No announcement yet.

Brisket - to slather or not to slather?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brisket - to slather or not to slather?

I will be smoking a gorgeous 12-pound brisket for Father's Day next weekend. I've made a kick-ass rub that I've used before and the brisket came out perfect (see attached pics). I've read a few articles about using a simple yellow mustard slather prior to adding the rub and wanted to get the group's thoughts on this method?

I would think that a slather would not let the rub adhere to the meat, therefore not providing the deep bark that I am looking for in my cook.

BTW - I usually add some beef tallow & wrap my brisket in butcher paper post-stall, and cook it that way for the remainder of the cook prior to placing it in my cooler or oven to rest.

Any suggestions and feedback would be appreciated

Peace.
    Attached Files

If using mustard, use it very thin.
    There's really no need for a binder of any kind. The rub will stick just fine to the moisture of the meat.

But if you want a binder, try Mad Hunky "Just Add Beef"
    It will melt on the meat surface (adding tons of flavor) and your rub will stick well to that wet layer.

Just Add Beef can be found here Mad Hunky Meats - Handcrafted Rubs and Brines
    Rich will take good care of you and you BBQ
    Craig
    sigpic

Comment

Thank you so much. I'll check it out

Comment

Another option is to dry the brisket and start your seasoning by adding a generous layer of Kosher salt. The salt will make the meat sweat and your rub will stick very well to the surface of the meat.
        Bored Guy Blog

Comment

On beef I use a neutral oil, or Worchestershire sauce.

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
            But if you want a binder, try Mad Hunky "Just Add Beef"
            It will melt on the meat surface (adding tons of flavor) and your rub will stick well to that wet layer.

Just Add Beef can be found here Mad Hunky Meats - Handcrafted Rubs and Brines
            Rich will take good care of you and you BBQ
            If ya wanna try it, I can have a sample out Monday. On me... The Mad Hunky! :)

PS: PM your mailing address of course.
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
            X