Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...
Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 08:52 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Default St Looie style trimming

Ok, here's how I cut my St. Looie ribs. Remember that I trim mine to "competition" style, removing end bones and meat many leave on.

A smallish rack of full spares here. The knife is a good quality thin blade boning knife, and yes, it's SHARP!

First off, I trim off the small end bone/meat flaps at both ends of the rack:

Then trim off the skirt meat. I save all this and the tips for sausage making, or other uses.

Next, grasp the slab at the breastbone end, and locate the cartilage/rib bone connection point. You will feel the "bend" starting in the hunk there.

Once located HERE:

Lift the slab and 2 bones down make a cut thru the rack as shown. Make the cut thru the next cartilage joint down, and long enough to allow your finger thru the cut and the knife blade to be inserted below it.

Firmly pull the knife blade straight down, cutting thru the cartilage tips.

Lay the rack down- here's what they should look like:

Then make the cut severing the tips from the rack.

Next, the membrane is removed from the back side of the rib. Use a clean, dry paper towl to do this. "tease" and edge of the membrane up and work the flap across the whole width of the membrane.

Then, using a smooth, firm motion, pull the membrane from the slab.

Next, trim off any fatty spots/pockets

And there you have a nice slab of St. Looie style ribs!

Now- just a few words on how to prep for smoking:

I use a mustard slather. Any old mustard is fine...the idea is to allow the rub to adhere better and more to stick to the meat. Then SHAKE the rub on in a solid, even coat. DO NOT RUB! It's just a noun, not a verb...LOL!

Flip the slab and treat the bone side the same. You can go a bit lighter on the rub on this side, as most of the meat is on the other. Wrap and chill if possible for a couple hours before hittin' the smoke!

Last edited by DDave; 09-16-2017 at 06:34 PM.

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 10-12-2009, 09:02 PM
canal Zone Brat

Kyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God

just shameless shots of hunky rub.... where's the beef?????

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:05 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Was not MY idea... ask the photographer. Heh... Hmmm are there St Looie beef ribs?!?
Old 10-12-2009, 09:10 PM
canal Zone Brat

Kyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodKyote Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God

hey, here in N.M. we take em any way we get em..

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:19 PM
in Memoriam

Capt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodCapt Dan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God

Nicely done there Rich.

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)
Old 10-12-2009, 09:25 PM
Know-Not-All

Earache_My_Eye Is On His Way To Becoming A Pit MasterEarache_My_Eye Is On His Way To Becoming A Pit MasterEarache_My_Eye Is On His Way To Becoming A Pit Master

I'm confused, do you boil them before or after you apply the rub???

Old 10-12-2009, 09:33 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earache_My_Eye View Post
I'm confused, do you boil them before or after you apply the rub???
DURING- That's the trick to award winning ribs!
Old 10-12-2009, 09:39 PM
Know-Not-All

Earache_My_Eye Is On His Way To Becoming A Pit MasterEarache_My_Eye Is On His Way To Becoming A Pit MasterEarache_My_Eye Is On His Way To Becoming A Pit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richtee View Post
DURING- That's the trick to award winning ribs!

SHHHHH....don't tell Bubba...just keep beatin' him at the comps!!...
Old 10-12-2009, 09:41 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earache_My_Eye View Post
SHHHHH....don't tell Bubba...just keep beatin' him at the comps!!...
We need a dying gasp kinda laughing ico...ooops..I peed myself I think...

BRB!
Old 10-12-2009, 09:41 PM
Pit Master

SmokinLee Is  A Name Known To All
SmokinLee Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinLee Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinLee Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinLee Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinLee Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinLee Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinLee Is  A Name Known To All

Good job,
Could you show me again.? I know alot of people think; look at al that waste. But it's not, the ribs are much better and just look at what you can do with the trimmings. The last time I trimmed four slabs here, I ended up with 3.5 pounds of clean ( after trimming trimmings) Trimmings hmmm. Made 2 real nice fatties out of it. And I want to thank you and Capt. Dan for all the trimmings from the 10 slabs from the Flushing rib burn. I see Sausage, Fatties and some fresh ground pork for a big mess of potstickers in the near future.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:49 PM
Banned

ALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To All
ALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To All

Only thing i might change is try peanut oil instead of mustard for rub to stick too.I know some folk who have won some ching who use it/champs of the whole kcbs deal...

Saw a show while back where a 5 star chef used the peanut oil on a planked smoked fish.His quote was that it allows maximum smoke/flavor penetration on a quick hit like fish smoking....My 2 cents...Each his own!!!

Nice job on the pics.I must have 50 pounds of trimmings from comps this year

Lots of sausage etc. this winter.....

Last edited by ALX; 10-13-2009 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:07 PM
canal Zone Brat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALX View Post
Only thing i might change is try peanut oil instead of mustard for rub to stick too.I know some folk who have won some ching who use it/champs of the whole kcbs deal...

Saw a show while back where a 5 star chef used the peanut oil on a planked smoked fish.His quote was that it allows maximum smoke/flavor penetration on a quick hit like fish smoking....My 2 cents...Each his own!!!

Nice job on the pics.I must have 50 pounds of trimmings from comps this year

Lots of sausage etc. this winter.....

great. I have read that layering flavors help also. one of the so called secerts of winning comps.
for example using a sauce that is not going to burn and that is fiiiiine tasting as the base then put the rub on instead of mustard ect.
I like your idea more then the mustard.. thanks ALX..

Old 10-12-2009, 11:20 PM
Smokin-N-Tokin

roadrunr Knows How To Mop The Meat

Still my favorite...I'll take a good St Looooooie anyday over the rest.

2 Weber Kettles
Weber Smokey Joe
Chargriller Smoking Pro Offset
Brinkman ECB
Charbroil 940X
Project UDS
Brinkman Turkey Fryer
Old 10-12-2009, 11:41 PM
Banned

ALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To All
ALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To AllALX Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyote View Post
great. I have read that layering flavors help also. one of the so called secerts of winning comps.
for example using a sauce that is not going to burn and that is fiiiiine tasting as the base then put the rub on instead of mustard ect.
I like your idea more then the mustard.. thanks ALX..
I have a thread i did on the average triple layering for ribs-nothing speacial in comp world....Maybe i should post.....I would suggest the peanut oil on anything .......For comps you better layer...i would not eat comp food everyday-done for the 1 bite of judges....

Last edited by ALX; 10-13-2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:00 AM
canal Zone Brat

Quote:
I have a thread i did on the average triple layering for ribs.Maybe i should post.....
Quote:
I would suggest the peanut oil on anything say compared to olive oil.For instance you would not use olive oil when deep frying a turkey.Peanut oil has a higher burn/quality to it....Try it....-the mustard has no benefit outside stuff sticks to it.Peanut oil is Excellent on the poultry as well...................For comps you better layer...I am a grower of quality produce etc...i understand layering my friend....My soil i work hard to build is my flavor-but,like the HUNKY might say,not everyone can be exposed to this quality in a fast food world-i have to sell to high end restaurants went i want too-right now im bustin my chops in government land to get away from the fast food world i live in brother............

ALX, please do. anything to help make things better. that is what I have always tried to do. I am new at this and have been taking it all in. so far so good. everything off the smoker is gobbled down with words uttered "good stuff, man this is great, the best I have ever eaten" I get encouraged with that and strive to do better.
your garden sound sweet. and layering soils is key to any good gardening. that is what I am trying to do to my new garden. which seems to be on the back burner right now.
thanks.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyote View Post
[COLOR="Red"][B]

ALX, please do. anything to help make things better. that is what I have always tried to do. I am new at this and have been taking it all in. so far so good. everything off the smoker is gobbled down with words uttered "good stuff, man this is great, the best I have ever eaten" I get encouraged with that and strive to do better.
your garden sound sweet. and layering soils is key to any good gardening. that is what I am trying to do to my new garden. which seems to be on the back burner right now.
thanks.
O.K. Were you talking about gardening or barbeque....I can give my experiences.

The gardening is a bit like hunting/smoking. I can give you my experiences ........

Last edited by ALX; 10-13-2009 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:14 AM
The Mad Hunky!

One thing to remember- comp ribs are NOT what I cook when I'm eating them. Dunno about others, but my tastes and impressing the judges are two different things.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:16 AM
<Worlds Strongest Button

Mikey Is  A Name Known To AllMikey Is  A Name Known To All
Mikey Is  A Name Known To AllMikey Is  A Name Known To AllMikey Is  A Name Known To AllMikey Is  A Name Known To AllMikey Is  A Name Known To All

Rich; Thanks for the xlnt tutorial & finely detailed pics.

New Braunfels Bandera
New Braunfels Hondo
4-22 1/2" Weber Kettles
1-26" Weber Kettle
24"X72" Reverse Flow- Made in the U.S.A. by Me
Navy Corpsman-USMC '69-'73 Semper Fi
https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/
Old 10-13-2009, 12:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richtee View Post
One thing to remember- comp ribs are NOT what I cook when I'm eating them. Dunno about others, but my tastes and impressing the judges are two different things.
Definetly Rich.If my sis was not involved-comp junkie- i would cater and grow my produce.

Sorry to highjack thread.That was a profesional as heck job on that trimming...

Last edited by ALX; 10-13-2009 at 11:36 AM.
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Pork