Posted On: 07-27-2017
Replies: 1
Views: 25
0 Great gas grill for a great price.
Last Post: BYBBQ
Posted On: 07-27-2017
Replies: 1
Views: 23
0 Just got in a Pit Barrel Cooker. Smoke updates.
Last Post: chefrob
Posted On: 07-26-2017
Replies: 43
Views: 731
0 Teriyaki Pheasant Sandwich
Replies: 17
Views: 209
0 Classic Thermapen Open Box Sale
Replies: 3
Views: 47
More...
Mini Stats
Members 7,265 Entries 1
Members Entries
Threads 42,314 Reviews 1
Threads Reviews
Posts 634,154 Polls 35
Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...
Old 04-18-2010, 02:41 PM
Smokin' Sumthin'

Fore Check Is Becoming A Smoke GuruFore Check Is Becoming A Smoke GuruFore Check Is Becoming A Smoke GuruFore Check Is Becoming A Smoke GuruFore Check Is Becoming A Smoke GuruFore Check Is Becoming A Smoke GuruFore Check Is Becoming A Smoke GuruFore Check Is Becoming A Smoke GuruFore Check Is Becoming A Smoke GuruFore Check Is Becoming A Smoke Guru
Default Where to put the temp probe (beer can chicken)

Hey y'all

I've got a beer can chicken going with pecan in the MES right now, started it about 40 minutes ago.

Now, thinking of a beer can chicken, I've got the temp probe going down from the top into what I eyeballed as the deepest part of the breast meat.

Is this alright? I'm asking because the temp is climbing faster than I would have thought.

The MES is still "recovering" to a run temp of 275 and I'm going for a 170 finished temp.

Thanks for the help!

Discovering Something that Doesn't Exist...

Radix Lecti Rex

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 04-18-2010, 02:55 PM
Chipotle Dude- In Memoriam

richoso1 Is Better Then Most In His Neighborhood At Grilling & Smokingrichoso1 Is Better Then Most In His Neighborhood At Grilling & Smoking

I always use the thigh for meat probes, the breast can give a different temp reading than the rest of the bird. Don't insert near any bone(s), it'll give you a false reading. Smoke and seeds forever.
Pepperhead Award posthumously-

Miss you Rich- How's the ABT's up there?
Old 04-18-2010, 02:58 PM
Smokin' Sumthin'

Fore Check Is Becoming A Smoke GuruFore Check Is Becoming A Smoke GuruFore Check Is Becoming A Smoke GuruFore Check Is Becoming A Smoke GuruFore Check Is Becoming A Smoke GuruFore Check Is Becoming A Smoke GuruFore Check Is Becoming A Smoke GuruFore Check Is Becoming A Smoke GuruFore Check Is Becoming A Smoke GuruFore Check Is Becoming A Smoke Guru

You wouldn't have a pic or know where one is, do ya?

Radix Lecti Rex
Old 04-18-2010, 03:13 PM
Smokin' Sumthin'

I just went out and pulled the chicken out of the MES and tried moving the probe, poked around in the thigh area a couple of different ways. The temp was reading a couple of degrees higher down on the thigh anywhere I poked it compared to where it was originally in the breast. So I put the probe back in the original spot then back in the MES it went.

How does 2 hours (or a bit under) cook time sound for a beer can chicken at 275? Chicken is about 4.5 lbs.

Radix Lecti Rex
Old 04-18-2010, 04:23 PM
Pit Master

davidmcg Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacherdavidmcg Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacherdavidmcg Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacherdavidmcg Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacherdavidmcg Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacherdavidmcg Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacherdavidmcg Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacher

Thigh is the best place. Has to do with the dark meat and the breast is to close to the internal cavity and steam heat coming off the can.

Time varies to much depending on the bird. Sorry I can't give ya a better answer. But I have down them in 2 hours at that size and other times it took 3.

David McGuire

McLouth, KS

Retired/disabled Wyandotte County, KS Deputy Sheriff

U.S. Veteran

"Cowards die many times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once. "
-William Shakespeare
Old 04-18-2010, 04:28 PM
Smokin' Sumthin'

Cool -

It slowed waaaaaaay down after hitting 150. It might end up going a full 3 hours. I've still got the thermometer in the breast and at 2.5 hours it's at 165 (going to 170)

Radix Lecti Rex
Old 04-18-2010, 04:36 PM
smoke 'em if ya got 'em

blues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To Allblues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To All
blues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To Allblues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To Allblues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To Allblues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To Allblues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To Allblues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To Allblues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To Allblues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To Allblues_n_cues Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore Check View Post
Hey y'all

I've got a beer can chicken going with pecan in the MES right now, started it about 40 minutes ago.

Now, thinking of a beer can chicken, I've got the temp probe going down from the top into what I eyeballed as the deepest part of the breast meat.

Is this alright? I'm asking because the temp is climbing faster than I would have thought.

The MES is still "recovering" to a run temp of 275 and I'm going for a 170 finished temp.

Thanks for the help!
@ my age i just can't go there.....lmao
my pro-street runs just fine...
22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
& rotisserator
12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
my music recordings-
http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Old 04-18-2010, 05:52 PM
Smokin' Sumthin'

Hmmmm...

That was a disappointment.

The first couple beercan chickens I did I cooked at 225 and 250 respectively and didn't use a thermometer - went for 4 hours (different size birds.) Skin was chewy but everything else was tender and juicy and great.

This one, I used the thermo and went to 170 at 275 hoping for less chewy skin.

What I got was a chicken that was chewy all over, wouldn't shred, wouldn't pull apart without a huge fight. Damn.

Radix Lecti Rex
Old 04-18-2010, 06:30 PM
Let's Rock Louie!

Slanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To All
Slanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To All

Thinkin ya need to do a thermo test....ain't sure, but if you were at 2bux50 for 4 hrs...it really should have been done in that time...

Old 04-18-2010, 06:39 PM
Elder Smoker

Savannahsmoker Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodSavannahsmoker Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodSavannahsmoker Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodSavannahsmoker Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodSavannahsmoker Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodSavannahsmoker Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodSavannahsmoker Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodSavannahsmoker Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodSavannahsmoker Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodSavannahsmoker Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodSavannahsmoker Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodSavannahsmoker Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodSavannahsmoker Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodSavannahsmoker Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodSavannahsmoker Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodSavannahsmoker Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodSavannahsmoker Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodSavannahsmoker Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodSavannahsmoker Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God

I put it into the meaty part of the thigh and pull when temp is 180. Tent and rest for 10 minutes.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:52 PM
Bourbon bifocals

Uncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To All
Uncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanted88 View Post
Thinkin ya need to do a thermo test....ain't sure, but if you were at 2bux50 for 4 hrs...it really should have been done in that time...
I agree 100%. That size chick and the temp and time...shoulda been seeing superb results. Was the chick frozen before? That can have a affect, IMHO. I also do not ever use water under my chicken, during the smoke.

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
Clint Eastwood

Old 04-18-2010, 09:54 PM
Thin & Blue brother <3

Bbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To All
Bbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To AllBbqgoddess Is  A Name Known To All

FC,
I use the thigh too for temp reading like David said. It really makes no sense, it should have been good and done... was it dry? your description sounds like it was under done..
Maybe a thermo test is a good idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by richoso1 View Post
I always use the thigh for meat probes, the breast can give a different temp reading than the rest of the bird. Don't insert near any bone(s), it'll give you a false reading. Smoke and seeds forever.
Rich, great to see you back, I have been meaning to shoot you an email to see if you were all ok... welcome back!

PROUD MEMBER # 49
The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged PINK THERMAPEN

Old 04-19-2010, 05:00 AM
Smokin' Sumthin'

Just to clarify - this one went for 3 hours at a higher temp than the first two, hoping for crispier skin (and the skin was even worse than before. It wasn't just rubbery - it was tough. Like leather.) The thighs and legs were the most done part of the chicken (little tougher and drier than the rest)

The breasts were *by far* the biggest, meatiest pieces of this chicken.

I'd say a full 50% of the meat on the entire chicken was in the breasts.

I'm thinking it was a bum chicken.

Next one I'll go back to the lower cook temp (???)

Radix Lecti Rex
Old 04-19-2010, 05:06 AM
Pit Master

SmokinLee Is  A Name Known To All
SmokinLee Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinLee Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinLee Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinLee Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinLee Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinLee Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinLee Is  A Name Known To All

I really wouldn't cook at a lower temp. Could of been a bum chicken But normally like kelly said, if it's chewy it's under done plus if it's dry it's overdone.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:09 AM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
This one, I used the thermo and went to 170 at 275 hoping for less chewy skin.

What I got was a chicken that was chewy all over, wouldn't shred, wouldn't pull apart without a huge fight.
I don't do pulled chicken, but it seems 170 is a bit low for pulling. I'm thinking you'd want like 185 maybe?
Old 04-19-2010, 05:20 AM
Smokin' Sumthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinLee View Post
I really wouldn't cook at a lower temp. Could of been a bum chicken But normally like kelly said, if it's chewy it's under done plus if it's dry it's overdone.

I had both symptoms....

EDIT: I don't think it's a temp probe problem - I used it the day before on an 8 lb pork shoulder that turned out perfect.

Radix Lecti Rex
Old 04-19-2010, 02:43 PM
Pit Masters Assistant

Dionysus Is Better Then Most In His Neighborhood At Grilling & SmokingDionysus Is Better Then Most In His Neighborhood At Grilling & SmokingDionysus Is Better Then Most In His Neighborhood At Grilling & Smoking

Quote:
How does 2 hours (or a bit under) cook time sound for a beer can chicken at 275? Chicken is about 4.5 lbs.
For a 4.5 lb I would usually do mine for 3+ hours @ 250 until I reach 165-170 in the thigh. This is what mine usually look like. Skin is not usually too rubbery ....

Weber Smokey Mountain
GOSM x 2
Vermont Casting Grill
Black Thermapen (only color available in these parts)

I'm A Meatetarian. It's A Lifestyle Choice!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Poultry