Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...
Old 06-18-2010, 02:12 PM
Up in Smoke

SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All
SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All
Default Hackberry?

Anyone ever heard of or use hackberry in your smoker? A good friend just gave me a couple logs to try out...Man the stuff sure is heavy...

Here in town there used to be a caterer that used hackberry all the time...His food was really good so Im anxious to cut it up and try it out...

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 06-18-2010, 02:25 PM
Up in Smoke

SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All
SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All

Here is a picture of the stuff...

Gnarly lookin stuff...gonna be fun to split, I got a feeling...

Old 06-18-2010, 05:29 PM
Pit Master

davidmcg Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacherdavidmcg Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacherdavidmcg Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacherdavidmcg Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacherdavidmcg Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacherdavidmcg Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacherdavidmcg Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
Anyone ever heard of or use hackberry in your smoker? A good friend just gave me a couple logs to try out...Man the stuff sure is heavy...

Here in town there used to be a caterer that used hackberry all the time...His food was really good so Im anxious to cut it up and try it out...

Haven't tried it. I know people that have. But I am not sure. I would like to try some PP smoked with it and see whats its like. if its good wood to use, then I got a mother lode.

David McGuire

McLouth, KS

Retired/disabled Wyandotte County, KS Deputy Sheriff

U.S. Veteran

"Cowards die many times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once. "
-William Shakespeare
Old 06-18-2010, 06:07 PM
Mistfit ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ

Texas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To All
Texas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To All

I think you will like it.. It is a dense wood.. I have never smoked with it... Not sure if it's a heavy flavor tho..

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Old 06-18-2010, 08:01 PM
Up in Smoke

Dense wood indeed...the stuff weighed a ton...should burn hot and long...flavor? Idunno yet...

Old 06-18-2010, 09:47 PM
Biltong King

Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All
Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All

Yikes!.... Kinda scary looking!.... Never heard of it, but keep us posted. I could not believe the density & weight of Olive when I first got some. Sheesh ..... Throw a chunk on some hot coals & see what it smells like.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:52 PM
<--- my mobile office

Ryan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To All
Ryan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To All

What did you think of it Craig?
Old 06-10-2014, 08:00 PM
Up in Smoke

I could not split it with my ax...Not even a bit...Thinkin I gave it to a bud for his fireplace......Havent seen it around for a while so it went somewhere...

Now Im wishin I woulda cut it in short rounds and give it a try but...You know....

Old 06-10-2014, 08:06 PM
<--- my mobile office

Ryan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To All
Ryan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
I could not split it with my ax...Not even a bit...Thinkin I gave it to a bud for his fireplace......Havent seen it around for a while so it went somewhere...

Now Im wishin I woulda cut it in short rounds and give it a try but...You know....
I've read you need to split while green or it gets to hard to split.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:38 PM
Up in Smoke

Also had a bunch of Bradford pear that a local smoke guru told me to try...Couldn't split it to save my ass...Guy that gave it to me said when he split it with a power splitter it pretty well exploded upon the split...

Guess ill stick with hickory and pecan with an occasion of mulberry...

Old 05-10-2015, 07:02 AM
Rub Mixer

eccj Is  A Name Known To All
eccj Is  A Name Known To Alleccj Is  A Name Known To Alleccj Is  A Name Known To Alleccj Is  A Name Known To Alleccj Is  A Name Known To Alleccj Is  A Name Known To Alleccj Is  A Name Known To Alleccj Is  A Name Known To Alleccj Is  A Name Known To All

Bradford pear is the shit Craig! Just like cooking with apple!
Old 05-10-2015, 07:28 AM
Up in Smoke

I never really got a lot of flavor from burning apple...Maybe just had the wrong trees...
I like mulberry...Grows like weeds around here...Folks will just about pay you to cut it down for them...Had the same problem...Seems some trees just didn't have the flavor that others did...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Wood & Their Smoking Flavor