Slow Cooker Carnitas with Pico de Gallo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow Cooker Carnitas with Pico de Gallo

I know this website is all about smoked meats, but I thought I would share a very basic and delicious recipe for slow cooker carnitas. This is a awesome way to cook some inexpensive pork that will fill your house with a wonderful aroma. It also is very easy, as all you need to do is throw everything in the slow cooker and let it work its magic! Enjoy!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iliCwL1HPok" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Smoking Salmon the easy way, Smoked Tri Tip, Smoked Baby Back Ribs, Smoked Pork Loin, Apple Smoked Bacon, Slow Cooker Carnitas with Pico de Gallo, Slow Cooker Beef Stew
    Smoked and Cured Chicken using Pop's Brine,Smoked and Cured Pork Loin with a Whiskey & Orange Glaze,Smoked and Cured Turkey

Nice job, gotta try this.
    I'm no Gynecologist
    But I'll take a look at it

Comment

Sounds pretty good, I will give it a shot.

Thanks for posting.
      Pete
      Large BGE
      Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

I have to admit, I haven't used the slow cooker for things like this, but I really should. It would be so nice to walk in from work and have dinner almost ready. I'm going to do this in the near future and give pork carnita tacos it a run. Thanks for the inspiration.

Once again, geat job on the video...and the finished meal looks excellent!
        BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
        Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
        I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Nothing wrong with the crock pot and a weekday of work and come home and food is ready!! very nice!
          Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
          Yoder YS640
          Weber Genesis
          Weber 18.5" Kettle
          Weber Performer
          Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

We made these last night and it's very good and the Mrs loves the ease of the recipe. We used a shoulder roast as they were on sale. We'll certainly do these again, thanks and have some dinner

Pete
            Large BGE

Comment

Originally posted by Abelman View Post
              We made these last night and it's very good and the Mrs loves the ease of the recipe. We used a shoulder roast as they were on sale. We'll certainly do these again, thanks and have some dinner

Wow, awesome to see someone make my recipe! Those carnitas tacos look exactly like the ones I made at the end of the video. I showed my wife your photo, and she thought it was a photo I took. Remember that any leftovers freeze wonderfully in a freezer bag with a little bit of the liquid. Simply reheat on the stove top when you want delicious carnitas. Thanks for trying my recipe, and I am glad you liked it!
              Smoking Salmon the easy way, Smoked Tri Tip, Smoked Baby Back Ribs, Smoked Pork Loin, Apple Smoked Bacon, Slow Cooker Carnitas with Pico de Gallo, Slow Cooker Beef Stew
              Smoked and Cured Chicken using Pop's Brine,Smoked and Cured Pork Loin with a Whiskey & Orange Glaze,Smoked and Cured Turkey

Comment

This looks awesome! Great video! I haven't used my crock pot in years, other than to warm things up. Yes, there is nothing like walking into the house after a long day at work and smelling the dinner that is waiting for you.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Looks tasty. Is there an ingredient list somewhere?

Comment

Well, let's just say I wrote something down off the video

"Carnitas Slow Cooker style and Pico de Gallo

4-5# pork shoulder roast or butt
                    2 tsp kosher salt
                    2 tsp cumin
                    2 tsp garlic powder
                    1 tsp coriander
                    1 tsp dried oregano
                    2 cups of chicken broth
                    1 or 2 onions
                    4-6 bay leaves

Mix the dry spices and leave in a bowl. Dice the onion and place on the bottom of the slow cooker along with bay leaves if you want. Place the pork on top of the onions. Then, sprinkle the dry rub on the pork and rub in just a bit. Pour the chicken broth along the side and not on the dry rub. You may not have to put all of it in and can reserve some for later.

Set cooker on low and let cook until the pork is shredding tender in 6-8 hours. If you can, flip in half way through.

Once it’s done, shred. Easy to vac pack and freeze. For the pork you will eat, spread on a cookie sheet. Lining it with tin foil will help in clean up. Place the pan in a 400° oven for about 10 minutes or enough to crisp up the pork a bit. When you take it out, sprinkle some of the juices from the cooker to add back some moisture. Serve on flour or corn tortillas.

Pico de Gallo

Equal parts diced onions and tomatoes
                    Cilantro, fresh diced to taste
                    Garlic salt to taste
                    Black pepper to taste
                    Fresh squeezed lime juice or bottled to taste

Mix all of this up and let it sit in the fridge for at least 30-minutes.

Place on top of tortillas and add some fresh crumbled Cojita cheese on top.
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iliCwL1HPok"

If I missed something.....
                    Pete
                    Large BGE

Comment

Very nice...
                      My wife has more crockpots than I have charcoal grills
                      But they rarely get used...
                      Sooooo...I reckon I need to turn this into an all day grilling adventure...
                      Craig
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by strength_and_power View Post
                        Looks tasty. Is there an ingredient list somewhere?
                        If you check out the video on YouTube I have listed all the ingredients and cooking instructions under the video description. Thankfully Abelman has listed the instructions for you, so thank you Abelman. I an glad you tried the recipe and enjoyed it!

Comment

I need to do more crock pot'in. I have loads of meat in the freezer and not enough time to always smoke. Thanks for the great looking dish.
                          sigpicYeah...that's right...I'm smokin'.

The GOOD ONE smoker grill
                          Weber 22 1/2 Wannabe (aka WW)
                          Weber 22 1/2 Silver One Touch
                          Smokey Joe New model, Smokey Joe 1984 model
                          fire pit in the yard
                          10 & 12 Lodge DO,
                          Maverick ET73, ET732.
                          A-MAZE-N SMOKER 5x8, RED HOT Thermapen
                          MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric smoker

Rick

Comment

Working...