edge is what I am really after. That Shun looks nice
Old 12-13-2017, 02:01 AM
Wrap it in bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishawn View Post
Very nice!

Of the 2 thin blade knives on the right, which one would you choose, if you could only have 1 to use?

Just curious.

I have a few serrated edge Wusthof's that I use for either carving
Or/and bread cutting, etc.

I think a non serrated (straight) edge is what I am really after. That Shun looks nice
The shun for sure but the knife to the left of the steel is my favorite miyabi I grab it before any of the others.

Weber 22.5 kettle
Smokin in the Smokies
Jerry
Old 12-13-2017, 02:03 AM
Wrap it in bacon

Quote:
The shun for sure but the knife to the left of the steel is my favorite miyabi I grab it before any of the others.

The wusthof flexible is a very good fish fillet knife.

Weber 22.5 kettle
Smokin in the Smokies
Jerry
Old 12-13-2017, 02:23 AM
Biltong King

Quote:

Thanks! Is Miyabi the brand? Just starting to research.

Edit: Miyabi is the brand I see on Amazon... I can't afford that good of gear

Checking them oot though now..... maybe they make a butter knife I can justify buying
Old 12-13-2017, 02:33 AM
Wrap it in bacon

Quote:
Thanks! Is Miyabi the brand? Just starting to research.

Edit: Miyabi is the brand I see on Amazon... I can't afford that good of gear

Checking them oot though now..... maybe they make a butter knife I can justify buying
I waited over a year to get it on sale for 1/2 price. The only way I could afford it.

Weber 22.5 kettle
Smokin in the Smokies
Jerry
Old 12-13-2017, 02:40 AM
Biltong King

Quote:
I waited over a year to get it on sale for 1/2 price. The only way I could afford it.

Good call!

If you ever see them go on sale again, let us (ME ) know please. Reviews look good

Thanks for the info / replies
Old 12-13-2017, 02:57 AM
Pit Master

nickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To All
nickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To All

Found most of my "good" knives at thrift stores or estate sales. I use and abuse knifes especially during deer season. I am not ready to quarter a deer with a shun.....well maybe if I had one.

I use a flexible blade for boning and trimming. I use to use a regular filet knife but now I usually grab a dexter, I have a couple of others but they are a little softer and dull quicker.

My favorite as of late is a thin carbon steel knife I found. Easy to keep sharp, semi flexible like a filet knife but has a little weight behind it.

I was thinking the other day I should sell all my collection and buy one or two real nice knives.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:26 AM
Wrap it in bacon

I didn't think I needed a high end knife until I got one. Now I can't go without them. Keep in mind though I cut for hours a day. Lots of preparation for a scratch made restaurant.

Weber 22.5 kettle
Smokin in the Smokies
Jerry
Old 12-13-2017, 05:32 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

YA know.. for alot of purposes... I really like my Rapalla filet knife. Hard enough to hold an edge a while..soft enough to dress easily.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:27 PM
Let's Rock Louie!

Slanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To All
Slanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richtee View Post
YA know.. for alot of purposes... I really like my Rapalla filet knife. Hard enough to hold an edge a while..soft enough to dress easily.
now i got some of them & never use em...gonna pull en out of retirement!

Old 12-13-2017, 08:39 PM
Biltong King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richtee View Post

Yes indeed! First trout I ever cleaned, and nearly all of them since were via the old wood handle Rapala.

Here's a classic from the old trout creel, now displayed at the ManCave bar. Probably needs a touch up on the edge lol
Old 12-13-2017, 08:52 PM
Let's Rock Louie!

Slanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To All
Slanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Yes indeed! First trout I ever cleaned, and nearly all of them since were via the old wood handle Rapala.

Here's a classic from the old trout creel, now displayed at the ManCave bar. Probably needs a touch up on the edge lol
Louie...wth? you doin? getting my (you claimed it) tomato slicing knife from 1972...awww...hell no jackass...you leave that in the camper! ...aight the big blade you bought me in 82...nope it ain't happenin...glass of wine... don't touch it...my blades...my camper...snore your ass off in there when we go racin/campin...leave my blades alone!

Old 12-13-2017, 08:57 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Hah! I like it! Just not for filet duty Bottle openerís a nice touch :{)
Old 12-13-2017, 08:57 PM
Wrap it in bacon

Quote:

That's one of the coolest knives I ever seen.

Weber 22.5 kettle
Smokin in the Smokies
Jerry
Old 12-13-2017, 09:24 PM
Biltong King

This isn't the Rapala I was referring to, but pretty neat old knife. Here's the other side.... haha
Old 12-13-2017, 09:26 PM
Biltong King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanted88 View Post
Louie...wth? you doin? getting my (you claimed it) tomato slicing knife from 1972...awww...hell no jackass...you leave that in the camper! ...aight the big blade you bought me in 82...nope it ain't happenin...glass of wine... don't touch it...my blades...my camper...snore your ass off in there when we go racin/campin...leave my blades alone!
Cheers CatDaddy!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Where To Buy It