Main Menu
Module Jump:
Active Threads
0 Casings, seasonings cheese and the like
Last Post: BBQ Engineer
Posted On: 12-15-2017
Replies: 54
Views: 654
0 Peanut Butter Meltaways (Bear's Favorite Candy!!)
Last Post: Bearcarver
Replies: 93
Views: 5,557
0 Food Proofer Conversion
Last Post: Sledhead01
Replies: 0
Views: 10
0 Poor Man's amazin smoker
Last Post: crusty ol salt
Replies: 27
Views: 478
0 Home made pierogies...and creme brle
Last Post: shellbellc
Replies: 14
Views: 145
More...
Mini Stats
Members 7,466 Entries 1
Members Entries
Threads 42,990 Reviews 1
Threads Reviews
Posts 645,017 Polls 37
Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...
Old 12-01-2017, 09:56 PM
Meat Mopper

Blinginpse Is On His Way To Becoming A Pit MasterBlinginpse Is On His Way To Becoming A Pit MasterBlinginpse Is On His Way To Becoming A Pit Master
Default Cold smoke cheese link?

My amazn tube and pellets Come today. I have a 5# ring of black waxed cheddar I got from the Dairy inspector last Christmas that hasn't been touched just trying to let it age longer cause I like the sharper type.

Figure since milk driver will be leaving me another ring in couple weeks I can go ahead and use this 1.

Can y'all give me a quick rundown on what do to or is their a link to another thread for cold smoking w the amazn and cheese?

Thanks boys

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 12-01-2017, 11:09 PM
Biltong King

Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All
Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All

Lucky you!

Personally, I think if I had that 5# block, I would cut it in 1/4's and vacuum seal the 3/4 of the 5# for future projects, or use. Then cold smoke the 1/4 and see what you think (after at least 2 weeks rest under vac seal in fridge). Temps should be as low as possible (like 90-) and airflow should be good and not restricted. I would go with a mild wood for smoke, and somewhere around 1-2 hours smoke time, then let it cool down 1-2 hours and vac seal. I probably left something oot, and folks will fill in the blanks. Just my thoughts, good luck!
Old 12-01-2017, 11:38 PM
🌵

THE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To All
THE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To All
Cool

First of all, after slicing into wedges/chunks of desired size, I would peel the wax away to allow for the smoke to penetrate all of the cheese.

I've not used the Tube bhut I do have the regular ole, plain ole AMNPS... Some people only like to go for a couple of hours to put a hint of smoke... I like a longer smoke for more smokey flavor. Here is one of my smokes on my Horizon stick burner... 2017 Starts Off Kinda Cheesy... Afterwards, you will want to let them sit for aboot 10 to 14 days before you dig into them to let the smoke "sink in"... I presume you have a vacuum sealer... If not, don't smoke more than you can use or give away before they would start to mold.
You'll want to keep your temps low or you will become a member of...
Richtee Cheese Smokers Anonymous...
Weber Smokey Joe

Not to mention the occasional campfire

SANTA FISH...

NRA Patron Life Member

"We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards. Strong beer is the milk of the old."
-Martin Luther-

Old 12-02-2017, 12:32 AM
Rub Mixer

strength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To All
strength_and_power Is  A Name Known To All

I would cut the pieces into similar sizes and smoke for varying lengths of time, 2,4,6 hours and label accordingly. Let rest under vacuum for the 14 days or so and then sample to find out what flavor profile you like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-02-2017, 08:10 AM
Meat Mopper

Blinginpse Is On His Way To Becoming A Pit MasterBlinginpse Is On His Way To Becoming A Pit MasterBlinginpse Is On His Way To Becoming A Pit Master

So after I smoke the cheese I need vacuum seal it for 14 days until I can tryit
Old 12-02-2017, 08:42 AM
🌵

THE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To All
THE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To All
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinginpse View Post
So after I smoke the cheese I need vacuum seal it for 14 days until I can tryit
The vacuum seal keeps oot the oxygen & inhibits any mold growth. I still have a couple chunks sealed up from last winter & they're still good - no mold. You don't have to seal it & wait. The waiting period simply allows the smoke to infuse further into the cheese.
Weber Smokey Joe

Not to mention the occasional campfire

SANTA FISH...

NRA Patron Life Member

"We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards. Strong beer is the milk of the old."
-Martin Luther-

Old 12-02-2017, 08:42 AM
Meat Mopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE ICEMAN View Post
The vacuum seal keeps oot the oxygen & inhibits any mold growth. I still have a couple chunks sealed up from last winter & they're still good - no mold. You don't have to seal it & wait. The waiting period simply allows the smoke to infuse further into the cheese.

Ok 10-4 on that
Old 12-02-2017, 08:44 AM
Cookin with fire

SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All
SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All

I smoke mine in my stickburner...Usually early in the AM when temps are cool...
I start with about 10 partially lit coals and place a foil pack of wood chips or nut shells on top of the coals...Poke some holes in the foil to let out the smoke
When it quits smoking it's done...Usually about 1-1.5 hours...Plenty of smoke and I can still taste the cheese

Yes it gets better with age but sometimes I will use it shredded in tacos or something without waiting...

If ya don't have a sealer then wrap tightly in cling wrap and then bag it and store it in the fridge...I've had it stay good for up to a year after smoking...
Old 12-02-2017, 08:49 AM
Meat Mopper

I do have a vacuum sealer and 2 cases of vacuum bag rolls
Old 12-02-2017, 09:45 AM
Pit Master

Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All
Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All

All good info above.
I'll only add that you can eat some sooner, but the flavor seem much better after 2 weeks of waiting.
However personally I don't see a lot of difference waiting much longer than 2 weeks.

Bear
Old 12-02-2017, 09:53 AM
Meat Mopper

It's gonna go down today as my first cheese smoke. Gonna do it we'll try it on my old cheap smoker for now. I believe it will vent well Enough to make the new smoke pipe work
Old 12-02-2017, 10:05 AM
Cookin with fire

SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All
SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All

Good luck man...It's not as tough as Rich makes it look

I cant be without my smoked cheese...I rarely just eat it straight but love it as part of any dish that calls for cheese...
Old 12-02-2017, 10:15 AM
Meat Mopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
Good luck man...It's not as tough as Rich makes it look

I cant be without my smoked cheese...I rarely just eat it straight but love it as part of any dish that calls for cheese...

That's me I can just eat cheese straight off the block just whack me piece off wit a knife and get to chawin. Not sure how everyone else will care for the smoked cheese. I liked what I had in Mississippi when was there hunting in the delta with a buddy on his place.

If it goes good I'll Half to ride about a hour and half To cheese plant where our milk goes some times and buy a 22# ring to get in deep in smoking cheese
Old 12-02-2017, 12:13 PM
Rub Mixer

strength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To All
strength_and_power Is  A Name Known To All

Shredded smoked cheese in a breakfast burrito is fantastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-02-2017, 12:15 PM
Meat Mopper

I lied it's a 2# block. It's all going in the smoker
Old 12-02-2017, 12:38 PM
Meat Mopper

Man this amazn puts out some heat. Ima half to deflect the heat and put cheese on off side too this could be tuff
Old 12-02-2017, 01:29 PM
Cookin with fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinginpse View Post
I lied it's a 2# block. It's all going in the smoker
I still cut mine into 8 ounce chunks...Maybe that's why I can get by with less smoke time...
Old 12-02-2017, 01:53 PM
Meat Mopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
I still cut mine into 8 ounce chunks...Maybe that's why I can get by with less smoke time...

I cut that block Into 6 chunks and it's been on the smoker for a hour now. Had to do some heat deflecting
Old 12-02-2017, 02:06 PM
Meat Mopper

Here is a video of my current cheeeeeeez smoke. Don't laugh at my smoker it's a cheapo I've had for couple Years that make my BBQ sauce on
https://youtu.be/nR_Lx1IDwL8

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > General Information