Pastrami Experiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pastrami Experiment

Started with a small Pork Butt, a Tri-tip and the Plate or Deckle cut from a rack of Short Ribs. Also had a Brisket point leftover from my last corned beef experiment.
    Used the same brine and same bucket for the cure, This is a corned beef brine, that I've modified. Here it is after 8 days, minus the point. The scraps in the lower right I smoked up for stock(thought it might make an interesting pot of beans)
    Notice the funky direction of the grain in the Tri-tip(second from the left), that's why so many people screw it up when they carve it.

Rolled everything in freshly ground coriander, black pepper, crushed red and paprika and into the smoker at 225-240.
    Pulled the Tri-tip at 140, Pork Butt, Deckle and scraps at 170

With the grain on the Tri-tip the way it is I usually "shim" it in the slicer with some paper towels

Heres the Tri-tip

The pork Butt

And the Plate

Review; The Brine is perfect, even the Brisky Point that that I cured and boiled up as corned beef was right on the money.
    The rub was also excellent. For the average person it was right on, but I like a bit more heat, so I might kick it up a little more, maybe some cayanne, white pepper and a bit of chipotle, next time.
    The Tri-tip was excellent, in hindsight, I think I would take it to 150 next time before I pulled it, to firm up the texture a bit. It was extremely tender.
    The Pork Butt was outta this world. As far as flavor goes the pork absorbed much more of the seasonings and salt than the other two. I think I would trim it out a bit more, before rolling it, to remove some of the fat.
    And the Plate. This one knocked my socks off. It was almost as flavorful as the Pork but the texture was beyond description. The flavor literally washes through your mouth and hits every flavor zone simultaneously. It's the one I was looking for.
    Conclusion;
    I would definately do the pork again, flavor wise it's the winner.
    without a doubt this is on my permanant menu.
    Same with the Plate, I can't wait to try it this weekend on a grilled hunk of bread with some melted cheese and a hot brown mustard.
    Maybe a toss up for first place with the pork when you take everything into account.
    The Tri-tip;It was really good, but next to the other two, it comes up short. Interesting experiment but not a repeat. I plan on using this in Hash or with other ingredients.
    Thanks for checkin my pics.
    JT

I don't know what else to say. Great post and pics. Great experiment!
    KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ What he say on Re-load JT... (Nice Work)
      sigpic

Comment

Just lovely! Real nice!
        Sunset Eagle Aviation
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

. Nothing more to say...
          ---------------------------------------------------
          I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
          ---------------------------------------------------
          KCBS CBJ

Comment

Nice work there!
            Keith

Comment

Great experiments..... on my re-load....

Comment

Great looking meats there buddy. I was just thinking this morning of doing something different like a pork butt pastrami, now I will for sure. Love the way that plate came out

Curious, what meat slicer do you have there? Do you like it? I am needing to get one.
                https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Nice work Whiskey! All the meats look to die for.
                  sigpic

GOSM/propane
                  UDS (Cam)/lump
                  22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
                  Weber Genesis/propane
                  Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

Thanks everyone really appreciate it!

Originally posted by Meat Hunter View Post

Curious, what meat slicer do you have there? Do you like it? I am needing to get one.

Can't remember the name right off hand, but no, I don't like it very much, somethins not quite right, as it leaves a "tail" on the peice you are cutting from, I gotta flip it every few cuts to keep it from getting too long.
                    I'd start a thread in the tool crib forum asking that question, I've seen some great ones on here, just can't remember who had em.
                    JT

Comment

Way to go!!! Great experiment and it all turned out great!!!
                      Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                      Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                      1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                      Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                      Weber Smokey Joe
                      Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                      Pink Thermapen
                      Purple Thermapen

Comment

Originally posted by Whisky Fish View Post
                        Thanks everyone really appreciate it!

Can't remember the name right off hand, but no, I don't like it very much, somethins not quite right, as it leaves a "tail" on the peice you are cutting from
                        I think that's kinda common really. Mine does that too, depending on the tenderness of what you are cutting, or in the case of skin or a tougher outside "bark".
                        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Whisky Fish View Post
                          Can't remember the name right off hand, but no, I don't like it very much, somethins not quite right, as it leaves a "tail" on the peice you are cutting from, I gotta flip it every few cuts to keep it from getting too long.
                          I think I might have the same slicer and I know I have the exact same problem with mine. When trying to slice my belly bacon I finally got fed up and hand sliced it. I have been looking to upgrade too.
                          KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Originally posted by wutang View Post
                            I think I might have the same slicer and I know I have the exact same problem with mine. When trying to slice my belly bacon I finally got fed up and hand sliced it. I have been looking to upgrade too.
                            I got so frustrated with mine while I was trying to slice belly bacon the first time, I almost threw it down the canyon. Then Rich talked me down from the ledge and told me to partially freeze it. That wasn't the only time he got me off that ledge
                            JT

Comment

Wow, nice work there

, sorry, got shut down trying to give points. Great job none the less!!
                              Pete
                              Large BGE
                              Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Working...
                              X