PID Mods to OBS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PID Mods to OBS

I don't know if anyone here would be interested. But I am posting this because I had a devil of a time making sense of the little bit of info I could find on how to add an extra heat element to the OBS. So, maybe this will help if someone is looking to do the same.
    The customer service at Bradley is great as is the CS at Auber Insterments (the place I bought my PID http://auberins.com). But, because I wanted to add an extra heat element to the smoker, no one would 'officially' tell me what I could or couldn't do. They would only say," it will void my warranty", and "I know people do it"....so...I did it.

The heating element in a OBS is only 500 watts. I read that you can add an extra heating element, and it gives the smoker enough power to smoke in colder weather and it enables you to get temps up to consistant 250F. It also has a really quick recovery with the extra element.

The PID (I don't know what that is an acronym for) controls the temp in the smoker to 'within 1 degree' (they claim). More info here http://www.auberins.com/index.php?ma...233b40a3802eaf

The PID is rated at 1800 watts so we wired both heating elements into the PID, like thus;

THe new element fit right on top of the original element and below the drip try. I didn't loose any shelf space.

Here is the PID unit

If you look at the picture below, on the right upper side you can see an insulator with a probe (can't really see the probe, but it's there). That is the probe for the PID unit. They said to put it in the middle but I thought it would get in the way so I put it to one side.

In 30 minutes the unit was at 250F, I didn't have my instant read in yet I was just testing. But, I know the door thermometer is pretty acurate. The PID had the same reading. I'll test it with my thermometer and a wood block tomorrow.

I opened the door a few time and the temps recovered with in minutes. I also programed the PID at 200F for 1/2 hour, then 230, for 1/2 hour then 250..and it did what it was suppose to do.
    I'm smoking a butt tonight so we'll see how it does.

Thanks for looking.
    Mo
    "And I SWORE I would not read, much less post in that thread, dammit!

Right on Mo!!!
    It sounds like you have it all dialed in! I can't wait to hear about your butt! LOL!
    It has great recovery, I wonder if it will change with a hunk o' meat in there, I am very interested! You go girl!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

PID = proportional - integral - differential controller. Happy you asked I bet. But if you read thru the programming, you can control the process with either or all of the P I D components. Think of P being a nice schoolyard monitor- will gently correct misdeeds... I being the same monitor who has seen alot, and is angrier over time, and D the over-reactive "seat of the pants" solve it now type... type. P is all you really need. D will help if ya wanna limit overshoot. I helps too, but it's a cumulative error thing.

Sounds like a nice mod...
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
        PID = proportional - integral - differential controller. Happy you asked I bet. But if you read thru the programming, you can control the process with either or all of the P I D components. Think of P being a nice schoolyard monitor- will gently correct misdeeds... I being the same monitor who has seen alot, and is angrier over time, and D the over-reactive "seat of the pants" solve it now type. P is all you really need. D will help if ya wanna limit overshoot. I helps too, but it's a cumulative error thing.

Sounds like a nice mod...
        I have no idea what you just said

I mostly wanted the extra heat, but Peter thought I would want this PID thing...we'll see.

Goddess, does this make my butt look big? How about now, if I turn around

Comment

Originally posted by moselle View Post

I mostly wanted the extra heat, but Peter thought I would want this PID thing...we'll see.

All you needed was the P part. But I bet the I and D come free with it.

And no..it's the BBQ doing that.... Not that I mind curves BTW.
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Mo that is funny chit right there! where was the spew alert? LOL!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Set it and forget it .... Sleep at night ... You rock ...

Comment

OMG the chick using tools and stuff... it seems like only two years ago I was splaining how to change the lawn mower battery!

Peter is a lucky lucky man Mo!
                Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

PID....... I was an ER nurse for 17 years. You don't want to know what that stands for in that world That looks like a great mod and controller for you there.
                  sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

I opened the door a few time and the temps recovered with in minutes. I also programed the PID at 200F for 1/2 hour, then 230, for 1/2 hour then 250..and it did what it was suppose to do.
                    Now THAT is awesome! To have it working that quickly is great!!

for the mod.

I've spent hours and hours sitting in front of lumber dry kiln controllers and boiler control systems tuning the PID loops. Pretty tedious, especially on something that doesn't respond real fast, like a wood fired boiler or a lumber dry kiln. Kind of like watching paint dry . . . only more boring.

Dave
                    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                    UDS 1.0
                    Afterburner
                    Weber Performer
                    Blue Thermapen
                    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                    Auber Smoker Controller
                    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                    -
                    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

good morning

....so, I got home around 10ish and yes, I was a little squiffy.
                      Put my butt in the smoker, and set my 'plug-n-play' and went to bed....

It's a little foggy this morning

Butt (hehe I said butt...) Look at what happened while I was asleep!

Good morning beautiful....exactally 175F, now foiled and I'm going to get some coffee....I don't think I've ever done this, but here it goes...

Comment

now that is a thing of beauty. A bos with set and forget and the right amount of wattage.

If only you'd done this before I torched mine lol
                        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Wow Mo, that's awesome. Looks like you're going to enjoy the smoker a lot more now. The butt looks great.
                          S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                          CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                          New Braunfels Bandera
                          UniFlame Gas Grill
                          Lil Chief

Comment

Man that's a BIG butt! Nice lookin' too!

Comment

Now that's a nice butt!! Arsesome!!!

BTW, chicks and power tools...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Working...
                              X