Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...
Old 11-30-2017, 05:01 PM
Meat Mopper

Blinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacher

Do all Of you guys go 50/50 on your brats? That's how I did it last year beef pork deer pork and it worked out nicely for a beginner

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 11-30-2017, 05:30 PM
Pit Masters Assistant

Uncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To All
Uncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinginpse View Post
Do all Of you guys go 50/50 on your brats? That's how I did it last year beef pork deer pork and it worked out nicely for a beginner
Bling: A lot of Bratwurst recipes have 100% pork. I believe an authentic recipe called for pork + veal but veal is pretty expensive. I don't think you can go wrong on most formulations just as long as you have a lot of fatty meat. Depends on how lean of a sausage you like to eat. If your going for an American brat (ie: Johnsonville) I would say that is 100% pork (IMO is a bit fatty) I don't have any in the freezer to check though
Hope this helps,

Old 11-30-2017, 08:27 PM
Pit Master

erain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To All
erain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richtee View Post
Heh..wait till ya run 25 Lbs stix... PHEW!

Umm keep yer stix lean. Use a Newcastle for lube. Enjoy!
Small batch eh!

Highly recommend Cody's stick mix, comes with cure etc from Curley's sausage kitchen.
http://curleyssausagekitchen.com/Sea...ck-sticks.html

Curley's cotto salami is great summer sausage as well.

I also recommend the natural sheep casings for stix. They just seem to have a better snap than collagen. I use 22 mm and don't fill them too full and when you smoke/cook them turn out really nice if you take to 152-155 degrees internal.

PSE sells ICG brand casings which are the best you can get.
https://www.psseasoning.com/collecti...-sheep-casings
Dutch Ovens and other CI
Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

Old 11-30-2017, 10:01 PM
Meat Mopper

Blinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherBlinginpse Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by erain View Post
Small batch eh!

Highly recommend Cody's stick mix, comes with cure etc from Curley's sausage kitchen.

http://curleyssausagekitchen.com/Sea...ck-sticks.html

Curley's cotto salami is great summer sausage as well.

I also recommend the natural sheep casings for stix. They just seem to have a better snap than collagen. I use 22 mm and don't fill them too full and when you smoke/cook them turn out really nice if you take to 152-155 degrees internal.

PSE sells ICG brand casings which are the best you can get.

https://www.psseasoning.com/collecti...-sheep-casings

I will look through this. Thanks for the help. That's what I like is having several places to glance at and look over. Really appreciate the help fellers.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:58 AM
Hunt it, Fish it, EAT IT!

WALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To All
WALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To All

Bling,

I agree with Erain and prefer natural casings. I've had good luck with Syracuse Casing Company and like the tubed casings, especially for sheep which are tiny little buggars!

http://www.makincasing.com/

Biggest difference between collagen and natural from my experience is if you freeze them. The collagen seem to separate and I end up peeling them to eat them. Natural doesn't do that.

If you can use them up with no need to freeze, then as Dana has posted - collagen are easier and more uniform.

Good luck!
Old 12-01-2017, 09:02 AM
Meat Mopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WALLE View Post
Bling,

I agree with Erain and prefer natural casings. I've had good luck with Syracuse Casing Company and like the tubed casings, especially for sheep which are tiny little buggars!

http://www.makincasing.com/

Biggest difference between collagen and natural from my experience is if you freeze them. The collagen seem to separate and I end up peeling them to eat them. Natural doesn't do that.

If you can use them up with no need to freeze, then as Dana has posted - collagen are easier and more uniform.

Good luck!

10-4 I wasn't aware of the freezing part. I'll make sure these first don't make it to the freezer.

On the brats I made I'll say I preferred the natural Over the collagen they had more pop it seemed.

On the snack stick natural casings. Is there a prefered type of casing? Like sheep seems to be what is the snack stick go to! But that's just what I've read
Old 12-01-2017, 11:11 AM
Pit Masters Assistant

206 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God206 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God206 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God206 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God206 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God206 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God206 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God206 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God206 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God206 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God206 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God206 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God206 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God206 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God206 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God206 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God206 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God

TH's brat recipe can't be beat.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:43 PM
Meat Mopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 206 View Post
TH's brat recipe can't be beat.

Who is TH?
Old 12-01-2017, 04:45 PM
Meat Mopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sauce View Post
Bling: A lot of Bratwurst recipes have 100% pork. I believe an authentic recipe called for pork + veal but veal is pretty expensive. I don't think you can go wrong on most formulations just as long as you have a lot of fatty meat. Depends on how lean of a sausage you like to eat. If your going for an American brat (ie: Johnsonville) I would say that is 100% pork (IMO is a bit fatty) I don't have any in the freezer to check though

Hope this helps,

Big saucy after you mentioning johnsonville that tells me I don't want complete pork. I did 50/50 on lean and pork fat last year and was pleased so I will surely stay that rout then.

My amazn smoker tube and 2 2# bags pellets come today.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:58 PM
Barque Berner

Mark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To All
Mark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Who is TH?
TH is Texas Hunter, he owns the place. He has some great sausage recipes.

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!
Old 12-01-2017, 04:59 PM
Meat Mopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post

Ahhhhh ok wasn't aware. Hopefully I will get to chat with him
Old 12-06-2017, 11:52 PM
Hunt it, Fish it, EAT IT!

WALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To All
WALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Who is TH?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
OH DAYUMN! (fist explosion here)!

Ken -he just don't know....
Old 12-09-2017, 11:43 PM
Meat Mopper

Waltons just hit me for another 100$ bill.

Went ahead ordered me a new knife side scabbard got me a new 6" poly handle skinning knife more 19mm casings and another pack willies snack stick mix and a pound of provolone high temp cheese while was at it.
Oh and a 12mm stuffing tube too. 19mm is smallest that came with my stuffer.

Definitely the cheapest place to buy high temp Cheese
Old 12-10-2017, 12:42 AM
Biltong King

Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All
Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Waltons just hit me for another 100$ bill.

Went ahead ordered me a new knife side scabbard got me a new 6" poly handle skinning knife more 19mm casings and another pack willies snack stick mix and a pound of provolone high temp cheese while was at it.
Oh and a 12mm stuffing tube too. 19mm is smallest that came with my stuffer.

Definitely the cheapest place to buy high temp Cheese
Butcher and packer is also a good sausage website.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:23 AM
Meat Mopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishawn View Post

10-4 I'll look them up now while my last cows are milking. Cold here this morning water trough to my heifers has froze over.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:48 AM
Pit Master

nickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To All
nickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishawn View Post
I like Butcher Packer.....
Old 12-10-2017, 09:10 AM
Meat Mopper

Looks like their cheese is cheaper than waltons too.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:35 PM
Pit Masters Assistant

Uncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To All
Uncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To All

That high temp cheese is expensive with shipping - TH uses regular cheese with good success I believe - never tried it myself but aim too one day.

Butcher Packer is great as mentioned also another good place to shop for items is Allied Kenco. Just depends on what your looking for.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:37 PM
Mistfit ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ

Texas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To All
Texas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sauce View Post
That high temp cheese is expensive with shipping - TH uses regular cheese with good success I believe - never tried it myself but aim too one day.

Butcher Packer is great as mentioned also another good place to shop for items is Allied Kenco. Just depends on what your looking for.

Yes I do, you really have to keep an eye on your temps and not allow your smoker to exceed 180

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > General Information