Smoked-Meat Forums

Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > General Information

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Active Threads
0 When your away from home and need to smoke...
Last Post: barkonbutts
Posted On: 02-25-2018
Replies: 5
Views: 37
0 Some Tenderloins and sides for the Olympics
Last Post: SmokinOutBack
Replies: 9
Views: 82
0 Brisket for burgers/ sausage?
Last Post: strength_and_power
Replies: 7
Views: 97
0 Obviously love posting Food
Last Post: Spivitz
Replies: 72
Views: 1,382
0 Smoked nuts and air fryer wings
Last Post: TKOBBQ
Replies: 6
Views: 152
More...
Mini Stats
Members 7,583 Entries 1
Members Entries
Threads 43,375 Reviews 1
Threads Reviews
Posts 651,771 Polls 37
Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...
Old 11-29-2017, 01:52 PM
Rub Mixer

Blinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God
Default Casings, seasonings cheese and the like

HAve my stuffer ordered. Now I need to make sure I got the right stuff here to use that dude soon as it shows up.

First thing I want to try is snack sticks. Off the waltons website that was recommended to me on my stuffer thread. For a 21mm snack stick tube what size casing and wat type of casing should it get ? Natural or collagene or do I need to use a different type casing? Do I Half to get the cure and all the rest of the stuff like citric acid? This is all new to me so I'm not sure what to order.

So let's not forget the cheese. Anyone have any particular they like with certain kinds of seasoning? Can I add beer instead of water to the snack stick mix?

Also how do you check your sticks to see if they have hit 160 internal?

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 11-29-2017, 01:59 PM
Rub Mixer

Blinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God

Looks like I need

Seasoning
Cheese
Cure
Sure gel
Casings
And beer replacement of the water?
Old 11-29-2017, 06:38 PM
Mistfit ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ

Texas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To All
Texas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To All

I will shed some light your way.. If this is your first swim in sausage making and snack stix I would say first try a packaged seasoning mix to get your feet wet. Yes you can substitute beer for the water.. As for casings, I am a firm lover of natural, but the collagen will give you a better constant size.. And yes you have to add cure, I am sure you could get the IT temp to 152° in under four hours but why temp fate..

Now once you get more comfortable on making sausage you can dabble in making your own seasoning mix.. The way I do mine is I test one pound batches, add seasoning do a test fry and then adjust as needed.. Then I place it covered in the fridge for the night and test fry again the next day since the flavors will meld and become more prevalent and you will see what a flavor profile you have.. Then adjust from there on your next batch add more of one seasoning or lessen a seasoning..

Hope this helps and I am sure we will get more feedback from some of the other sausage heads..

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Old 11-29-2017, 07:19 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

^ What he said. Don’t rush too much. I know the fever... and I know the shits too. Crawl..walk..RUN!
Old 11-29-2017, 08:02 PM
Rub Mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
I will shed some light your way.. If this is your first swim in sausage making and snack stix I would say first try a packaged seasoning mix to get your feet wet. Yes you can substitute beer for the water.. As for casings, I am a firm lover of natural, but the collagen will give you a better constant size.. And yes you have to add cure, I am sure you could get the IT temp to 152° in under four hours but why temp fate..

Now once you get more comfortable on making sausage you can dabble in making your own seasoning mix.. The way I do mine is I test one pound batches, add seasoning do a test fry and then adjust as needed.. Then I place it covered in the fridge for the night and test fry again the next day since the flavors will meld and become more prevalent and you will see what a flavor profile you have.. Then adjust from there on your next batch add more of one seasoning or lessen a seasoning..

Hope this helps and I am sure we will get more feedback from some of the other sausage heads..

As far as the brats I can say I can do them but the snack sticks are a new beginning.

I will Half to look at the Walton she and see if I can find a package deal. That's kinda what I was looking for at waltons but didn't find it but I may have over looked it. Any kinda of package deals u may recommend?

Thanks for the long post. I appreciate the explaining of it. I was hoping I could replace it with beer. Can you tell a difference by using ale or other beers to that matter?
Old 11-29-2017, 08:03 PM
Rub Mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richtee View Post
^ What he said. Don’t rush too much. I know the fever... and I know the shits too. Crawl..walk..RUN!

The squirts.....man i HATE the sqwuirts. Cows have them currently after opening up the silo lol
Old 11-29-2017, 08:44 PM
RIP Cowgirl Cassidy

BBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To All
BBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To All

My favorite snack sticks are put together like this...

Order a snack stick mix (they come with the right amount of cure...Willie's is one of my favorites.) They say you can add ECA if you want an extra tang, but I never have used it. Maybe I'll experiment with that next time.

Grab some high temp cheese if you want that. The last few batches of snack sticks I made were without...I didn't miss it and figured that it only served to up the cost of my sticks, but it is a personal preference.

Grab some casings. I prefer collagen casings...super easy to work with and very uniform. I have used the smoke and the clear...both produce a beautiful red casing after smoking.

Tips - get more casings than you will use. They keep and I have found that I need just a tad bit more than what they spec them out at... And since you are new at this you may waste a bit with blowouts.
The seasoning is for 25 lbs and has the appropriate amount of cure in a separate packet...if you make less than 25 lbs, you will need to accurately divide the cure for the amount of sticks that you make (read this as an accurate gram level scale). When I add the cure, I dissolve it in some liquid and add that as I believe it to more evenly distribute when I'm mixing it.

Here is my typical process and I use my grinder to help mix things up...
Course Grind
Season and cure (cure dissolved in water or beer and then rough mix by hand)
Fine Regrind
Mix in Cheese cubes by hand and add rest of liquid
Stuff
Rest overnight
Smoke slowly to 160°
Eat the hell out of 'em.

My last 25 lb batch...I'll add them here since photobucket effed up my posts (have I mentioned lately that they can kiss my ass?)

I added extra dehydrated jalapenos to the jalapeno mix - do this at the cheese add stage.

This pic has both clear and smoke (mahogany) casings... The lighter red sticks are in the clear casings.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Last edited by BBQ Engineer; 11-29-2017 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:23 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

It’s a labor of love for sure. And I’d love one Dana
Old 11-29-2017, 09:25 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinginpse View Post
Can you tell a difference by using ale or other beers to that matter?
ALWAYS use a good beer. Newcastle Brown is my call.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:40 PM
Rub Mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Engineer View Post

Order a snack stick mix (they come with the right amount of cure...Willie's is one of my favorites.) They say you can add ECA if you want an extra tang, but I never have used it. Maybe I'll experiment with that next time.

Grab some high temp cheese if you want that. The last few batches of snack sticks I made were without...I didn't miss it and figured that it only served to up the cost of my sticks, but it is a personal preference.

Grab some casings. I prefer collagen casings...super easy to work with and very uniform. I have used the smoke and the clear...both produce a beautiful red casing after smoking.

Tips - get more casings than you will use. They keep and I have found that I need just a tad bit more than what they spec them out at... And since you are new at this you may waste a bit with blowouts.

The seasoning is for 25 lbs and has the appropriate amount of cure in a separate packet...if you make less than 25 lbs, you will need to accurately divide the cure for the amount of sticks that you make (read this as an accurate gram level scale). When I add the cure, I dissolve it in some liquid and add that as I believe it to more evenly distribute when I'm mixing it.

Course Grind

Fine Regrind

Stuff

Rest overnight

Smoke slowly to 160°

Eat the hell out of 'em.

My last 25 lb batch...I'll add them here since photobucket effed up my posts (have I mentioned lately that they can kiss my ass?)

I added extra dehydrated jalapenos to the jalapeno mix - do this at the cheese add stage.

This pic has both clear and smoke (mahogany) casings... The lighter red sticks are in the clear casings.

Dude.....killer thanks very very much for taking the time to do this and explain. I'll go order it now. I have gotten confirmation my stuffer has shipped. Glad they come in 25# batches of seasons that's how it was with the brats and I liked that.

Quick question what ration y'all use for lean vs fat 80-20 70-30 60-40?
Old 11-29-2017, 09:41 PM
Rub Mixer

Quote:
ALWAYS use a good beer. Newcastle Brown is my call.

You use all beer for liquid or do you go half water half beer?

On my brats last year for the beer and cheddar and cheddar jalapeño I used a local brew called devils backbone. They turned out great. I'll look to see if Newcastle brown is local and give that a try
Old 11-29-2017, 09:46 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinginpse View Post
Glad they come in 25# batches of seasons that's how it was with the brats and I liked that.
Heh..wait till ya run 25 Lbs stix... PHEW!

Umm keep yer stix lean. Use a Newcastle for lube. Enjoy!
Old 11-29-2017, 09:48 PM
Rub Mixer

Quote:
Heh..wait till ya run 25 Lbs stix... PHEW!

Umm keep yer stix lean. Use a Newcastle for lube. Enjoy!

Yes sir lean it will be.

Have you guys made beef sticks from hamburger? I intend to do deer sticks but idea of lean hamburger came to mind since I'm about to kill a 1000# beef.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:50 PM
Rub Mixer

Ok boys Willie snack stick mix collagen casings and high temp cheddar has been ordered from waltons. 65$
Old 11-29-2017, 10:58 PM
The Mad Hunky!

All beer. Life is short. More beer. That is all.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:05 PM
Rub Mixer

Quote:
All beer. Life is short. More beer. That is all.

10-4 on that
Old 11-30-2017, 11:19 AM
Meat Mopper

Fishbum Is  A Name Known To All
Fishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To AllFishbum Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Engineer View Post

Course Grind

Fine Regrind

Stuff

Rest overnight

Smoke slowly to 160°

Eat the hell out of 'em.

Do you use beef or pork or a mixture of both when making your sticks? Just wondering because pork butts are on sale for .87 cents a pound right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2017, 11:44 AM
RIP Cowgirl Cassidy

BBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To All
BBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbum View Post
Do you use beef or pork or a mixture of both when making your sticks? Just wondering because pork butts are on sale for .87 cents a pound right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Those were a 50 / 50 mix of beef and pork. For the beef, I bought a chuck roll and ground my own like this...and those sticks were awesome. Great way to cut the cost of them. If you are like me, I give away as much as I eat....family and friends love to participate in my smoking experiments.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Old 11-30-2017, 04:57 PM
Sausage Slinger

dward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To All
dward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To All

I also would recommend sticking to a commercial prepared spice mix for your first snack stick smoke. And most do come with cure and some with the casings (usually collagen).

I've been using 100% beef (usually a 80% lean ground chuck from Sam's Club, but I do grind my own from a whole chuck roll occasionally). I am going to try a 50/50 mix with ground pork as from what I have heard, it does not really change the flavor profile and pork butts are way cheaper than beef.

I will throw one more recommendation into the mix....

Get a decent gram scale that will measure with 1/100th of a gram precision. You can find them on Amazon for around $25. Also get the correct calibration weight for the scale you buy. I bought one that weighs up to 500 grams with 1/100th of a gram resolution and it used a 100 gram calibration weight. Check your accuracy with the calibration weight both before weighing spices, cure, etc... and after. It should be spot on both times (this will let you know the weight of the spice, cure, etc... was also right).

Most other scales have a lower range of precision with small weights. My main meat scale has an accuracy 1/2 ounce on the lower end of the scale. Thats about 14 grams. When you are weighing cure, it's 1.13 grams per pound so a scale that could be off by as much as 14 grams is a huge problem.

This is the one I bought.

I love coming home. My back porch smells just like a BBQ joint.....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > General Information