Posted On: 12-13-2017
Replies: 16
Views: 150
0 Project
Last Post: Richtee
Replies: 16
Views: 149
0 Peanut Butter Meltaways (Bear's Favorite Candy!!)
Last Post: Uncle Sauce
Replies: 89
Views: 5,495
More...
Mini Stats
Members 7,464 Entries 1
Members Entries
Threads 42,981 Reviews 1
Threads Reviews
Posts 644,840 Polls 37
Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...

Old 12-05-2017, 12:00 PM
Rub Mixer

strength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To All
strength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To All
Default First go at sausage

With grinder, stuffer and a pork butt in hand, I broke my sausage cherry. Made some mild Italian and Beer Brats. I used collagen casings as those seemed like they'd be more forgiving for a newbie. All went fairly smooth. Twisting the links seems like a bit of voodoo that will take some practice. If anyone has a good video link on this or a tutorial, that would be much appreciated. Did a fry test with the leftovers in the stuffer and the taste was good. Definitely leaner than anything similar from the store.
Thanks for looking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 12-05-2017, 12:22 PM
Bourbon bifocals

Uncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To All
Uncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To All

Great looking sausages You are happy with the fry test and it looks like you nailed the stuffing gig. Sweet success I'd say!
Thank you for sharing

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
Clint Eastwood

Old 12-05-2017, 12:23 PM
Barque Berner

Mark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To All
Mark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To All

The hook is set!!!! Looks pretty good, better than anything you can buy!

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!
Old 12-05-2017, 01:00 PM
<--- Me Li'l Sous Chef

HawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To All
HawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To All

Looks grate!!!

~ P4 ~

There are good ships and wood ships,
The ships that sail the sea,
But the best ships are friendships,
And may they always be.

http://www.hhsbbq.com
Old 12-05-2017, 01:17 PM
Pit Master

Checkered Past Is  A Name Known To AllCheckered Past Is  A Name Known To All
Checkered Past Is  A Name Known To AllCheckered Past Is  A Name Known To All

Very nice looking links .... Bet they taste great too
Old 12-05-2017, 01:19 PM
Rub Mixer

TKOBBQ Is Becoming A Smoke GuruTKOBBQ Is Becoming A Smoke GuruTKOBBQ Is Becoming A Smoke GuruTKOBBQ Is Becoming A Smoke GuruTKOBBQ Is Becoming A Smoke GuruTKOBBQ Is Becoming A Smoke GuruTKOBBQ Is Becoming A Smoke GuruTKOBBQ Is Becoming A Smoke GuruTKOBBQ Is Becoming A Smoke GuruTKOBBQ Is Becoming A Smoke GuruTKOBBQ Is Becoming A Smoke Guru

Looks like a great start coming out of the chute.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:24 PM
Pit Master

tadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To All
tadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To Alltadowdaddy Is  A Name Known To All

Looks good to me!!!!!!!!!!!

Humphrey's Pint
Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"
Weber Spirit SP-310 Gas Grill
Anova One Sous Vide
AMPS
Purple Thermapen
Maverick ET-733
DigIQ DX2
Misfit #1674

Old 12-05-2017, 01:24 PM
Pit Master

PitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To All
PitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To All

looks good from where I'm sitting! I bet they taste great too. for your first try.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:59 PM
Pit Masters Assistant

Location: Lewiston, ID. Can see three states from office window.
driedstick Is  A Name Known To Alldriedstick Is  A Name Known To Alldriedstick Is  A Name Known To Alldriedstick Is  A Name Known To All
driedstick Is  A Name Known To Alldriedstick Is  A Name Known To Alldriedstick Is  A Name Known To Alldriedstick Is  A Name Known To Alldriedstick Is  A Name Known To Alldriedstick Is  A Name Known To Alldriedstick Is  A Name Known To Alldriedstick Is  A Name Known To Alldriedstick Is  A Name Known To Alldriedstick Is  A Name Known To Alldriedstick Is  A Name Known To Alldriedstick Is  A Name Known To Alldriedstick Is  A Name Known To All

Dang it man them sure look good,,,, Nice job on good looking snausages
Therma Pen
Maverick 732
Mini Therma Pen
Frog Mats
Weber Junior
AMPS & AMPTS
Old 12-05-2017, 02:10 PM
Pit Master

devo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To All
devo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To All

Great looking first time sausages, some sausage makers create links with four or five gentle twists, which is the time-honored method with natural casings. Collagen tends to untwist, however. To prevent that, many sausage makers tie each link with butcher's twine. It helps to have a helper as you go :)

PBC Drum Smoker
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
THE BIG EASY INFRARED TURKEY FRYER
Miss Piggy Smoker
Sedona SD-9000 food dehydrator
Old 12-05-2017, 02:12 PM
Pit Masters Assistant

Uncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To All
Uncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To All

for your first sausage S&P! Looks great

Old 12-05-2017, 02:12 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Well done, Sir! And natural casings are easier IMO. I bust more collagen by far...
Old 12-05-2017, 02:32 PM
Pit Master

devo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To All
devo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richtee View Post
Well done, Sir! And natural casings are easier IMO. I bust more collagen by far...
I totally agree, being able to soak natural casings gives you that little bit of forgiveness and when you buy a whole Hank of them its alway fun to figure out just where that dam end is that you need

PBC Drum Smoker
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
THE BIG EASY INFRARED TURKEY FRYER
Miss Piggy Smoker
Sedona SD-9000 food dehydrator
Old 12-05-2017, 02:42 PM
Pit Master

SmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To All
SmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To All

Nice job!

@SmokinJim52 on Twitter
Old 12-05-2017, 03:24 PM
Keepin' on Smokin'

Bassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To All
Bassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To All

Nice looking sausages! Have some first timer .

Smoke Vault 24
Old 12-05-2017, 04:24 PM
Rub Mixer

strength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To All
strength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To All

Thanks all. Y'all deserve a thumbs up for the assist as the knowledge shared here definitely helped.

Kinda funny how I had a small shop I did metal fabrication in but recently closed it up. Now my shop is the kitchen,
Welding table- counter top
Saws- knives
Steel- meat
Grinder- meat grinder/ meat slicer
Welding smoke- wood smoke

A few questions:

I had a few blowouts when I was twisting. I just squeezed out the sausage and ran it through the stuffer again figuring the extra practice wouldn't hurt. I left one end of the casing untied and started at the opposite end when I did the twisting figuring any excess sausage would go that direction. Sounds like the natural casings link better or is there any method to leave some room as I go to allow for the sausage displaced by the twisting?

Benefit of stainless stuffing tubes over plastic?

I want to make summer sausage next and the fibrous casings are a good bit bigger than the largest stuffing tube that came with the stuffer. Can I make it work or should I be looking for a larger stuffing tube?

Thanks again

Old 12-05-2017, 04:54 PM
Pit Master

Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All
Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All

Very Nice looking Sausage, S & P !!---

Hard to believe it's your first !!!

Nice Job!

Bear
Old 12-05-2017, 07:43 PM
Pit Master

nickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To All
nickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by strength_and_power View Post
Thanks all. Y'all deserve a thumbs up for the assist as the knowledge shared here definitely helped.

Kinda funny how I had a small shop I did metal fabrication in but recently closed it up. Now my shop is the kitchen,
Welding table- counter top
Saws- knives
Steel- meat
Grinder- meat grinder/ meat slicer
Welding smoke- wood smoke

I can relate ......both of them are fun.

A few questions:

Quote:
I had a few blowouts when I was twisting. I just squeezed out the sausage and ran it through the stuffer again figuring the extra practice wouldn't hurt. I left one end of the casing untied and started at the opposite end when I did the twisting figuring any excess sausage would go that direction. Sounds like the natural casings link better or is there any method to leave some room as I go to allow for the sausage displaced by the twisting?
A little of both, They are more forgiving. but can be less uniform. Yours look great.

Quote:
Benefit of stainless stuffing tubes over plastic?
Personal preference. I like them both and use both.

Quote:
I want to make summer sausage next and the fibrous casings are a good bit bigger than the largest stuffing tube that came with the stuffer. Can I make it work or should I be looking for a larger stuffing tube?

What kind of stuffer do you have and what is the largest size you have?

You need to make sure you get all the air out of the casing.
Thanks again
Have to share some points for your first!

Old 12-05-2017, 08:22 PM
Biltong King

Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All
Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All

/\ /\ What Nick said.

Personally, I don't care for Collagen casings for links/linking, but like them for long runs for stix, and prefer Sheep casings butt kinda a PITA to thread onto the stuffer tube. That said, I have not tried the pre-threaded Sheep casings, which are apparently a lot easier to work with

NICE JOB!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Sausage