X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worcestershire Sauce

Making Worcestershire Sauce - The recipe

Done simmering

Jarred for a 3 week infusion in the fridge after which the solids will be strained out and it will be ready for use.
    Last edited by gracoman; 10-10-2015, 12:48 PM. Reason: can't spell
    sigpic
    Fully Accessorized Primo XL Oval,
    -BBQ GURU DigiQ DX2,
    -AMNPS
    -And various other do-dads, gimmicks,
    gizmos and hornswaggles

Very cool!

Comment

I have thought of this before...But I'm just too lazy I guess...
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

See something new every day!! Here I thought ot was just Lea & Perrins who made that stuff...
        Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
        Yoder YS640
        Weber Genesis
        Weber 18.5" Kettle
        Weber Performer
        Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

The best use of Anchovies ever
          sigpic

Comment

Yeahbutt... Let's see you do it on a rotisserie...

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
            Paul

Comment

I've been putting this off for years.

Lea and Perrins is (or maybe was ) a fermented product. This is not.

This is really a test batch to see if I will use it for gifts this Xmas. It smells terrific and I believe it will really be a "bigger and bolder" sauce. If it is, I'll make a larger batch that will be re-bottled for friends and family.

Its easy to make but you'll have to do a bit of shopping for the ingredients. An Indian market should have most of the uncommon stuff.

I'll report back when it is finished which is coincidentally Halloween.

Thanks for the points
              sigpic
              -BBQ GURU DigiQ DX2,
              -AMNPS
              gizmos and hornswaggles

Comment

Sounds interesting.

Never thought about making it before.

Dave
                CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                UDS 1.0
                Afterburner
                Weber Performer
                Blue Thermapen
                Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                Auber Smoker Controller
                Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                -
                "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by gracoman View Post
                  I've been putting this off for years.

Lea and Perrins is (or maybe was ) a fermented product. This is not.

This is really a test batch to see if I will use it for gifts this Xmas. It smells terrific and I believe it will really be a "bigger and bolder" sauce. If it is, I'll make a larger batch that will be re-bottled for friends and family.

Its easy to make but you'll have to do a bit of shopping for the ingredients. An Indian market should have most of the uncommon stuff.

I'll report back when it is finished which is coincidentally Halloween.

Thanks for the points

Did you even sample a little bit before setting away? Great idea for Christmas gifts
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                    Did you even sample a little bit before setting away? Great idea for Christmas gifts
                    No I didn't sample any. The smell was very strong and it intensified after adding the caramelized sugar. I'm sure I had a big smile on my face after adding the sugar because that's when I knew
                    Three weeks is a fair amount of time to allow for an infusion. Enough time to change character drastically but not so long I can't wait. It still gives me plenty of time to make a larger batch if it finishes as well as I am expecting.

I found a few Worcestershire recipes online but I actually have the old Saveur magazine this one came in. The article was entitled "Serious Sauce" and was very convincing. I also liked the look of the ingredients more than all of the others. One had a very long list of ingredients, lemon and lime among them (in worshy sauce?), one had a full can of anchovies (bleechhh, I'm looking for umami not fish sauce).

So far I'm a happy guy. It will either be great, not worth the trouble, or trash. I seriously doubt it will be one of the second two but... If it's not positively outstanding I won't be giving any away. I'll know for sure in a few weeks.
                    sigpic
                    -BBQ GURU DigiQ DX2,
                    -AMNPS
                    gizmos and hornswaggles

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                      The best use of Anchovies ever
                      Hate-ah!
                      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Hmmmmm. Will anxiously await a report on the finished product....
                        Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Interesting project to say the least.
                          Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                          My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                          @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Strained and bottled. Is this home made Worcestershire Sauce everything the recipe claimed it would be? Bigger? Bolder?
                            Well the jury is in and the verdict is unanimous. Yes! Absolutely yes! Bigger and bolder in taste but perhaps a bit less refined than Lea & Perrins.

I am going to surprise a few folks with this stuff. A few lucky folks will receive smoked cheese, home smoked bacon, home smoked bacon candy, and a bottle of homemade Worcestershire.

I will look for more appropriate bottles, wrap them part way up with brown paper, and tie butcher's twine around the neck to hold the paper wrapping in place.
                            Hand labeled of course.

Last edited by gracoman; 11-05-2015, 02:55 AM.
                            sigpic
                            -BBQ GURU DigiQ DX2,
                            -AMNPS
                            gizmos and hornswaggles

Comment

Originally posted by gracoman View Post
                              Bigger? Bolder?
                              Well the jury is in and the verdict is unanimous. Yes! Absolutely yes! Bigger and bolder in taste but perhaps a bit less refined than Lea & Perrins.
                              Niiiice! I'm running low on my jug. Perhaps I just make some!
                              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
                              X