Posted On: 07-27-2017
Replies: 1
Views: 25
0 Great gas grill for a great price.
Last Post: BYBBQ
Posted On: 07-27-2017
Replies: 1
Views: 23
0 Just got in a Pit Barrel Cooker. Smoke updates.
Last Post: chefrob
Posted On: 07-26-2017
Replies: 43
Views: 731
0 Teriyaki Pheasant Sandwich
Replies: 17
Views: 209
0 Classic Thermapen Open Box Sale
Replies: 3
Views: 47
More...
Mini Stats
Members 7,265 Entries 1
Members Entries
Threads 42,314 Reviews 1
Threads Reviews
Posts 634,154 Polls 35
Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...
Old 10-05-2009, 08:24 AM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Default Sharpening grinder blades

My grinder blades are flat-ground type, EG the knife edge is completely parallel (flat against) to the plate.

I sharpen mine myself, by placing the blade then the plate flat on my 2" wide diamond block, adding a little water and gently grinding with a circular motion.

This will only work on parallel knife/plate type cutters!

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 10-05-2009, 08:36 AM
canal Zone Brat

Kyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God

sound like the correct way. gentle is the key with diamonds. and when you think you are done. use a Q-tip in the area of sharpening to look for burrs , things that will make the cotton pull. them you need to tweak that area to get any burrs off. small ceramic rods are good for this.

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:41 AM
Mistfit ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ

Texas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To All
Texas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To All

My understanding is to go in a figure 8 motion??

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Old 10-05-2009, 08:42 AM
canal Zone Brat

Kyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
yes, I have heard this also. But consistensy is the key I do believe.lol.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:43 AM
The Mad Hunky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
Hmmm could be Ken. Might have to try that and see if I notice any difference.

And in case I was not clear, you have to "sharpen" (flatten actually) the plate too!
Old 10-05-2009, 08:50 AM
Mistfit ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ

Texas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To All
Texas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richtee View Post
Hmmm could be Ken. Might have to try that and see if I notice any difference.

And in case I was not clear, you have to "sharpen" (flatten actually) the plate too!

Yes, this is true as well... Most folks dont know it is just as important to flatten the grinding plate..

Old 10-05-2009, 11:02 AM
Pit Master

SmokinLee Is  A Name Known To All
SmokinLee Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinLee Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinLee Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinLee Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinLee Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinLee Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinLee Is  A Name Known To All

I guess we all think alike. I also have a 4 sided 2 inch x 6 inch diamond stone I bought from Grizzley for $19.99. It has 4 grits, 200, 300, 400, and 600. I really like this and can't beat the price.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:12 AM
Thin & Blue brother <3

Bbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To All
Bbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To All

Thanks Rich!
This is information I am going to be needing here... soon!

PROUD MEMBER # 49
The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged PINK THERMAPEN

Old 10-05-2009, 11:16 AM
canal Zone Brat

certain thing must be flat to work correctly. I have a huge piece of cast iron that was turned down with a milling machine. then small grooves installed in a circular motion. I use differnt grade oil based grit to flattten things and smooth em out.
if you are having problems with it. the companys will normally sharpen for free and you just pay shipping. somethimes even replace free. since you are using their product and in away advertising for them.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:43 AM
Pit Master

SmokinLee Is  A Name Known To All
SmokinLee Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinLee Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinLee Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinLee Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinLee Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinLee Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinLee Is  A Name Known To All

Yea. Kyote. I used to have a lapping plate but left it were I had worked before going out on my own. Just never went back to pick it up. That would really finish them off nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyote View Post
certain thing must be flat to work correctly. I have a huge piece of cast iron that was turned down with a milling machine. then small grooves installed in a circular motion. I use differnt grade oil based grit to flattten things and smooth em out.
if you are having problems with it. the companys will normally sharpen for free and you just pay shipping. somethimes even replace free. since you are using their product and in away advertising for them.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:53 PM
Wannabe Smoker

MossyMO Is  A Name Known To AllMossyMO Is  A Name Known To AllMossyMO Is  A Name Known To All
MossyMO Is  A Name Known To AllMossyMO Is  A Name Known To AllMossyMO Is  A Name Known To AllMossyMO Is  A Name Known To AllMossyMO Is  A Name Known To AllMossyMO Is  A Name Known To AllMossyMO Is  A Name Known To AllMossyMO Is  A Name Known To AllMossyMO Is  A Name Known To AllMossyMO Is  A Name Known To AllMossyMO Is  A Name Known To AllMossyMO Is  A Name Known To AllMossyMO Is  A Name Known To AllMossyMO Is  A Name Known To AllMossyMO Is  A Name Known To AllMossyMO Is  A Name Known To AllMossyMO Is  A Name Known To All

I bring mine in and have them done. Reason is besides the plate and the knifes being sharpened, for the best efficiency the knifes should be sharpened to match a particular side of the plate; so each side of the plate could have its own designated knife.

We have 7 plates, I need to do some bulk knife shopping !!!

Old 10-05-2009, 07:14 PM
Fire Starter

Hell Fire Grill Knows How To Mop The Meat

What do you guys think about useing some 400 grit wet sand paper, like you would use for auto body work, sitting on a piece of 1/4" steel plate?
Old 10-05-2009, 08:28 PM
Mistfit ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MossyMO View Post
I bring mine in and have them done. Reason is besides the plate and the knifes being sharpened, for the best efficiency the knifes should be sharpened to match a particular side of the plate; so each side of the plate could have its own designated knife.

We have 7 plates, I need to do some bulk knife shopping !!!
I have heard this in the past, Not sure how it would make that big of a difference.. We use mostly two plates..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Fire Grill View Post
What do you guys think about useing some 400 grit wet sand paper, like you would use for auto body work, sitting on a piece of 1/4" steel plate?

I have used wet sand before with good results..

Old 10-05-2009, 09:20 PM
Bourbon bifocals

Uncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To All
Uncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To All

Appreciate the heads up guys! Good to know.

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
Clint Eastwood

Old 10-07-2009, 07:37 AM
Liquid Smoker

DangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MossyMO View Post
Same here. I didn't think it would make a difference buying a new knife and plate of the same brand and just using them together. After I had the plates (both sides) & blades sharpened and matched, the difference in grinding was marginally noticeable. I also had the sharpener inscribe the plates sides and then the size on the knives.

Don't let your meat loaf...

http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...view=slideshow

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > The Tool Crib

Tags
grinder, grinder blade, sharpening