Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...

Old 12-02-2017, 02:43 PM
Rub Mixer

strength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To All
strength_and_power Is  A Name Known To All
Default Sanitizing equipment

When y'all make sausage, bacon etc., do you use any type of sanitizing solution after cleaning with hot soapy water?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 12-02-2017, 03:26 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

I typically save that for just BEFORE I make sausage, etc. The stuff goes away clean..and a wipe with peroxide or a sanitizing wipe makes me happy.

After poultry functions a sani-wipe is SOP. Or a peroxide wipe. MAny are unaware of hydrogen peroxide’s ability to clean and disinfect..while being very safe and “green”. It decomposes to water and oxygen in a short time upon exposure to light and air.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrog...e#Disinfectant
Old 12-02-2017, 04:08 PM
Rub Mixer

strength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richtee View Post
I typically save that for just BEFORE I make sausage, etc. The stuff goes away clean..and a wipe with peroxide or a sanitizing wipe makes me happy.

After poultry functions a sani-wipe is SOP. Or a peroxide wipe. MAny are unaware of hydrogen peroxide’s ability to clean and disinfect..while being very safe and “green”. It decomposes to water and oxygen in a short time upon exposure to light and air.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrog...e#Disinfectant

Thanks Rich. Great info

Old 12-02-2017, 04:20 PM
Sausage Slinger

dward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To All
dward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To All

I store my equipment clean (yeah, I know.... duh!), but right before use, I re-wash with dish soap and after rinsing give the components that will be indirect contact with the meat a dunk in a mild solution of plain bleach & water. You could use a commercial sanitizing product, but good old plain bleach (not gel, not scented, etc...) still works as well as it did a century ago.

When done, I hand wash components made of aluminum like the grinder head, but items that are stainless or dishwasher safe get an initial hand wash to remove any meat bits or visible grease, and then go right into the dishwasher which I then run on a normal cycle with "hot water" and heated drying. Once everything is dry, it is stored clean and this process is repeated on the next use.

I like to wash everything immediately after use before the meat and residue has a chance to dry in place on the stuffer, grinder head, etc... Experience has taught me that if the residue is still moist it is easier to get off. I have had to re-wash my stuffer body by hand before when I did not pre-wash it and let it sit too long as even the dishwasher did not get all the dried bits off. Do it right, do it once.

My logic is store it clean, sanitize right before use, clean after use, and store it clean.

1 TBL of bleach to 1 gallon of water for sanitizing surfaces and tools, or as an alternative you can use 3% solution of hydrogen peroxide straight from the bottle.

I love coming home. My back porch smells just like a BBQ joint.....

Last edited by dward51; 12-02-2017 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-02-2017, 04:32 PM
Rub Mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
I store my equipment clean (yeah, I know.... duh!), but right before use, I re-wash with dish soap and after rinsing give the components that will be indirect contact with the meat a dunk in a mild solution of plain bleach & water. You could use a commercial sanitizing product, but good old plain bleach (not gel, not scented, etc...) still works as well as it did a century ago.

When done, I hand wash components made of aluminum like the grinder head, but items that are stainless or dishwasher safe get an initial hand wash to remove any meat bits or visible grease, and then go right into the dishwasher which I then run on a normal cycle with "hot water" and heated drying. Once everything is dry, it is stored clean and this process is repeated on the next use.

I like to wash everything immediately after use before the meat and residue has a chance to dry in place on the stuffer, grinder head, etc... Experience has taught me that if the residue is still moist it is easier to get off. I have had to re-wash my stuffer body by hand before when I did not pre-wash it and let it sit too long as even the dishwasher did not get all the dried bits off. Do it right, do it once.

My logic is store it clean, sanitize right before use, clean after use, and store it clean.

1 TBL of bleach to 1 gallon of water for sanitizing surfaces and tools, or as an alternative you can use 3% solution of hydrogen peroxide straight from the bottle.

Sounds very similar to the processes when I was homebrewing. I got really good at watching water boil and doing dishes.

Old 12-02-2017, 06:11 PM
Pit Master

nickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To All
nickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To All

+1 on the above as well. All equipment gets a bath and counters get three wipe downs, Soap and water, rinse followed up with bleach.

I even clean my sinks and faucets like this.

I also keep my knives in a sani solution and swap out my cutting board throughout the process if it is going to be long or I swap meats.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:40 PM
Pit Masters Assistant

Uncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To All
Uncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To All

S&P - I'm a big vinegar fan. To increase the effectiveness of bleach you can add some vinegar to it as well. Research shows that vinegar + bleach is hard to beat at killing (1 gallon water, 1 oz. bleach, 1 oz. vinegar) - vinegar reduces the PH of bleach to kill nasties.
Or as Rich pointed hydrogen peroxide also works great and added with vinegar also increases its effectiveness.

Old 12-02-2017, 06:49 PM
Let's Rock Louie!

Slanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To All
Slanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To All

counter is ammonia...a Louie thing...rest is bleach & HP...never had the squirts with that gig...well maybe lunch @ taco hell...

Old 12-02-2017, 06:56 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Another tid-bit.. bleach solutions.. yes likely stronger than used for sanitizing- CAN pit stainless and aluminum. Not to mention ruin yer BBQ apparel
Old 12-02-2017, 07:24 PM
Pit Masters Assistant

Uncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To All
Uncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Not to mention ruin yer BBQ apparel
We can’t have that happening

Old 12-02-2017, 07:37 PM
Sausage Slinger

dward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To All
dward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To All

Another thing I do is use plastic coated freezer paper to make a work area on my table. It's inexpensive, sanitary (made to wrap food with) and easy to clean up - just roll it up and toss it. And you can mark on it for cutting stuff to length to fit in the smoker. Plastic side up of course.

I love coming home. My back porch smells just like a BBQ joint.....

Old 12-02-2017, 07:40 PM
Pit Master

nickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To All
nickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Another tid-bit.. bleach solutions.. yes likely stronger than used for sanitizing- CAN pit stainless and aluminum. Not to mention ruin yer BBQ apparel
Yes, more is not better. I have a nice filet knife that I left in a solution too long and ruined the edge.

I have some prepacks of dry stuff that is premeasured for the proper ratio.

I also prefer the sanitabs that is much less offensive.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:20 AM
miss ya gary....

chefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To Allchefrob Is  A Name Known To All
chefrob Is  A Name Known To All

i use bleach @ the right PPM.................

it's all good my friend..........
Old 12-04-2017, 10:24 AM
Orycteropus Bbqensis

curious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To All
curious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To All

If I'm doing game, I'll use dettol surface cleaner disenfecting spray for a wipe down.

But otherwise just wash up in sink with hot soapy water (dish liquid claims antiseptic qualities).
Guess you can't actually over do it.
But you can probably do a fair amount of unnecessary stuff :-)

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head
Old 12-04-2017, 11:34 AM
Pit Master

PitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To All
PitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To All

for those of you using bleach, ammonia or other harsh chemicals, Do you rinse afterwards? I would imagine you wouldn't want that stuff, even in tiny amounts, getting into food. And if you are rinsing does it concern you that you're rinsing your sanitized surface with unsanitized water? Or do you boil the rinse water first? I know there's been quite a discussion in the homebrewing world that rinsing with tap water after sanitizing basically negates the sanitizing.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:52 AM
The Mad Hunky!

Yes... brewers should allow their santizing to air dry in a clean area. Brewing/fermenting is even more susecptable to issues/infections as it’s kept at relatively high tmps for sometimes weeks in the fermentation process.

I used to use that “Iodophor” I think it was called. Air dry and kept in a clean cabinet I set up for the stuff.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:36 PM
<--- Me Li'l Sous Chef

HawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To All
HawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To All

Sand blaster...

~ P4 ~

There are good ships and wood ships,
The ships that sail the sea,
But the best ships are friendships,
And may they always be.

http://www.hhsbbq.com
Old 12-04-2017, 08:58 PM
Cookin with fire

SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All
SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All

Yeah I don't know shit about sausage making but when it comes to my canning I wash everything before I put it away and wash it again when I bring it out...Just has to be
Old 12-04-2017, 09:23 PM
🌵

THE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To All
THE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To All
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawgHeaven View Post
Sand blaster...
That'll work...

Squirrel has her own method...

Weber Smokey Joe

Not to mention the occasional campfire

SANTA FISH...

NRA Patron Life Member

"We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards. Strong beer is the milk of the old."
-Martin Luther-

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Food & Cooking Safety