Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...
Old 01-23-2018, 06:53 PM
Pit Master

devo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To All
devo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richtee View Post
PV=nRT

Thanks padre.
You really need to get rid of that avatar
I am having a hard time not upchucking everytime I see it.
It is not suitable for food forums in my opinion

PBC Drum Smoker
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
THE BIG EASY INFRARED TURKEY FRYER
Miss Piggy Smoker
Sedona SD-9000 food dehydrator

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 01-23-2018, 06:59 PM
Pit Masters Assistant

dcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusty ol salt View Post
Actually they are complete opposites;

Water at 14.7 psia (sea level) boils at 212F

Water at 60 psia (pressure cooker) boils at 293F

Water at 1 psia (SV or Vacuum Sealed package) boils at 95F

Please see the attachments they are great boiling point charts.

I have always understood how and why pressure cooker work, high pressure and high temperature results in a shorter cooking time. It is also what makes them dangers. If the lid and rocker pressure relief valve are not seated properly, well you have a pressure cooker bomb like the ones used at the Boston marathon.

I think this is the same theory of the instapots. They are just upgraded and supposedly safer. Time will tell on that one.

But it also leads me quandary with SV cooking if you are boiling the juice in a piece of meat at 95F under a vacuum why do you have to cook the said piece of meat for 10 hours?

I hope this helps with the discussion.
I think you misunderstood me. My point was that conceptually the two are similar in that they both will allow exact temperature to be maintained while cooking.

My other understanding about SV is that SV has nothing to do with vacuum. You use a vacuum machine to evacuate air to achieve better water/food thermal conduction. That's why many people, me included, don't use a vacuum machine. Even after you vacuum sealed a SV bag, it is still under normal atmospheric pressure. You can never create a vacuum using a soft container, airless yes, vacuum no.

The long cooking time allows the chemistry to tenderize the meat. As I said, high temperature can make the meat fall apart, but that does not mean the meat is tender.

Finally, I don't think a PC can explode. What typically happens is that the valve gets dirty and blocks venting of pressure, and finally the safety valve blows and creates a messy eruption (with tomato sauce on your ceiling). Eruption yes, explosion no.

dcarch
Old 01-23-2018, 07:19 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
You really need to get rid of that avatar
I am having a hard time not upchucking everytime I see it.
It is not suitable for food forums in my opinion
Done!
Old 01-23-2018, 07:21 PM
Fire Starter

Mr-Neon Is Just Starting Out

I do not have one but a buddy of mine got one for Christmas.
He told me that it was the most Popular Gift for Christmas last year!
So I looked it up and sure enuff!
https://instantpot.com/
Old 01-23-2018, 07:31 PM
Pit Master

devo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To All
devo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richtee View Post
Done!
Love it LOL

PBC Drum Smoker
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
THE BIG EASY INFRARED TURKEY FRYER
Miss Piggy Smoker
Sedona SD-9000 food dehydrator
Old 01-23-2018, 08:11 PM
Pit Master

crusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To All
crusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To All

My other understanding about SV is that SV has nothing to do with vacuum. You use a vacuum machine to evacuate air to achieve better water/food thermal conduction. That's why many people, me included, don't use a vacuum machine. Even after you vacuum sealed a SV bag, it is still under normal atmospheric pressure. You can never create a vacuum using a soft container, airless yes, vacuum no.

The long cooking time allows the chemistry to tenderize the meat. As I said, high temperature can make the meat fall apart, but that does not mean the meat is tender.

dcarch
[/QUOTE]

Now I am back to safe cooking temperatures as we have preached here for years. Basically 4 hours from the fridge to above 140F or you need a cure?

Having a piece of meat that is not vacuum sealed stew at temp less than 140F for any extended time would be a petri dish just waiting to give someone food poisoning....

Just saying you can't have it both ways.
Island of Misfit Smokers Member #94

I cuss like a Sailor, because I am a Sailor

Old 01-23-2018, 09:00 PM
Pit Masters Assistant

dcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Goddcarch Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusty ol salt View Post

dcarch
Now I am back to safe cooking temperatures as we have preached here for years. Basically 4 hours from the fridge to above 140F or you need a cure?

Having a piece of meat that is not vacuum sealed stew at temp less than 140F for any extended time would be a petri dish just waiting to give someone food poisoning....

Just saying you can't have it both ways.[/QUOTE]

That is a long long involved topic, and I don't have all the link-able facts handy to discuss. Let's just say on a public forum like this, Whatever USDA says should be your guideline for food safety.

But let me talk about my own personal opinion, and its just a personal opinion, no one should do what I do. I believe the guidelines are for the very young, very old and health compromised individuals, with another layer of safety factor put on top just to be safe.

There are studies around with other recommendations for food safety, you can probably Google and find them.

You like Chinese Peking ducks? They are prepared the night before, air dried all night at room temperature (sometimes tropical temperature), roasted in a different shop, shipped to the restaurant, hung in the window all day at ambient temperature (go to Chinatown they are in every store). Billions of people have eaten them for thousands of years, no one has gotten sick yet.

SV has been around a very very long time, and have been in use by many people worldwide.

More people are killed by fatty hamburgers everyday.

dcarch

Last edited by dcarch; 01-23-2018 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:01 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Yes, absence of air is correct.It's still at 14.7 Lbs SqIn. So is a flat tire.

Thermal conduction is a major point. And precise temp control. AND over time. Its a different field. Chicken breast at 142? Sure. Not that I want a pink hunk of chicken... but in 4 or so hours or something like that..its safe.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > General Information