1944 Army field oven.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1944 Army field oven.

Found this local but guy not returned my calls yet. I saw one of these or something similar converted to vertical smoker. If it is what I think there is a coal door at bottom and only would need minor mods to creat a insulated vertical smoker. You can see from the pic why I need him to call me. It was the only one available in the add. Anyone seen anything like this before?

http://batonrouge.craigslist.org/atq/1598966965.html
    sigpic

My Facebook page
    http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?to...Q/131613189083

I haven't seen one of those but I hope he calls you back. That would be an interesting build.
    sigpic
    Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
      I haven't seen one of those but I hope he calls you back. That would be an interesting build.
      I have lots of ?s no answeres yet. Looks galvanized on outside not SS. Is the inside SS or galvanized. Racks. Interiour condition? Is the coal pan intact and such.
      sigpic

My Facebook page

Comment

pretty neat looking. hope he touchs base with you.
        sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
        nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Originally posted by ShooterRick View Post
          Found this local but guy not returned my calls yet. I saw one of these or something similar converted to vertical smoker. If it is what I think there is a coal door at bottom and only would need minor mods to creat a insulated vertical smoker. You can see from the pic why I need him to call me. It was the only one available in the add. Anyone seen anything like this before?

http://batonrouge.craigslist.org/atq/1598966965.html
          I have seen those before. Only the inside is SS, the outside is galvanized and they are heavy. Yea, they got 4 handles on them and all, but I bet the smallest guys on KP duty weren't carrying these anywhere. They are still in the inventory of the U.S. government. That nasty, slow gvt. agency -- FEMA -- still have them. $100 is a great deal if it is still in the condition shown in the picture.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by davidmcg View Post
            I have seen those before. Only the inside is SS, the outside is galvanized and they are heavy. Yea, they got 4 handles on them and all, but I bet the smallest guys on KP duty weren't carrying these anywhere. They are still in the inventory of the U.S. government. That nasty, slow gvt. agency -- FEMA -- still have them. $100 is a great deal if it is still in the condition shown in the picture.
            The one I saw converted to smoker had a caster mod done. I imagine cause of the weight this was done. I Figure even a cheap hand truck could be use to make it easier to move around. LOL
            sigpic

My Facebook page

Comment

Yea a hand truck could be used real easy. But it might be easier to just take some angle iron along the side, put wheels at one end and legs with feet at the other. I think that would give your back a better break, provide more leverage and be easier to steer/guide. Almost anything could be fashioned to work, heck even a couple of old push lawnmower decks could do it with a couple pieces of angle iron for bracing. Has the guy ever responded? Thats one of the drawbacks to Craiglist. People don't post phone numbers, they just use the Craigslist reference email. Sometimes it takes people fore ever to reply. But at $100 for that oven, its worth the wait unless somebody beats ya to it or the seller comes to the right mind and doesn't sell.
              sigpic

Comment

Score! 1944 army oven!

The guy responded by email and left me his number. I called this morning and we have a deal as long as the condition is how he reported it! 45 minute drive to his place after lunch and she is mine! Ideas buzzen in my head but once I have it home I will take pics inside and out and post for conversion ideas. I have already thought about mobility of it as it is heavy. Pics coming later today.
                sigpic

My Facebook page

Comment

Good deal young man. It will definitely be a 45 minute ride you'll be glad ya took. I will stand by for some pictures.
                  sigpic

Comment

Thinkin ya got a great find! Gonna be interesting if it is what ya want!
                    Sunset Eagle Aviation
                    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

1944 Army oven mine with Pics!

I picked the 1944 Army Field Oven up this afternoon. She is close to as described so I gave the gentleman the 100.00. I was thinking on my way about the conversion and was wishing she had split doors top and bottom. Well she does. Not only is there a smaller bottom door, about the height of the pan storage of a household range, but on the right and left sides slide dampers that function are already there. The main door cam latch system functions although one side latch is broken off. The door still closes tightly and has a lip for sealing rope if needed. Heavy full width handles that fold out are on both sides. The top of the oven is hinged and will lift up revealing swing out sausage hangers at each four top corners. They are partially frozen but some cleanup and lube should take care of this. There are 2 access slide doors in the main door and 1 in the fire box door.

The fire box itself is missing but the rails it would have slid in on are in fair shape. One rack set of rails is shot and may have to be replaced but not sure yet. There is no floor in the oven and I will need to put one in. An opening in the front of the fire box door will need closed. The grates are in bad shape and will be replaced. The hinged lid is also hinged in the middle like a folding closet door and is not suitable to hold heat. I will need to replace the lid and am thinking I will utilize the single back hinge so the top can be opened. Dampers will have to be fabricated for the lid also. My concern as to the outside being galvanized was unfounded. What I thought was galvanized was actually dirt and patina. I believe the entire unit is either SS or aluminum as a magnet will not adhere to the surfaces but only some of the hardware. The side and back panels are insulated. The whole structure is very ridged and heavy. My guess as to weight would be around 100 lbs as is. I intend on making an angle iron cradle with casters for it to sit in or use a cheap hand truck to be permanently attached from the back. All in all she seems to be about 85-90% on her way to being fine upright smoker. She will be my spring project. Pics below. Can’t call em Qview yet but someday! LOL

Compare size to 48 Lang:

Front view with side fold out handles:

Fire box door:

Main chamber door:

Excess doors:

Lid to be replaced as well as floor:

Firebox dampers on both sides slide:

Rear reads US Army 1944, Hard to read but there:
                      sigpic

My Facebook page

Comment

That is pretty cool.good find
                        2-22.5'' weber
                        1-18'' weber
                        1 smokey joe
                        22.5'' wsm
                        24'' smoke vault
                        1-outhouse
                        Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                        Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Get after it...Nice!.Now that i see it, was a young Boy Scout at camp & saw some of them!
                          Sunset Eagle Aviation
                          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

That is just cool rick....She found a good home....

Comment

Sweet deal and I think worth the money....oh ya....
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X