My garden update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My garden update

Been eating a little, disappointed in some stuff and I hate rabbits. We replaced transplants 3 times due to them. Fence is working! Had a very cold April so alot of the stuff I planted then was real hit and miss for a stand. Radishes about done. Spinach was real spotty and it's bolting so we got one meal off of that.
    This pic is brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage on the right. Next row is radishes.

First time doing broccoli and cauliflower so far looking good

Romaine was really bad. Out of a 100 foot row I got 8 to come up

Carrots on right, they came up pretty good. Middle row is kohlirabi, disappointed in that. Further down is sugar snap peas. Left row is regular peas. Need to get a fence up.
    Green beans and cow peas. Should have a decent crop.

I've made reference in the past that I have a crabgrass problem. The preen is working. Where there's no grass I have plants.

Sweet potatoes

Butternut squash, need to spray the fence line on the left. Debating on spraying the crabgrass or tilling it up.

Hard to see but these are some of the peppers. Way to the left in the metal cages are the tomatoes and eggplant. I take a roll of 30" hardware wire 1/2"*1" and make cages that are about 15" height.

Not pictured are 3 row of beets just coming up. Swiss chard. Pickling cucumber, regular cucumber, acorn squash, okra, watermelon, canteloupe, zucchini, and yellow squash. Got some sort of volunteer squash/cucumbers. Also lemon cucumbers. In the spare space I planted some black eye peas from my cupboard. If the come up they come up, we shall see. Put some more green beans and pickling cucumbers in today. Ended up with 10 eggplants, 28 tomatoes and 84 peppers (due to the wife thinking the rabbits got them, they obviously didn't).
    I've got a holding pen(where I put animals to load out) that I'm planning on tearing out and rebuilding. For the last 8 months I usually had some pigs in there, so very well fertilized. We planted giant pumpkins in it tonight. Going to be a contest of who has the biggest. Kids each planted their own hill and the wife and I are sharing a hill. Planted 2 hills of Jack o lantern pumpkins also.

Hopefully the preen keeps working. Got the sprinkler going now for some much needed moisture.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk
    sigpic

Well you're having more fun than I am.
    My garden got squashed by hail.

Some plants will survive but only time will tell if they will produce.
    Craig
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
      Well you're having more fun than I am.

My garden got squashed by hail.

Some plants will survive but only time will tell if they will produce.
      I don't know about the fun part. We were out there in 90 degree heat most of the day.

Hopefully those plants surprise you. Like you said only time will tell. I remember in 94 we had a hell of a storm. Dad had a 40 acre field of soybeans next to the house. They were probably six inches tall. After the hail it was just a stem. He was ready to replant but grandpa said just wait. There's a good chance of it forming a callous and shooting a new stem off the side. He was right. Plus if you stress a soybean at the correct time it gives better yields. At that time it was good to get 40 bushels an acre, he got 60.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk
      sigpic

Comment

Nice plot!! Lotta work, rabbits and squirrels )*&(^&$%^&(^&^%(!!!
        Weather is weird, we got rain last night (1"ish) first in a month and a half. I have an irritation system that keeps my stuff alive, not like rain though. Another oddity, I'm getting lots of blooms, but not much pollinated. Don't see any bees at all, maybe cause it's been so dry.
        Oh yea, my bush beans are done/over, gone bye bye.
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Working...
        X