Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...
Old 11-11-2009, 08:31 AM
Liquid Smoker

DangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God
Default Building a curing chamber for dry curing

or The death of another freezer..

It’s a relatively simple conversion regulating all three of the variables, cooling, heating and humidity. Keep in mind my unit is held in a very dry area of my house and this conversion method was based on the units needs given the location.

First I started with a working freezer. I installed a thermostat that would regulate the temperature from -30 to 90*F.

There are other types of temp controllers or you may find a thermostat with a narrower temp range which will also work fine. I set the thermostat to temp 57*F. If the temperature ever climbs to 60* or higher the freezer kicks on, chills the climate to 56 or 57*F and shuts off until it senses a higher temperature again. Should I need a warmer climate I have a variable temp. heater/fan situated inside the chamber as well.

I wired in a couple of outlets for the accessories. One outlet is set lower for the heater/fan and fogger and another higher up for the humidistat.

These two accessories, the fogger and the heater/fan, (using the “fan only” mode) are both plugged into the hygrostat via and ext. cord and will kick on when the RH falls below 65%. The fogger and the fan come on together and distribute the humidity uniformly throughout the chamber until the humidity reaches 72% then the hygrostat shuts off both the fan and the fogger. The humidity evens out to an average of 69-70% and the unit lays dormant until the next need is sensed.

Should the unit sense an excessive humidity level, the humidistat actuates a 3” 110v hobby fan that blows air out at the lower level ducted by a 3”I.D. piece of PVC pipe.

Installing the fan was just a matter of drilling the hole using a hole saw, mounting the fan on a mounting block and slipping the PVC into the drilled hole.

The dryer air is let in at the upper corner of the unit through several drilled holes.

This venting seems to remove the humidity steadily in a more natural manner, however if the humidity becomes too excessive the fan kicks on pulling the dryer air in from the top and pushing the humid air out at the bottom.

Since I’ve employed this multi system approached my moulds have remained more positive with exception of a ham that’s been giving me a run for my money. I’ve attributed the greener mold that occurred on this project to the netting I used to hang the ham. After a good scrub, the ham was replaced without the netting and I haven’t noticed further occurrences.

In all, it seems a pretty dependable running unit needing very little assistance. I just water the bowl once a week or so, pay the light bill, and everything through proper adjustment seems to work fine.

I’m called away on work for extended periods, up to a week or more at a time so the unit has to operate totally on its own. It’s taken a little thought and time to get everything to operate as it does and there was a medium cost at about $170 - $200 to build but it seems to work fine now that it’s finished.

Thermo, hygro, and humidistat used were obtained from the following links:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1RC43
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1UHG3
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1UHG2

My fogger came from this site:
http://www.bigappleherp.com/Big-Appl...=2&category=10

The 3” exhaust fan can be obtained from the following link:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103787

The variable temp heater/fan was purchased on sale at a home center.

The digital monitor I use was purchased from Extech.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/5PE71
It can be obtained at a more inexpensive price elsewhere, however I would suggest a medium level mechanical hygrometer. These can be purchased from around $10 - $100.00 depending on the quality you choose.

Many of these mechanical accessories can be found more inexpensively if you do a good search online for competitive prices.

Don't let your meat loaf...

http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...view=slideshow

Last edited by DangerDan; 11-11-2009 at 08:07 PM.

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 11-11-2009, 09:49 AM
Administrator

bbally Is  A Name Known To Allbbally Is  A Name Known To Allbbally Is  A Name Known To Allbbally Is  A Name Known To Allbbally Is  A Name Known To Allbbally Is  A Name Known To Allbbally Is  A Name Known To Allbbally Is  A Name Known To Allbbally Is  A Name Known To Allbbally Is  A Name Known To Allbbally Is  A Name Known To Allbbally Is  A Name Known To Allbbally Is  A Name Known To Allbbally Is  A Name Known To Allbbally Is  A Name Known To Allbbally Is  A Name Known To Allbbally Is  A Name Known To Allbbally Is  A Name Known To Allbbally Is  A Name Known To Allbbally Is  A Name Known To Allbbally Is  A Name Known To All

Nice Build Dan!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Old 11-11-2009, 10:08 AM
Sausagehead

Kingudaroad Is  A Name Known To All
Kingudaroad Is  A Name Known To AllKingudaroad Is  A Name Known To AllKingudaroad Is  A Name Known To AllKingudaroad Is  A Name Known To AllKingudaroad Is  A Name Known To AllKingudaroad Is  A Name Known To AllKingudaroad Is  A Name Known To AllKingudaroad Is  A Name Known To AllKingudaroad Is  A Name Known To AllKingudaroad Is  A Name Known To AllKingudaroad Is  A Name Known To All

And that is how that is done!! Points!!!
Old 11-11-2009, 10:25 AM
Reverend Coot

travcoman45 Is Becoming A Smoke Gurutravcoman45 Is Becoming A Smoke Gurutravcoman45 Is Becoming A Smoke Gurutravcoman45 Is Becoming A Smoke Gurutravcoman45 Is Becoming A Smoke Gurutravcoman45 Is Becoming A Smoke Gurutravcoman45 Is Becoming A Smoke Gurutravcoman45 Is Becoming A Smoke Gurutravcoman45 Is Becoming A Smoke Gurutravcoman45 Is Becoming A Smoke Guru

Buildin one a them this winter to Dan, feller I work with is given me the freezer, pays to feed em some Q an sausage!

Nice job on that en!
Hillbilly Drum Smoker -(Trident 1)

Lots a cast iron an a large butcher knife collection!
Be proud a who an what yall are, don't let nobody tell ya different!
"I am a Combat Engineer, if I say "Whoops" it's every man for himself!"
Familia Partia et Scientia
Family Country and Knowledge
www.hillbillyvittlesllc.com
Our Blog: http://oldcoothillbilly.wordpress.com/
Old 11-11-2009, 05:42 PM
In Memoriam

Walking Dude Is Becoming A Smoke GuruWalking Dude Is Becoming A Smoke GuruWalking Dude Is Becoming A Smoke GuruWalking Dude Is Becoming A Smoke GuruWalking Dude Is Becoming A Smoke GuruWalking Dude Is Becoming A Smoke GuruWalking Dude Is Becoming A Smoke GuruWalking Dude Is Becoming A Smoke GuruWalking Dude Is Becoming A Smoke GuruWalking Dude Is Becoming A Smoke Guru

any reason why a refridgerator couldn't be used in this app?

seems to me the websites i have browsed, seems the temps need only get around 50-70?

i bet summin like this could also be put into use as a cheese cave??

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!
Old 11-11-2009, 05:51 PM
My Alter Ego

ShooterRick Is Better Then Most In His Neighborhood At Grilling & SmokingShooterRick Is Better Then Most In His Neighborhood At Grilling & Smoking

As always impressive Dan. I may have one in my future so you may be mentoring me on the build. LOL

A camel is a horse that was put together by a czar and a committee!
My Facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?to...Q/131613189083
Old 11-11-2009, 07:16 PM
Pit Master

cajun_1 Is Becoming A Smoke Gurucajun_1 Is Becoming A Smoke Gurucajun_1 Is Becoming A Smoke Gurucajun_1 Is Becoming A Smoke Gurucajun_1 Is Becoming A Smoke Gurucajun_1 Is Becoming A Smoke Gurucajun_1 Is Becoming A Smoke Gurucajun_1 Is Becoming A Smoke Gurucajun_1 Is Becoming A Smoke Guru

Thank you Sir .....

FUGLY= UDS ( Living Up To It's Name )
Traeger BBQ-150
# 168
Old 11-11-2009, 07:52 PM
Liquid Smoker

DangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodDangerDan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Dude View Post
any reason why a refridgerator couldn't be used in this app?
A fridge could be used. I've seen some that have converted them but they seem to lack space (to me anyways). The freezer doesn't have any unused space except maybe about a foot at the bottom depending on the size of the product . Even with a fridge you'd still need a thermostat.

This year I'll be making my Genoa in 120mm casings. These mighty monsters are about 28" long. After shrinking they end up to about 90mm but the length will still be there.

Don't let your meat loaf...

http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...view=slideshow
Old 11-11-2009, 08:50 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Great post Dan... OK fine I'll give ya some points... ;{)
Old 12-10-2010, 09:37 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Derek View Post
I didn't even see this thread, I am so glad I did.

Thanks for putting up this tutorial Dan.
Read more, ruin less meat.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:48 AM
Smoked-Meat Newbie

Kizer Is Just Starting Out

I have the fridge I need for my curing chamber. Now I am trying to decide on what equipment to purchase. I also can't break the bank on my equipment.

I am looking at these two controllers, but it would be nice to find one that could be mounted on the outside of the chamber and run a probe inside. That way I can avoid running outlets into the chamber, which seems problematic and unsafe to me.

http://www.amazon.com/C-A-P-HUM1-Hum...s=cap+humidity

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=AH1JDG368QYFS

I am also contemplating this temp/humid combo controller.

http://www.amazon.com/AIR-2-Temp-Hum...s=cap+humidity

I would appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-26-2012, 02:13 PM
Smoked-Meat Newbie

stred Is Just Starting Out
Default AIR-2

I have been looking at the same model. Was wondering if you purchased it and if so how is it working for you?

Steve
Old 10-22-2012, 06:29 AM
Pit Master

dales133 Is  A Name Known To All
dales133 Is  A Name Known To Alldales133 Is  A Name Known To Alldales133 Is  A Name Known To Alldales133 Is  A Name Known To Alldales133 Is  A Name Known To Alldales133 Is  A Name Known To Alldales133 Is  A Name Known To Alldales133 Is  A Name Known To Alldales133 Is  A Name Known To Alldales133 Is  A Name Known To Alldales133 Is  A Name Known To Alldales133 Is  A Name Known To Alldales133 Is  A Name Known To Alldales133 Is  A Name Known To Alldales133 Is  A Name Known To All

Nice build

Mary had a little lamb her father shot it dead, now it goes to school with her between two lumps of bread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > The Tool Crib