Brining AND Injecting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brining AND Injecting?

Is that redundant? Do you usually do both or just one or the other?

I got a brining bucket in November that I haven't used yet. Got an injector for Christmas that I haven't used yet. So I'm thinking . . . I need to use them.

My freezer weeps for there is no pulled pork or brisket in there, but weekends have been NUTS lately. And Saturday is my son's Little League Jamboree. But I'm thinking maybe a couple of chickens in the rotisserie on the drum Saturday afternoon or Sunday?

I'm thinking Tip's Slaughterhouse brine and some sort of injection. Haven't figured that part out yet. But do you generally brine AND inject the same piece of meat or just do one or the other? I could get two chickens and brine one and inject the other.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Dave
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Dave, sure ya can brine an inject. My brine has an injection with it, ya don't have ta use it, but they sorta compliment each other.

Fer cluckers, personally I just brine, turkeys I brine an inject.

There really ain't no wrong way ta do it.

Let me know if ya need the injection recipe, be glad ta give it to ya.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by travcoman45 View Post
      Let me know if ya need the injection recipe, be glad ta give it to ya.
      That would be great, Tip.

I'd sure appreciate it.

Dave
      CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
      UDS 1.0
      Afterburner
      Weber Performer
      Blue Thermapen
      Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
      Auber Smoker Controller
      Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
      -
      "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Big hunks need an injection. Hams...real bone in ones. BBB or butt hams...not so much, but you can still assure a quicker and more complete cure by doing so. Deal is...the surface area of the meat exposed to the cure.

With the big "country" hams, you have to inject along the bones and joint to get the cure in quick enough to prevent spoilage.

Commercial bacon is injected... and tumbled - and cures in like 1 day or something.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I am surpised not more info was passed on.

Like trav said. on the birds. I have a hard time not brining chicken now that I have done it. and the turkeys, I have not injected as yet. just brine. But I do not know if i realy brine. as I have cut the salt almost out of the liquid.
          But by goly the turkeys are tasty and moist.
          and for me. a brined turkey smoked is pretty good. I have not needed to add any more flavor by injecting any thing else.

on beef and pork I inject the heck out of them. you will have fun making concoctions up and injecting.
          sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
          nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

I agree with Kyote. I brine chix,turks and butts and wont inject. If I am injecting, I haven't brined the product. Both introduce flavor and moisture. Surely both would not harm it. Like Tip said, One should compliment the other. Shoot i may just have to try it! Great question Dave.
            Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
            Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Most of the time I brine and inject with the same solution. But Tip's injection sounds interesting which would compliment both the meat and the brine. But one thing about cutting out the salt, the brine would pretty much become a marinade of sorts because of the whole osmosis process.

Comment

Just thinkin out loud here, but brining and curing are not the same thing, right? You brine for flavour and moisture(yeah there is some curing happening there) but you cure for bacteria destruction. You can play around with anything you want to with the flavor and texture that cure provides and brining provides, but we don't let food get to "bad" temps, unless they hit the low temp, low oxygen in a smoker, and then you need a cure. You can do anything you want with fresh meat as long as you don't violate the four hour rule. Am I right on this?
                JT

Comment

Your right. I do both flavor brine and brine cure. Just depends what I want.

Originally posted by Whisky Fish View Post
                  Just thinkin out loud here, but brining and curing are not the same thing, right? You brine for flavour and moisture(yeah there is some curing happening there) but you cure for bacteria destruction. You can play around with anything you want to with the flavor and texture that cure provides and brining provides, but we don't let food get to "bad" temps, unless they hit the low temp, low oxygen in a smoker, and then you need a cure. You can do anything you want with fresh meat as long as you don't violate the four hour rule. Am I right on this?

Comment

haven't injected anything but i always brine my birds.......
                    sigpic
                    it's all good my friend..........

Comment

I'm with Tip, you can brine, you can inject or you can do both.
                      Can't hurt to add another level of flavor.
                      There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Dave I often do both, with yard birds and butts. Steve turned me onto brining butts.. and injecting and they are delicious! I have brined in buttermilk and also then injected with buttermilk... quite YUMMY! give it a try, and I think you will be hooked!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Originally posted by chefrob View Post
                          haven't injected anything but i always brine my birds.......
                          I only have injected turkeys that were destined for the deep fryer...Never found a need to inject meat on a smoker but Im sure it cant hurt.

Found a recipie that I use for beer can chickens that calls for brine and then marinade...no inject...Its the best I have found...
                          Craig
                          sigpic

Comment

Here's the injection Dave:

Slaughterhouse Poultry Injection
                            ½ Pkg Good Seasons Italian Dressing
                            2 tsp Garlic Powder
                            2 tsp Celery Seed
                            2 TBS melted Butter (non salted)
                            2 C Apple Cider
                            sigpic

Comment

I always brine my birds. Lately I have been injecting pork, and since I always make way more injection than is actually required, I just dump it in the bag with the meat. When I squish the air out of the bag it usually leaves a nice layer of "brine" around the butt for it to rest in...so I guess I am doing both. Results have been awesome.
                              BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                              Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                              I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Working...
                              X