Question about judging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about judging

County Fair time, decided to pass on competing and said I'd judge. It's same day as kid's day and I'd rather watch kids have fun, and they did. This was yesterday, I was one of three judges for ribs. My question, I think I know the answer, they allowed garnish in the box when we were picking up rib bones we were getting parsley stuck to it. Were we supposed to eat it with parsley? Pick it off? Deduct for it? Beings it was a backyard we just picked it off. What's the proper way to do it? I really do hate garnish. I asked the other judge who has a BBQ truck at the fair and he had no clue but then again I had to explain to him what the money muscle was in a pork butt. He'd thought they turned loin in

On a side note I really enjoyed judging, have a feeling my ribs would've done well but oh well. Out of 7 teams only one that wow'd us all. I finished that rib. If I recall they had a good box except one rib wasn't a clean cut. One box they placed ribs in box upside down and drizzled a store bought sauce on it. One looked absolutely awesome but it was overcooked and extremely dry. Could only take one bite and really wanted to just spit it out. One guy left the membrane on, causing me to pull on rib to hard, slipped out of hands and onto my lap. I didn't stick around to see who won, had to go change and get to the demolition derby.
    sigpic

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
    Were we supposed to eat it with parsley? Pick it off? Deduct for it? Beings it was a backyard we just picked it off. What's the proper way to do it? I really do hate garnish. I asked the other judge who has a BBQ truck at the fair and he had no clue but then again I had to explain to him what the money muscle was in a pork butt. He'd thought they turned loin in

On a side note I really enjoyed judging, have a feeling my ribs would've done well but oh well.
    Shoulda had your wife and Nolan enter! Sounds like they'd have won. ;)
    I'd have picked off the parsely too. I don't need greens with ribs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Kent [sigpic

Lang 36" Patio
    GMG Daniel Boone
    Husker Red UDS V.2014
    22" Black Weber Kettle V.1988
    40" MES V. 2
    British Racing Green Thermapen w/Glow-in-the-dark silicone boot!
    Thermapen Smoke

Comment

That's what we did, just picked it off. Something tells me though that in the kcbs it'd be a no no but maybe I'm not recalling correctly.

The wife played mud volleyball and their team remains without a win after about 7 years doing it. Nolan did the pedal pull, got his 4th first place finish this year. Wasn't really even any competition, they stopped him with a full pull, which is 40-45 feet. Next closest was about 25'. One more county Fair and then onto state. The BBQ comp got over to late last year and by the time we got done we missed so.e of the demo derby. Really wanted to take Nolan this year and glad we did he had a blast. Got parade today and the kids are going to ride rides until we can get his 4h stuff.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
      sigpic

Comment

No..KCBS rules would NOT penalize for garnish sticking. And I hate it too
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Ok thanks Rich, I couldn't remember. Every dam rib that the cook used parsley we had to pick off about 5 leaves. Then you had 1 that used regular lettuce and it looked horrible. The last box just baffled me, they stacked the ribs on top of each other. Not sure which I enjoy more, judging or actually competing.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
          sigpic

Comment

I seen a technique with kale that looked nice...AND quick. And kale IS allowed. And “too heavy” to likely stick to the food. But..I think my comp days are in the past. I’ll prolly judge some close to me tho.
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
              I seen a technique with kale that looked nice...AND quick. And kale IS allowed. And “too heavy” to likely stick to the food. But..I think my comp days are in the past. I’ll prolly judge some close to me tho.
              Never used kale before. Hmmm. Too late now, my comp daze are over as well. Let the ones with the stamina and desire to do it have at it.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

My last Comps were FBA (Florida BBQ Assn), garnish is not allowed for the reasons you mention.

"13. DISQUALIFICATION – An entry can be disqualified by the FBA Representative only. An entry can be disqualified for any of the following reasons:
                b) There is anything in the box besides the meat."

It just adds an unnecessary step (In my opinion)
                https://fbabbq.com/fba-competition-rules/

I've been thinkin about doing another one now that I can. But....now that I have the time......I don't have the money!

I may still save up and give it another go....as soon as it cools off a bit!
                Mark
                sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                  My last Comps were FBA (Florida BBQ Assn), garnish is not allowed for the reasons you mention.

"13. DISQUALIFICATION – An entry can be disqualified by the FBA Representative only. An entry can be disqualified for any of the following reasons:
                  b) There is anything in the box besides the meat."

It just adds an unnecessary step (In my opinion)
                  https://fbabbq.com/fba-competition-rules/

I've been thinkin about doing another one now that I can. But....now that I have the time......I don't have the money!

I may still save up and give it another go....as soon as it cools off a bit!
                  Yeah, I never understood the whole garnish thing. Just arrange the meat in the box and eliminate the putting greens! Just concentrate on the cooking for God's sake!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I'd dock points for putting parsley on ANYTHING !

Why do people do that ?

Hell taste wise you'd be better sprinkling fresh mown grass on your food.

The correct garnish for ribs is either:
                    1) another rib
                    2) reeses peanut butter cups :-)
                    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                      I'd dock points for putting parsley on ANYTHING !

Why do people do that ?

Hell taste wise you'd be better sprinkling fresh mown grass on your food.

The correct garnish for ribs is either:
                      1) another rib
                      2) reeses peanut butter cups :-)

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

My Ex-Father in Law was a gold gloves boxer, a sailor in the south pacific during WWII, he grew up with the Dick and Jerry Van Dyke. I really loved and enjoyed being around him. He his since past and I really miss him.

Everytime when we would go out to eat, he would pick the parsley garnish up off his plate and ask me the following;

Marcus, do you know do you know the difference between this and pussy is?

No Bill, what is the difference between parsley and pussy?

You eat the pussy.... and he would throw the parsley onto the table.

Fair winds and following seas Bill.
                        Last edited by crusty ol salt; 05-20-2019, 04:01 PM.
                        Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Hallelujah!

Marcus,
                          That post was the highlight of my day! Perfect!

Here's a toast to your father-in-law, he was golden! And right.
                          GMG Bowie pellet pooper
                          Masterbuilt upright gas smoker
                          Weber Elite gasser
                          Various Thermoworks devices-Love them!

Comment

Originally posted by tlunny View Post
                            Marcus,
                            That post was the highlight of my day! Perfect!

Here's a toast to your father-in-law, he was golden! And right.

Luv it!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by crusty ol salt View Post
                              My Ex-Father in Law was a gold gloves boxer, a sailor in the south pacific during WWII, he grew up with the Dick and Jerry Van Dyke. I really loved and enjoyed being around him. He his since past and I really miss him.

Everytime when we would go out to eat, he would pick the parsley garnish up off his plate and ask me the following;

Marcus, do you know do you know the difference between this and pussy is?

No Bill, what is the difference between parsley and pussy?

You eat the pussy.... and he would throw the parsley onto the table.

Fair winds and following seas Bill.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X