Smoked-Meat Forums

Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > General Information

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Active Threads
0 Congrats To The New England And Philadelphia Fans!
Last Post: Bearcarver
Posted On: 01-23-2018
Replies: 24
Views: 216
0 A Feeble Attempt at Scott's Fritters....
Last Post: HawgHeaven
Replies: 13
Views: 130
0 Sesame crusted tuna
Last Post: TKOBBQ
Replies: 2
Views: 41
0 Sauce from liquid after SV
Last Post: Fishbum
Replies: 10
Views: 120
0 Anybody play with pressure cookers?
Last Post: chefrob
Replies: 12
Views: 130
More...
Mini Stats
Members 7,530 Entries 1
Members Entries
Threads 43,213 Reviews 1
Threads Reviews
Posts 648,871 Polls 37
Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...
Old 12-22-2017, 08:41 PM
Rub Mixer

Blinginpse Is Becoming A Smoke GuruBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoke GuruBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoke GuruBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoke GuruBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoke GuruBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoke GuruBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoke GuruBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoke GuruBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoke GuruBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoke GuruBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoke GuruBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoke Guru
Default Fresh oysters help

Looks like finally going to get my hands on some fresh oysters next week. They will Half to be shucked but am trying to find out about freezing them. Can anyone tell me anything on that?

Also have you ever grilled or smoked them? I know they can be steamed

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 12-22-2017, 08:48 PM
Biltong King

Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All
Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All

Personally, I would not freeze them. I have never tried or heard of people doing it aroond me butt maybe. That said, they are plentiful in my area.

My friends, family and I typically cook them on a grill until they pop open, then shuck them and put the oyster in 1/2 of the shell with an assortment of additions and condiments: Butter, Garlic, Worcestershire, Tabaso both Red and Jalapeno, Capers, cocktail sauce, Parmesan, etc. I will try to add a pic if I can find one.

Last edited by Fishawn; 12-22-2017 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:53 PM
Rub Mixer

Blinginpse Is Becoming A Smoke GuruBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoke GuruBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoke GuruBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoke GuruBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoke GuruBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoke GuruBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoke GuruBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoke GuruBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoke GuruBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoke GuruBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoke GuruBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoke Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishawn View Post
Personally, I would not freeze them. I have never tried or heard of people doing it aroond me butt maybe. That said, they are plentiful in my area.

My friends, family and I typically cook them on a grill until they pop open, then shuck them and put the oyster in 1/2 of the shell with an assortment of additions and condiments: Butter, Garlic, Worcestershire, Tabaso both Red and Jalapeno, Capers, etc. I will try to add a pic if I can find one.

So their isn't any way to really preserve them after get them besides just eat them fast?
Old 12-22-2017, 09:18 PM
Biltong King

Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All
Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All
Default Fresh oysters help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinginpse View Post
So their isn't any way to really preserve them after get them besides just eat them fast?

That I'm not sure of, we eat them fresh. I have had them canned before and smoked, but have not done either myself.

Here's a pic of after they pop open, are shucked from the shells, then into a 1/2 shell and start applying your sauces, butter, etc.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:20 PM
Let's Rock Louie!

Slanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To All
Slanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To All

you can shuck what you want for chow...yes you can freeze... make sure the liquor (oyster juice) goes in the tub as well...depends on how many in the tub me or Louie <---she does sprinkle sea salt on em & freeze...we fry em if we freeze...be alright...

Old 12-22-2017, 09:36 PM
Biltong King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanted88 View Post
you can shuck what you want for chow...yes you can freeze... make sure the liquor (oyster juice) goes in the tub as well...depends on how many in the tub me or Louie <---she does sprinkle sea salt on em & freeze...we fry em if we freeze...be alright...
Thanks MikeDaddy! Always good to learn something new
Old 12-22-2017, 10:00 PM
Rub Mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanted88 View Post

Awesome need to vacuum seal or what? Shuck them after froze and thawed?
Old 12-22-2017, 10:01 PM
Rub Mixer

Quote:
That I'm not sure of, we eat them fresh. I have had them canned before and smoked, but have not done either myself.

Here's a pic of after they pop open, are shucked from the shells, then into a 1/2 shell and start applying your sauces, butter, etc.

That looks
Great
Old 12-22-2017, 10:09 PM
Cookin with fire

SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All
SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All

oysters???
I live in Kansas

Craig
Old 12-22-2017, 10:34 PM
Meat Mopper

Fishbum Is  A Name Known To All
Fishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To All

Although oysters can be frozen with fair results, they do not have the same texture and appearance of a fresh oyster when thawed. How many you plan on getting? A hundred pound boat sack might last a day by the time we eat most of them raw, then fry what's left between a few people. Try oysters Rockefeller on the grill fine eats.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Old 12-22-2017, 10:39 PM
Rub Mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbum View Post
Although oysters can be frozen with fair results, they do not have the same texture and appearance of a fresh oyster when thawed. How many you plan on getting? A hundred pound boat sack might last a day by the time we eat most of them raw, then fry what's left between a few people. Try oysters Rockefeller on the grill fine eats.

That's what we are trying to decide on how many to get. Figure right now just a bushel if we cant freeze them with solid results. If could freeze them would get 2-3 bushel and just fry as thaw them. Getting jumbo shrimp
To like 12-14ct for 4$lb.

I'll Half to look up oyster rockefeller never heard of it. Always just ate stew and fried them
Old 12-22-2017, 10:40 PM
Rub Mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
oysters???

I live in Kansas

Mtn oysters are good in the mid west too
Old 12-22-2017, 10:42 PM
Cookin with fire

SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All
SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Hmmmm...No...

Craig
Old 12-22-2017, 10:46 PM
Rub Mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
Hmmmm...No...

Choice to live or die. Would you live or die if came to eating them?
Old 12-22-2017, 10:48 PM
Biltong King

Quote:
Awesome need to vacuum seal or what? Shuck them after froze and thawed?
I can't comment on Slanted88's method, but personally I would shuck them first and freeze them in their own brine/liquid if you get them that way, in maybe a plastic container, or maybe in a salty water brine. If you vac pack in shells, you are looking for trouble with bags breaking and air getting in. Personally, if I got them raw, live in shell, and wanted to freeze them, I would shuck them and put them in a large plastic container with a lid and fill it with fairly heavily salted (Kosher or similar) water, cover so no or minimal air gets in and freeze. Just my thoughts.

Quote:

Rockefeller Rocks!!
Old 12-22-2017, 10:50 PM
Rub Mixer

Quote:
I can't comment on Slanted88's method, but personally I would shuck them first and freeze them in their own brine/liquid if you get them that way, in maybe a plastic container, or maybe in a salty water brine. If you vac pack in shells, you are looking for trouble with bags breaking and air getting in. Personally, if I got them raw, live in shell, and wanted to freeze them, I would shuck them and put them in a large plastic container with a lid and fill it with fairly heavily salted (Kosher or similar) water, cover so no or minimal air gets in and freeze. Just my thoughts.

Rockefeller Rocks!!

They would be coming in onion sacks
Old 12-22-2017, 10:52 PM
Meat Mopper

Fishbum Is  A Name Known To All
Fishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Calf fries as my cousin calls em, if nobody told you what they were you would down a plateful their good.

Old 12-22-2017, 10:53 PM
Rub Mixer

Quote:
Calf fries as my cousin calls em, if nobody told you what they were you would down a plateful their good.

Dang right they are
Old 12-22-2017, 11:28 PM
Pit Master

crusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To All
crusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To All

As luck would have it I live in a fishing village on the Chesapeake Bay and never have encountered the said problem of have to preserve oysters

Good Luck
Island of Misfit Smokers Member #94

I cuss like a Sailor, because I am a Sailor

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > General Information